Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-05-2006, 05:17 PM   #1
Mike K.

a good, inexpensive camera rig for the yak

Had a few people ask me about the camera I carry and thought I'd give my 2 cents....I considered one of the newer waterproof models but just didn't like the idea of exposing all the moving parts/nooks and crannys to fine sand and salt. Even if it's waterproof, it gets grimy and the lens is subject to scratches/bumps and so on. I've dropped mine on the deck, found that it had fallen out the the bag behind the seat and into the bait tank and was floating there etc. and it keeps coming back for more.
What I bought was a Sony DSC-S60 which is a year or so ago's model. On e-bay you can get them new or nearly new for around $75-110. The S90 is almost identical. It is a 4.1 megapixel with plenty of features. It takes AWESOME pictures in NO light...got some grunion photos to prove it...and nice ones in normal conditions. If you want to make poster sized pictures, get a higher resolution camera. For me, I just wanted a good all around rig. NOW THE GOOD PART...Amazon.com has a waterproof housing for it normally around 75-100$ for $19.99. You can also get a combo deal with a charging cradle, rechargeable batteries, and cables for hook up to the computer or T.V. for an extra $19.99 (about $39 total) with free shipping with orders over $25.. It's the Sony SPK-SA housing which works with both the s60 and s90. It's waterproof to only around 8-9ft. but I don't plan on diving with it so that's fine for me and possibly most of you. IT FLOATS!!! which saved my butt once already plus, the housing makes it more shock proof. It's a plastic housing so it get's scratched but the lens area is glass. I recommend making your own lens cover for the housing lens just to keep it clean it from smudges in a dirty/wet environment. For the price, I got 2 housings just in case. So for a total of around $100-120 it makes an economical and really functional set up and a lot cheaper than the $250-350 prices I've seen for the newer cameras without a housing. Only draw back so far are you must keep the rubber gasket lubed and clean which is no biggie, and you can't use the audio when shooting video in the housig cause there's no mic. outlet. Camera shoots video with sound otherwise. Definitely not pushing the product but found it to be my best option and maybe it will help someone out there. P.S....IF YOU DO DECIDE TO BUY, I'D BUY THE HOUSING FIRST. Don't know how many Amazon has left but it seems to be a clearance type item. So far, the cameras seem to be readily available on e-bay but, as always, CHECK IT ALL OUT FOR YOURSELF FIRST!
Old 09-06-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
Johnny T.

Thanks Mike Between your advice and Iceman's recent contributions, this gives me a good jump start... makes sense to snag the housing given the good deal.

Johnny T.
Johnny T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 04:32 PM   #3
zeelaagee

Send a message via AIM to zeelaagee
Canon makes a great line of water housings for their consumer digital cameras- I've used them while SCUBA diving and they're quite functional.
zeelaagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:48 AM   #4
Mike K.

Yeah, i've checked out the other housings but economy was on my mind and the other housings were usually almost as much as the camera. My main point was that for the price this system was hard to beat.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:09 AM   #5
splitty

Hi Mike,

Great post very informative!
Guy Hansen here, I'm a newbie to this board, hope I'm welcome since I've recently met most of the folks who post here?

I've been looking for a nice yak camera with a water housing so the tips here are very useful. I'm also on a budget after tying up major dinero in my Canon 20DSLR gear and lens ranges from 19mm to 600mm recently???

Did a little checking on the camera and agree it has some super nice features and the price is awesome! For starters, the Carl Zeiss lens is top notch for a small package, which explains why you have great picture results in low light! To my delight Amazon still had the packages you mentioned!!! One concern I had was repeated bad reviews on this camera regarding power issues??? (Here's a link to some reviews - http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/digi...0_reviews.html)

The problem gist is unexpected shut down, or not being able to shoot pictures, only able to look at pictures already on the memory card etc.?
One reviewer said the problems are all due to consumers using regular AA akaline batteries? He switched back to 2000+ maH grade Ni-MH batteries every thing worked perfectly?

Granted it's best to take reviews with "a grain of salt", but wanted to see if you are using the ni-mh batteries or have had any similar issues?.
Appreciate your opinions as the price and image quality is "spot on" this setup! I'm thinking of picking one up...

Thanks in advance,
Guy
splitty is offline   Reply With Quote