Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-05-2017, 08:16 PM   #21
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
I had about 6 hobbies and I started out in the sport with a hobie. I currently have a 2016 outback. I also bought a pair of ocean kayaks last oct just after release of new models, one being a 2017 trident 15. Since owning a paddle kayak I have not used my hobie. It's great having hands free, but the trade offs suck. The ability to stow rods in hull, and the ability to get through tuff surf with paddle kayak are enormous advantages. Hobie really needs to come up with some aggressive changes. PA is a great platform on the water but not practical for anywhere else except LJ beach launching ( harbors, marinas, lakes excluded ). The outback is a solid platform on water but slow compared to a fast kayak. Weight capcity of revo is kinda shady. Nothing spectacular about it in surf either . Speed is not bad if you carry minimal gear and don't have any fish on board.
My sentiments exactly. Also if your drive breaks down fixing it on the water is a pain or if you don't have spare parts you have a rough paddle back. Yes rod storage underneath, surf maneuvering and speed are nice advantages. I also use a sail to further my options.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:20 AM   #22
PapaDave

I once tried a paddle kayak when I first started this sport out. Would launch out of Dana Point and usually headed south. When I was fishing the paddle was always in the way. I had no control over it when drifting unless I was paddling, which means that I wasn't holding the fishing pole while fishing.

One day the wind came up and it took me roughly 2.5 hours to get back to the harbor. It was rough, for every two feet I went forward the wind kicked me back one and a half feet. There was no rudder, so the wind pushed the kayak all over the place, couldn't keep it straight. Was very tired and sore for the next week or so.

The next weekend went to see Tim at DP Jet Ski, he let me demo an Outback for the day. When I got back I bought a PA and haven't looked back.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:00 AM   #23
goldenglory18

There is a lot of discussion on Hobie and their pedal yaks. Just remember folks, there are more companies out there that are in the pedal game now...

Wilderness Systems / Preception
Native
Old Town
NuCanoe

goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:47 AM   #24
TJones

It ain't no secret

Wind sucks, and yes your legs are very powerful. I've been caught in borderline situations many times where I had no business being out. These situations can arise out or nowhere without warning sometimes, but generally are forecasted. I have been out after a along work week on both types of kayaks under varied conditions and in my opinion, if you are not well rested, you will not have a pleasant day on water if it is other than lake like conditions. How often do you catch paligics in lake like conditions? Personally, I think Part of the fun is getting out there and trying to get some exercise, even if it is only for a couple of hours on water. Yes, we all want to spend 12 hours on water from sun up till sundown till the fish decide to bite, but realistically 6-8 hours on water is a long day for any of us combined with any kind of commute. If you are really serious about making transition, visit some local shops for a demo.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:11 AM   #25
SHRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing619 View Post
For the people that has upgrade from a paddle
Kayak to a peddle kayak is it worth the money
What is the difference at the end of the day.
If it's the slightest bit breezy it's well worth.
My Outback has the 180 drive. Reverse is quite handy!!
SHRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:47 AM   #26
GTboosted

TJONES would you say that your trident 15 can keep up with a Hobie over long distances? I got a buddy looking for a yak longer than 14ft.

Right now he is fishing out of my Revo 16 and we always cover many miles.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:35 PM   #27
CON KSO

I don't know if you plan on fly fishing off your yak but I do it all the time- I have to keep the boat pointed into the wind in order to fly fish and I don't see how this would be possible in a non-peddle kayak. In my PA 14 I will fish regardless of the conditions, windy or not because I know I can keep the boat pointed and still keep my fly in the water.
CON KSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:58 AM   #28
Flounder

Hobie drive vs propeller drive

Anyone notice a problem with the non Hobies making a lot of noise while pedaling? I hear the gears on the drives on most youtube videos and stealth is a concern to me. So I will be doing a lot more research through oex and fastlane to figure out what I want. Any info is helpful!
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:45 PM   #29
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
I had about 6 hobbies and I started out in the sport with a hobie. I currently have a 2016 outback. I also bought a pair of ocean kayaks last oct just after release of new models, one being a 2017 trident 15. Since owning a paddle kayak I have not used my hobie. It's great having hands free, but the trade offs suck. The ability to stow rods in hull, and the ability to get through tuff surf with paddle kayak are enormous advantages. Hobie really needs to come up with some aggressive changes. PA is a great platform on the water but not practical for anywhere else except LJ beach launching ( harbors, marinas, lakes excluded ). The outback is a solid platform on water but slow compared to a fast kayak. Weight capcity of revo is kinda shady. Nothing spectacular about it in surf either . Speed is not bad if you carry minimal gear and don't have any fish on board.
Sent you a pm.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:40 PM   #30
Fishing619

New Hobie PA14 Camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing619 View Post
For the people that has upgrade from a paddle
Kayak to a peddle kayak is it worth the money
What is the difference at the end of the day.
Well i did got a hobie went to fast lane they had a demo PA14 Camo editin at a good price i couldn't pass out, took it out yesterday and what a difference thank you all for the replays,
Fishing619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:39 PM   #31
Orca Winfrey

Congrats!
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote