Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
Deefeesha

Missing Kayaker in Malibu

Just saw this on the news.

Anyone have information? News said a call was reported, but they aren't sure of the validity.

If so, I hope this individual is okay.
Deefeesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
jorluivil

I know matt(stinkymatt) was there today fishing with a few other guys. The last time that I talked to him they were already heading in. Hope this story has a happy ending.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
jorluivil

http://www.losangeles.uscgnews.com/go/doc/834/1265651/

Coast Guard searches for missing kayaker near Malibu

LOS ANGELES-The U.S. Coast Guard and Baywatch Malibu are searching for a missing kayaker near Malibu, Calif., Dec. 29, 2011.
The missing man was reportedly assisting another kayaker when he vanished from sight approximately 1.5 miles east of Point Dume, Malibu.
Baywatch units reportedly found an empty kayak containing a life jacket and a paddle in the search area.
The Coast Guard received the initial call from Baywatch at around 3 p.m.
Shortly after notification, a rescue boat crew from Coast Guard Station Los Angeles was dispatched to the area to aid in the search.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
theluckypig

george, any word from matt?
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
jorluivil

I just got a text from him so he's fine. I asked him if everyone he was with came in with him, waiting on a reply.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
jorluivil

Just heard from him....all three guys are accounted for

Old 12-29-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
theluckypig

good news... i hope that person is found asap...
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
The missing man was reportedly assisting another kayaker when he vanished from sight approximately 1.5 miles east of Point Dume
That's the BKR area. I wonder if he was fishing?
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #9
Dave k

Since the found a paddle in the yak my guess is it's a diver. Hopefully everything is ok...
Dave k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #10
StinkyMatt

Just got home from Malibu and got a heads up from George.

We fished in the area described in the report. There were 4 other kayakers out there. Two were freedivers workiing it tight to the boilers outside of Point dume, no more then 200 yds.

The other set of yakers we saw coming from the Esco directions heading to Dume at around 1pm. Chatted with them a little, they were planning to fish the blow hole outside of Dume. Neither one of these areas would be the exact location of the report. At least one of the kayakers appeared in the know about the area, he was not wearing a pfd.

I sure hope this turns out Ok.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #11
ericko

glad you boys are home....how was the fishing?
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:47 AM   #12
bubblehide

First, I'm glad to hear you guys are all okay.

Second: it looks like a 65yo male called 911 from the yak, stating that he was having chest pains, and a BMW was towed from the parking area; he was yaking alone, and his PFD was on the yak. It doesn't sound good at this point. Coast guard is involved in the search today.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:25 AM   #13
jorluivil

Bummer.

Keep those jackets on boys. I could be wrong but isn't this the second time someone goes missing that wasn't wearing his pfd? Wasn't there one in NPB a few months back?

Old 12-30-2011, 06:30 AM   #14
mtnbykr2

I just heard a little blurb "rental kayak, 65 year old, called 911 with chest pains" yak and PFD found...He probably took it off during pain of heart attack...unfortunate circumstances...thoughts and prayers to family
Old 12-30-2011, 06:45 AM   #15
MrPukaShell

Saw this on the new this morning. Does not look good. According to the report I heard they found the Kayak with the PFD clipped on. Too bad the guys was not inside. I for one never take mine off unless I am removimg my jacket and then it goes right back. It was a lime green malibu kayak I saw them loading on the resuce truck. Quite the bummer........
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:00 PM   #16
maui jim

Baywatch units reportedly found an empty kayak containing a life jacket and a paddle in the search area.
[/QUOTE]

Pam Anderson.......needs no life jacket,..... The "Hoff " does though...
Old 12-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #17
rayster
Junior

I think this show why we should not go out by our self and we need to carry a radio since 911 goes to CHP and they have no clue about the water ways.
rayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #18
Drake

I'm usually a culprit for removing my life jacket when I get hot or uncomfortable, but never when I'm alone, never in less than lake like conditions and never more than 1/2 an ear shout from land. I should be better about it, especially since I'm in the Coast Guard.
I also keep a Safety whistle, Firefly (Signal strobe), signal mirror, Sar knife and Chem lights in my PFD. I know, they don't do me any good in the back of my kayak. I do however, tether it to my belt loops when it's behind me, just in case I ever went over (knock on wood)

It's a sad story, and in the CG we say after 48 hours it's no longer Search and Rescue, its a recovery mission. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #19
JohnnyCope
The Four-Finger discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayster View Post
I think this show why we should not go out by our self and we need to carry a radio since 911 goes to CHP and they have no clue about the water ways.

Coast Guard number saved to your phone !!!! till you get a radio.
JohnnyCope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:45 PM   #20
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
It's a sad story, and in the CG we say after 48 hours it's no longer Search and Rescue, its a recovery mission. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.
Yeah you hate to say it but the guy's probably gone. He went into 57 degree water two miles offshore, evidently while suffering some kind of heart attack. If he was alive they should of already found him. They found the kayak upside down right where the Cell GPS positioned it, and it was fair weather, a relatively calm day. The CG has called off the search, as there is pretty much no chance he's going to be found alive.

If the current was moving east to west he could be 20 miles offshore by now, and with the amount of sharks that frequent that area just offshore: blues, mako's and whites, it wouldn't surprise me if they never found him at all.

There are worse ways to go then paddling offshore on a beautiful day off point Dume. If I had to choose a way to go I'd say it sure beats the hell out of cancer, or Alzheimer's.

I was talking to a buddy about this today. My take I'm not afraid of dying out there as long as it's fast, but the idea of floating around for several days in frigid water fending off curious blue sharks does make me pretty uncomfortable.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 12-31-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote