Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-30-2017, 01:05 PM   #1
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Any Ideas for Alternative Hobie Gear Bucket?

The speed with which Hobie soft plastic gear buckets (8" hatch) split and fall apart is bugging me. I know this is Hobie product design strategy to keep milking their customers into the future.

Does anyone know of a hard plastic alternative, or some paint bucket or something else that can be adapted?

I've gone through 3 of these and it's just not right to keep paying Hobie $30+ each time they split down the sides or crack off at the lip. That's $120 so far for 4 junky plastic buckets that I should not have to buy more than once.

I'm tempted to make a mold and cast these things out of fiberglass to hand out to anyone who agrees with me.

Any ideas?

(thinking out loud)

- check paint dept at Home Depot
- check commercial restaurant food storage containers at Costco Wholesale + Smart & Final
- investigate molding materials to make my own from fiberglass

- are the 8" hatches used on Hobie a propriatary size, or generic?
- check West Marine to see if they have any alternatives

- NOTES: 8.25" top diameter @ hatch

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 10-30-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
Mahigeer

The trick is the opening for the latch unit.
Maybe a three D printer!

I too think Hobie likes to milk the customer.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:38 PM   #3
King Saba

I just go to daiso and buy those rectangular snap lock boxes for all my gear. I can fit more under the hatch and it keeps things fairly rust free and organized
Old 10-30-2017, 03:50 PM   #4
Hamachijohn

That's surprising, given that mine has lasted me 7 years and counting. Ive used 8 inch paint buckets, but those are less durable than the Hobie ones. Curious to see alternatives are out there. Agree that Hobie parts are expensive, and they sell certain accessories that should come standard. But that is business,... Supply and demand.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Hamachijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:03 PM   #5
kirkdavis

you can get these soft buckets in various sizes and trim the top off to match the depth of the yak. Not waterproof but holds things within reach, and you can drop whatever waterproof containers into it. I think Wally World or I got that one at grocery outlet. Cheap and durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:07 PM   #6
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

A 5 pound protein powder container is 8" diameter. The .25" difference is enough room to pop-rivet "L" tabs on the outside top edge to hang the bucket from the hatch ring, plus it's about 2" deeper than the Hobie bucket

Still looking for better options ... something with the top lip already built in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
The trick is the opening for the latch unit
To clear the twist latch looks like about 3" along the circumference, 1" down. A curve might work, rather than a rectangle notch, shaped by the end of my belt sander, or maybe a drum sander.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 10-30-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #7
Mahigeer

How about the red bag?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Hatch-Bag...YAAOSwqu9VMOnd
Old 11-01-2017, 08:37 PM   #8
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

OK, I figured it out:

5 quart mixing bucket, Home Depot paint department.

$2.77 including tax

2" deeper than the Hobie bucket, without the useless obstruction they mold into theirs under the latch.

Drops in for a perfect snug fit.

I took my bait tank into the store with me to try various size buckets. The curve I cut off with my belt sander clears the latch mechanism. I sliced off the handle holders and 4 small casting bumps under the top lip with a razor knife.

This gives me more unencumbered storage space for $2.77 than the official Hobie bucket for $30.

I am replete and my universe is back in balance. It's time to pour a glass of wine

AFTERTHOUGHT: I use a battery holder for my fish finder that hangs from the lip of my Outback back hatch. I think this bucket might fit together WITH my battery holder, thereby providing more accessible storage space for emergency tools and repair supplies that I don't normally need, but want to keep onboard for when I do: screwdriver, rescue tape, first aid items, paracord, etc. These can all be stored under my battery in Ziploc bags to keep them fresh and protected. The back hatch keeps things I don't normally need out of my way.

AFTER-AFTERTHOUGHT: I have to check the depth. Maybe that's why Hobie makes their deep gear bucket short - so it fits all the hatches. I've already started relaxing with my glass of wine, so that idea will have to wait for tomorrow. I've clocked out for today.

This might be where Mahigeer's red bag link might work better --- more random storage volume in a water tight bag that conforms to available hull space.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 11-01-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:17 AM   #9
Neillio
Junior

I use a home depot bucket

haha.
Neillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:34 AM   #10
Mahigeer

Nice work.

I was going to suggest also to convert the round hatch to a rectangular one, but not sure where in kayak is your round one.

I did it before the Baja trip and it was very useful. Not only more room with the tray, but much easier access to the hull inside with bigger opening.

Now I can fit my water/food sack easier in the hull. Also if I need to reach from underneath to install anything on top.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:51 PM   #11
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
I was going to suggest also to convert the round hatch to a rectangular one, but not sure where in kayak is your round one.
Yes, that's what I would prefer to do eventually, but I don't want the cash burn right now.

The objective is more space for my fishing supplies.

The space I'm working with is the hatch just in front of the seat of a Hobie Outback.

More space from the rectangular hatch and hatch bucket would be better.

In the meantime, for $2.77 I can toss my Hobie gear bucket that's disintegrating.

Upgrading to a Hobie rectangular hatch with rectangular bucket is about $140, including tax.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 11-02-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:57 PM   #12
Mahigeer

Do it when you can.

It should be an extra point should you decide to sell the kayak. And no I am not affiliated with Hobie.

I moved my round bucket to the back hatch.

I was going to install the removed round cap behind the seat (where the 5 gal bucket indentation is), but was told by Andy it is not a good idea.

There are drain channels to scuppers that may not seal. Furthermore, not much space in that area.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:55 PM   #13
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Ace Hardware 5-Quart Multi-Purpose bucket is slightly better than HDX from Home Depot

- $1.99

- Available without the lid. If you want a lid, they are $1.29 extra

- No handle or handle brackets to cut off

- No casting nubs to cut off

- Slightly better fit around the 8" hatch lip - very slightly less snug, making it easier to remove

- Requires NO alteration at all, except for the one curve cut to clear the latch mechanism as shown above.

- Plastic thickness, stiffness and quality feels the same as the HDX bucket from Home Depot

Both will work fine.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 11-06-2017 at 04:58 PM.