Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
Drake

Your days of eating Pacific Ocean fish are soon over...

This is worth a read. I don't buy much into sources such as these, but this concerns us all. If anyone has further insight, please share.

http://www.themindunleashed.org/2013...of-eating.html
The heart-breaking news from Fukushima just keeps getting worse…a LOT worse…it is, quite simply, an out-of-control flow of death and destruction. TEPCO is finally admitting that radiation has been leaking to the Pacific Ocean all along. and it’s NOT over….
I find myself moving between the emotions of sorrow and anger.
It now appears that anywhere from 300 to possibly over 450 tons of contaminated water that contains radioactive iodone, cesium, and strontium-89 and 90, is flooding into the Pacific Ocean from the Fukushima Daichi site everyday. To give you an idea of how bad that actually is, Japanese experts estimate Fukushima’s fallout at 20-30 times as high as as the Hiroshima and Nagasaki nuclear bombings in 1945
There’s a lot you’re not being told. Oh, the information is out there, but you have to dig pretty deep to find it, and you won’t find it on the corporate-owned evening news.

An MSNBC article in April of 2012 reported that seals and polar bears were found to have “external maladies” that consisted of fur loss and open sores, obvious signs of radiation burns from the Fukushima meltdown, despite the conclusions of the article.
Fukushima radiation appears to be causing an epidemic of dead and starving Sea Lions in California and the FDA has refused to test for radiation

Update: Huffington Post reports that the reactors used “dirty fuel,” a combination ofplutonium and uranium (MOX), which means we can never return to this place again. This comes from a Russian nuclear physicist who is an expert on the kinds of gasses being released at Fukushima.

Almost a third more US West Coast newborns may face thyroid problems after Fukushima nuclear disaster
Contaminated water from Fukushima reactors could double radioactivity levels of US coastal waters in 5 years — “We were surprised at how quickly the tracer spread”

above: German Scientists have calculated the dispersion of Cs-137 in the Pacific Ocean

WHAT’S GOING ON WITH THE PACIFIC OCEAN FOOD CHAIN? – May 2013 –Researchers from the Japan Agency for Marine Earth Science and Technology reported in early 2012 that they have detected radioactive cesium from the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant in plankton collected from all 10 points in the Pacific they checked, with the highest levels at around 25 degrees north latitude and 150 degrees west longitude. Plankton, and the radiation they contain, moves right up the food chain through fish, whales, seals, etc., and when larger fish eat smaller fish. Kyodo: Highest levels of Fukushima contamination in plankton already east of Hawaii?

A WARNING TO SEAFOOD LOVERS EVERYWHERE – Scientists previously reported higher-than-expected concentrations of radiation in fish off Japan. Now there are calls for testing of seafood sold in the U.S. Although contaminated air, rainfall and even radioactive debris from Japan have drifted toward the U.S. West Coast since the disaster occurred 2 1/2 years ago, scientists are unclear about how the contaminated waters could impact the health of Americans, and while scientists say that 300 tons of contaminate water is diluted in the Pacific, no one knows how long that’s been going during those 2 1/2 years as we also now know TEPCO has been lying all along. Nuclear experts are calling on the U.S. government to test West Coast waters and Pacific seafood sold in the U.S. in the wake of Japan’s alarming admission about an ongoing radiation leak, something the EPA and the FDA have so far refused to do, as they are only testing imported fish, not wild-caught. WHY? The only way to protect your children and grandchildren is by NOT EATING SEAFOOD from the Pacific Ocean until we have better information (Source). Information posted at the website of The Department of Nuclear Engineering at the University of California recommends not buying any fish from the Pacific Ocean or western states, including Baja.

WHAT YOU HAVEN’T BEEN TOLD ABOUT FISH CONTAMINATION
Tissue samples taken from 15 bluefin caught in August, five months after the meltdowns at Fukushima Daiichi, all 15 contained reactor byproducts cesium-134 and cesium-137.

