Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2015, 04:41 PM   #1
Dee84cali

What about that 303 aerospace protectant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dee84cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:01 PM   #2
bluesquids

The carry handles and other straps will deteriorate over time, the screws that hold them down will seize up really good by the time you want to replace them, some type of anti seize on them would be a good idea.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:33 PM   #3
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesquids View Post
The carry handles and other straps will deteriorate over time, the screws that hold them down will seize up really good by the time you want to replace them, some type of anti seize on them would be a good idea.
Good call. I had one seize up. Had to heat it with a soldering iron until the plastic around it melted enough for me to pull it out about 1/8 inch and get a wrench on the molded in nut that was spinning. Put in a new screw, reheated and was able to push it back in.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:09 PM   #4
bluesquids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee84cali View Post

I use to put that on my yak often....i did it cause i also put it on my hot tub cover religiously...the cover got fried pretty good anyways. It probably works to some extent....I would just not leave it in the sun during storage.....yaks kept out on yachts for years fade and turn pretty brittle.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:30 PM   #5
Hunters Pa

Disappointed

I was really expecting at least a couple smart-ass comments here.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:00 PM   #6
Dee84cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
I was really expecting at least a couple smart-ass comments here.

Made it threw without a scratch... Lol

Dee84cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:18 AM   #7
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee84cali View Post

I bought that stuff by the gallon (I think I still have about 1/2 gallon left) when I had a float tube and PAC 800 Pontoon boat. It kept them from fading to a minimum and because of the slick coating it seemed to help me glide through the water. It also reduced the slime/algae coating from some of the lakes I've fished which I hope will do the same for my kayak (or rather oil and tar balls up here)!.
As with my reels during the season or between servicings I use this to keep screws and bolts from freezing or corroding also (along with Corrosion X) ;
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...sporting%2C402
I was introduced to this cleaner when I was working in a tackle shop and trained how to properly service reels, it seemed to help frozen screws and bolts when soaked overnight.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:05 AM   #8
HobieScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinYakr View Post
I bought that stuff by the gallon (I think I still have about 1/2 gallon left) when I had a float tube and PAC 800 Pontoon boat. It kept them from fading to a minimum and because of the slick coating it seemed to help me glide through the water. It also reduced the slime/algae coating from some of the lakes I've fished which I hope will do the same for my kayak (or rather oil and tar balls up here)!.
As with my reels during the season or between servicings I use this to keep screws and bolts from freezing or corroding also (along with Corrosion X) ;
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...sporting%2C402
I was introduced to this cleaner when I was working in a tackle shop and trained how to properly service reels, it seemed to help frozen screws and bolts when soaked overnight.
FFY

Good call on the CLP. That's another product I use. It's designed for the firearms industry and its what I use on all my guns for hunting season. I never thought to use it on fishing gear.

HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:51 AM   #9
SASQUATCH

A great solution for stuck bolts/ rusty hardware is 50% acetone and 50% transmission fluid. Was tested against all the top brands of break free solutions and beat them hands down. I've used it many times and swear its the only way to go. Way less expensive too. Try it, you'll be a believer.
SASQUATCH is offline   Reply With Quote