Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2006, 10:27 AM   #1
Billy V

Newbie to BWE.com

Hi Guys,

I'm new to your sport and chomping at he bit to get started. Big Thanks to Cory who I meet last night at La Jolla Shores for tipping me off the your board, and answering some questions for me. (Nice YT btw)

I'm in the process of outfitting a Hobie Adventure to fish LJC. I'm at the point where I need to chose a fish finder and appreciate any help I can get.

Looking forward to fishing with you guys.

Billy V
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
Corey

Hey Bill, Welcome to the board.

How much do you want to spend on a fishfinder? I cannot personally recommend any particular model, as my Eagle is not working anymore, but I know alot of these guys could give you some info. If you've got a higher budget a ff/gps combo would be sweet.

get bent,

corey
Old 09-13-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

I think if you can afford it, a gps/ff combo would be great. There are so many spots that I wish I had plotted. I used to have a few on my lil handheld, but I dumped my kayak and lost it to the LJ surf gods. I have my eye on this one but since most my fishing purchases come from spare money, it takes a while to save.
http://www.humminbird.com/productlin...asp?ID=618#383
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
hooked
on phonics

Not to jack the thread, but I think this is related.

For a guy with a limited budget looking for a FF, would a color fishfinder be more or less valuable than a grayscale w/ more resolution?

Thanks,
Old 09-13-2006, 11:13 PM   #5
Billy V

I have been looking at the Humminbird 383c, it is definitely a contender.

I would rather save up a few bucks and get a decent model the first time around.

I've been reading all the info I can about rigging the yak, lots of good pics on the site that show rigged boat. Its coming along.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:47 AM   #6
Mike K.

I've had a old humminbird 400 series for over a year with no problems yet. I'd like to hear the input of those who have the color models with gps but I find that mine doesn't drain batteries like I've heard they do and the sensitivity is all I need for finding bait, depth and bottom contour and I meter fish very well. I am not much of a bells and whistles type and this FF has more features than I will probably need anyway. I have a handheld GPS which works fine and I can take it out in the field to my favorite hiking and hunting spots. The newer, nicer ones have software for maps and all kinds of neat stuff so I don't see limiting my GPS use strictly to on the water in a FF as a benefit.