The 15 fish tested were only exposed to radiation for a short time. But bluefin arriving in California now will have been exposed to the Fukushima radiation for much longer.

Unlike some other compounds, radioactive cesium does not quickly sink to the sea bottom but remains dispersed in the water column, from the surface to the ocean floor.Fish can swim right through it, ingesting it through their gills, by taking in seawater or by eating organisms that have already taken it in.

The overwhelming scientific consensus is that there is no safe level of radiation … and radiation consumed and taken into the body is much more dangerous than background radiation.

The Telegraph notes that scientists tagged a bluefin tuna and found that it crossed between Japan and the West Coast three times in 600 days: All Pacific migratory fish are likely Fukushima contaminated.

Why have Contaminated Alaskan Halibut been found even though halibut don’t migrate? The cesium-134 contamination from radioactive plumes doesn’t just fall on land.

Study shows Fukushima nuclear pollution becoming more concentrated as it approaches U.S. West Coast — Plume crosses ocean in a nearly straight line toward N. America — Appears to stay together with little dispersion (MODEL)

Pacific herring in Canada bleeding from eyeballs, faces, fins, tails — I’ve never seen fish looking this bad — All 100 examined were bloody — Officials informed of hemorrhaging soon after 3/11 — Gov’t ignoring problem.

Unprecedented: Sockeye salmon at dire historic low on Canada’s Pacific coast — “We think something happened in the ocean” — “The elders have never seen anything like this at all” — Alaska and Russia also affected.

Japan Times: Fukushima Daiichi radioactive water problems seem ‘uncontainable’ — Believed to be wreaking environmental havoc upon Pacific Ocean.

Reuters: Crisis deepening at Fukushima nuclear plant; Upgraded to ‘Level 3 Serious Incident’ — Represents a 100-fold increase in “severity of a radiological release” — Tepco says highly radioactive leakage continues, but unknown where from.

It’s more than obvious that TEPCO officials have no idea what they’re doing, and the big question is why aren’t world governments jumping in to contain what’s going on? Meanwhile, the Pacific Ocean may very well be dying.

Australian Physician and anti-nuclear advocate Dr. Helen Caldicott Warns of Contaminated Fish and Ocean
Japan Nuclear Crisis: The Dangers of Radiation

Also see this video of her speaking in 2012
Quotes from Dr Caldicott
“Plumes of radioactivity from Fukushima are migrating in the Pacific towards the U.S. West Coast.”
“[Chernobel]] is one of the most monstrous cover-ups in the history of medicine”
“Then we extrapolate to japan. Japan is – by orders of magnitude – many times worse than Chernobyl.”
“I knew the three GE engineers who helped design the GE Mark 1 reactors. They resigned because they knew they were dangerous. Japan built them on an earthquake fault.”
“Diablo and San Onofre are both built on earthquake faults, haven’t you seen enough of an earthquake to see what it does…and in a tsunami area.”

What is the greatest threat to humanity? We are, of course….and our technology. Like a dangerous weapon in the hands of a child, technology has overtaken our capacity to control potential consequences. Oxford University’s Future of Humanity Institute, led by director Nick Bostrom, says we have entered this new kind of technological era that we have no track record of surviving.
Our technological intelligence may have the potential for creating a better world, but so far, in areas of the economy, genetics and biologics, arms and warfare, security and surveillance, as well as the environment and energy, technology is also completely indifferent to the law of unintended consequences.
Fukushima is what happens when we have the moral responsibility of infants and the technology of adults.

Source of this article: CollapsingIntoConsciousness

Last edited by Drake; 08-26-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
Dannowar

i would rather swim in a radioactive ocean and eat radioactive fish than EVER hear this song again, thats all i got

Old 08-27-2013, 05:06 AM   #3
roadx

im no scientist but the flow model makes no since to me. isnt there a gyre? you know the one that collects all the trash in the middle of the pacific? i see no gyre effect in this model. it looks like it shoots straight over like shot out of a hose. hmmmmm
Old 08-27-2013, 05:11 AM   #4
roadx

Old 08-27-2013, 05:48 AM   #5
Ddwineguy

You statement about the source reads true. Look at some of the sources used in this article. Where it says the berkley website posted that you should not eat fish from the Pacific Ocean was really a anonymous post on the board's forum. It than lists a ton of organic foods you should be eating. This is just more hyperbole from the natural food police. I see nothing new here about this disaster. Yes the area immediately around the plant is a dangerous area but the ocean dilutes all pollutants quickly. In fact most areas around Japan are tested, declared safe and are open to fishing again. You see that's real science. Study, Test and make a conclusion based on results. Not spreading half truths and fear. Now if only the DFG would try that when making new regulations..,
Ddwineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
Baja_Traveler

The whole article is alarmist bull hockey. In fact, I cant find any truth in it at all when doing a search. And the reference to Bluefin tuna - results were barely above background levels, but still so low that one would have to eat nothing but tuna to get any dose. Reference from the scientist that made the measurement: "The amounts the fish carried were minuscule — far less, ounce for ounce, than the amount of naturally occurring radiation in a banana"...

Here's an example from the UC Berkeley Nuclear Energy Dept website:

Results Log
3/5/2013 2:25pm: We have tested a sample of salmon from the Pacific Northwest that we purchased locally. No radioactive isotopes were detected from the reactors at Fukushima to very low limits. These results have been posted on the salmon section of our Food Chain page.

9/27/2012 5:20pm: Three more dried seaweed samples were tested recently that came from the same source as our measurements in 2011. As with the previous samples, no radioactive isotopes were detected from the reactors at Fukushima. These results have been posted on the seaweed section of our Food Chain page.

We have also tested a sample of soy sauce purchased in a local grocery store. The soy sauce was labeled as a product of Japan. No radioactive isotopes were detected that can be traced to the reactors at Fukushima. Our limits for Cesium-134 and Cesium-137 were 0.029 and 0.032 Bq/L, respectively. For comparison, the activity concentration of Potassium-40 (K-40) in the sample was approximately 100 Bq/L. These results have been posted on our Food Chain Page.

Last edited by Baja_Traveler; 08-27-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #7
oneyedeer

I caught a couple of football size bluefin from my last overnight trip, and I got a personal radiation detector. When I get home from work I will run a quick sweep and report back. If it's there it should pick up.
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #8
driftwood

Just consider the source...These people survive by putting panic in people's mind. : CollapsingIntoConsciousness
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:24 AM   #9
TJones

wormwood

TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:58 AM   #10
StinkyMatt

Here is the funny/ scary part about this:

For every intelligent person who read this and quickly came to the conclusion that this is BS.....

There are probably 4 or 5 more impulsive, less savvy readers who will believe this and spread it to everyone they know.

P.S.

If anyone has some of that radioactive bluefin tuna, I heard that pan searing it on all sides makes it very safe to eat. Adding a little soy sauce makes it organic!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #11
beef78
Large Member

So, since the radiation along the pacific coast will double within five years, the average fish should contain about half of the contamination that your average banana has... This report doesn't have any real numbers or figures that relate anything that is happening so the average person can understand. Normal doomsday reporting that I expect to happen.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #12
ful-rac
Emperor

We could only be so lucky...dead and dying sea lions...where? I think Jim has got a pretty f-up finger must be the radiation...we're doomed!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #13
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
We could only be so lucky...dead and dying sea lions...where? I think Jim has got a pretty f-up finger must be the radiation...we're doomed!
Haha who could ask for more dead sea lions. And I dont know I frequent the coast as all of us do and I have yet to see an "epidemic" of dead sea lions...too bad though lobster season is coming up.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #14
Ggiannig89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
When I read that part about the sea lions I knew immediately this article was BS
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #15
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Glad I am wearing my waders, easier to get rid of the BS. Dead sea lions, wonder if they make good lobster bait?

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #16
walrus

You can decide for yourself what you want to believe. Soothsayers that claim the world will end have been around since Roman Times. They're right, it will end. But when?

Is this what will do it? Here is another point of view to add to the discussion.

Oceans magazine

What Does the Fukushima Leak Mean for America?

Aug 22, 2013 05:00 AM ET // by Larry O'Hanlon

New revelations about leaks of hundreds of gallons of radioactive water from the tsunami-damaged Fukushima nuclear facility in Japan have stoked fears across the Pacific Ocean. And while there are valid reasons to be concerned, the claim that thousands of people in the United States have already been fatally poisoned by Fukushima radiation in seawater is not one of them. Let's put that conspiracy theory to rest.

“If there were thousands here there would be millions in Japan, and we're not seeing that,” said Ken Buesseler, an oceanographer who specializes in studying natural and man-made radioactivity in the oceans. The current radioactivity levels leaking into the sea are a thousand times lower than they were in 2011, when three of the nuclear reactors melted down, he said.

That's not to say there is no hazard. Intensive monitoring of sea water and fish show a severe radioactive cesium problem near the leaks, and fish from that area are no longer being caught or sold. But dilution causes the radiation levels to drop quickly in the open ocean, Buesseler said. In fact the radiation from Fukushima cesium a few kilometers away is less than that of naturally occurring polonium (210-Po) in seawater.

“We don't want to add to it,” said Buesseler, “but not every atom kills.”
In fact studies on migratory blue fin tuna that cross the Pacific show the fish have detectable amounts of Fukushima radiation. But they don't pose any more danger than a person would get from a single dental x-ray, according to Nicolas Fisher, a researcher at SUNY-Stonybrook who has been studying the radiation in fish.
“We showed that doses in all cases (from blue fin tuna) were dominated by the naturally occurring alpha-emitter 210-Po and that Fukushima-derived doses were three to four orders of magnitude below 210 Po-derived doses,” wrote Fisher and colleagues in a June paper in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science.
“Doses to marine biota were about two orders of magnitude below the lowest benchmark protection level proposed for ecosystems.... Such doses are comparable to, or less than, the dose all humans routinely obtain from naturally occurring radionuclides in many food items, medical treatments, air travel, or other background sources,” the authors wrote.

On the other hand, the Fukushima radiation problem is far from over and it's changing, Buesseler said. He is watching, in particular, the radionuclide strontium-90, which has a much longer half-life than the radioactive cesium. Strontium has the additional worrisome habit of getting locked up in bones, which allows it to irradiate tissues around it for years, he said. Strontium was not initially a big worry at Fukushima, as cesium was present in much larger amounts. But that could be changing in the Fukushima groundwater, he said.

"If that gets into the food supply and in the fish, then it's a much bigger hazard," said Buesseler. "I do have a concern."

Still, he emphasized, it will be largely a local hazard, not an ocean-wide or even a Japan-wide concern. He and his colleagues will be continuing to monitor the situation independently, including getting more water samples from the ocean near Fukushima to see if the strontium reaches the ocean.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #17
beef78
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
You can decide for yourself what you want to believe. Soothsayers that claim the world will end have been around since Roman Times. They're right, it will end. But when?
Much better info. See how there's science in it. Nice.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #18
da22y

Should we all wear nuclear protection drysuit , and do catch and release ?
I think I am just gonna do just the same, we all gonna die any way.
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #19
easyday

Considering I was on one of the first ships there that responded to the tsunami. We were not far away and went on land and were picking up debris and helping clean up. They were worried it was going to blow up but never did. Im going to keep doing what I do. I smoke drink dip and spend way to much time in the sun so ill get cancer sooner later anyway.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #20
beef78
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
Considering I was on one of the first ships there that responded to the tsunami. We were not far away and went on land and were picking up debris and helping clean up. They were worried it was going to blow up but never did. Im going to keep doing what I do. I smoke drink dip and spend way to much time in the sun so ill get cancer sooner later anyway.
I agree. I am more worried about getting sick from worrying than worrying about getting sick. Did that make sense? I think I confused myself with too much worry in that sentence.