Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
Fiskadoro

...and now for something completely differen't (new Kayak)

So since I've moved out of the math stage to the make a lot of noise stage I thought I'd share this....

Does this look like a Kayak to you?

Now it's starting to look like something... sort of...

That actually looks kinda like a kayak.

A few for scale...

So this is going to be my motorized (gas) off shore fishing kayak (Sit on top) that I'll be able to launch in the surf, paddle or run on power and fish offshore for local tuna, paddy yellows, mahi etc....

Stats length 21 feet beam 29 inches.

The idea is to combine my older passion for offshore fishing, with my new interest in Kayaking. My design and manufacture process, one of a kind, nothing ever built like it, don't try this at home...etc...

Bonus video: Cutting out the hull panels with freehand with a 7-1/4 circular saw...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqPhltdA61s

There you have it, Jim

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=451418044
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
Zed
BANNED

I'm sure you realize once you motorize it, you'll have to register it (CF#'s) and once you get CF#'s that makes it a boat, and that will greatly diminish the number of beaches from which you can surf launch.

Let's see, I can think of one.

Sleek design, anyway. Have fun.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
I'm sure you realize once you motorize it, you'll have to register it (CF#'s) and once you get CF#'s that makes it a boat, and that will greatly diminish the number of beaches from which you can surf launch.

Let's see, I can think of one.

Sleek design, anyway. Have fun.
You can't win them all... LOL

So which beach are you thinking about?

This is not meant to be a general use kayak.

I'm going to be powering it with a 2hp Honda 4 stroke. Sailboats that have used those motors as auxiliary power have reported mileage up to 40 miles to the gallon.

I'm planing on building a five gallon internal tank in it, since my hull is a lot lighter then a sailboat (by thousands of pounds) with far less drag and I should have much more range and speed then I can utilize.

With range and speed you don't have to launch right on a location to fish it. I'll primarily be launching it out of harbors, or perhaps at off the beach if I take it to Mexico.

The kayak is a hybrid of kayak, sailboat, and displacement powerboat design. It's going to blur the lines between what is a power boat and a kayak.

I'm designing it so it can launch and land in the surf, but it's not only what it's made for. I have plenty of kayaks I can fish out of the surf this one is designed for range, and sea keeping abilities so I can take it further offshore then a more standard kayak.

Jim
Old 06-25-2009, 11:14 PM   #4
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Great thought, great craftmanship. Looks beautiful...

Now to the nitty gritty...you plan on installing a bilge pump, preferrably an auto (float) bilge? Would need an extra battery for that, esp in case of leakage.

If you don't, and do develop a leak, you are officially FUBAR.

The nittier of the gritty...2 words...

Hull displacement...

Make sure you put some whale tails (cavitation plates) on the outboard to help you plane better...just my 2 centavos...also check your rocker...and don't go out on 'swell' days...and make sure you have smooth, continuous beads on the welding points...

And as Zed pointed out, you are officially a motor boat under power.
Have all the necessary equipment, make sure you rinse thoroughly after every use, and only go out on days where LJ to the 9 mile bank is glassy...and make sure you use plenty of sunscreen under your chin, that aluminum (or SS) will cause a nasty glare...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:07 AM   #5
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman View Post
Great thought, great craftmanship. Looks beautiful...Now to the nitty gritty...you plan on installing a bilge pump, preferrably an auto (float) bilge? Would need an extra battery for that, esp in case of leakage.If you don't, and do develop a leak, you are officially FUBAR.The nittier of the gritty...2 words...Hull displacement...Make sure you put some whale tails (cavitation plates) on the outboard to help you plane better...just my 2 centavos...also check your rocker...and don't go out on 'swell' days...and make sure you have smooth, continuous beads on the welding points...
And as Zed pointed out, you are officially a motor boat under power.Have all the necessary equipment, make sure you rinse thoroughly after every use, and only go out on days where LJ to the 9 mile bank is glassy...and make sure you use plenty of sunscreen under your chin, that aluminum (or SS) will cause a nasty glare...
I actually have about ten times the experience Offshore that I do kayaking, and have designed and built other small power boats for offshore. I actually have kind of have a reputation as a small Aluminum boat Guru. Do to several of the projects I have done in the past. I get calls to work on boats all the time but I usually do not have the time to do it.

Here's a few recent projects a repair and a T top mini tower and bait tank leaning post set up.

Probably many of seen these Photo's before.

Here's one of my favorites: a modified Western 14ft skiff from a few years back that Iredesigned for offshore use.

That's all the same boat. People thought I was crazy when I started it but it turned out OK.

It was initially just built as a prototype, but it's worked so well I kept it. I've maybe got a thousand hours on the boat since I rebuilt it and have taken that skiff all over out to about forty miles with no problems.

I've targeted a lot of Tuna and T's with it..

...and have had it in some pretty rough conditions.

I'm essentially designing the new power Kayak to target the same fish without the TSharks....

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 06-26-2009 at 04:23 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:54 AM   #6
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

That thing looks cool but I bet it is not very buoyant. It might not be much fun to be on after taking a couple waves in the chest during the launch. Have you designed in some floatation?

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:55 AM   #7
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
That thing looks cool but I bet it is not very buoyant. It might not be much fun to be on after taking a couple waves in the chest during the launch. Have you designed in some flotation?
Bob

I should of seen this coming.

You have to understand what your looking at.

Right now your just looking is the hull, just the sides and bottom. The top decks and the cockpit have not been installed. This is not going to be a canoe or an open boat.

Like any sit in top the hull will be sealed with decks for an aft with a self bailing cockpit in the center and access into the hull it will be thorough water tight hatches. I figure when it's done the weight will be around a hundred pounds but the displacement capacity or flotation will be almost eight hundred pounds.

The closest hulls to it design wise are triple kayaks

It has to be oversized so that it can handle the power without driving under in seas.

A good size triple with a hull the size of mine could support three paddlers all over 200 pounds plus their gear.

On the safety side the hull will have three sealed water tight compartments separated by bulkheads and several cubic feet of foam at each end.

Jim
Old 06-26-2009, 06:59 AM   #8
Zed
BANNED

One = La Jolla Shores
I can't think of any other beaches where you can launch a boat (Baja excluded).
Quote:
...and make sure you use plenty of sunscreen under your chin, that aluminum (or SS) will cause a nasty glare...
Heheh. Funny.

I'm not worried about your craftsmanship or materials, there's plenty of iron hulls with poured concrete out there. Go get 'em.

Maybe you should get your hands on a longtail motor.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:29 AM   #9
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Nice work! I need something like that T-top on my skiff!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:55 AM   #10
KennyHill

That thing is crazy! I cant wait to see it when its finished and some on the water shots. Keep us updated on it... Goodluck
KennyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:06 AM   #11
WCW Moderator
Super Moderator

Jim, That is looking good! I picked up the foot pegs and rails yesterday if you still want em, give me a call.

and I think it needs one of these shiny doo-dads

Andy

WCW Moderator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:13 AM   #12
Useful Idiot

Looks cool Jim, I remember when you built that skiff a few years back. One of the coolest projects ever IMO. What's the weight estimation on the aluma-yak?
Old 06-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #13
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Very nice skiffs!!!

Where does he get such wonderful toys?

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #14
punchjamesarnol

Hey Jim, Looks to me like you do fine quality work. Keep us updated with the project! I'd like to see it in progress. Double thumbs up!
punchjamesarnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #15
steamroll

You'll shoot your eye out
Old 06-27-2009, 09:09 PM   #16
Mr Mugu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
One = La Jolla Shores
I can't think of any other beaches where you can launch a boat (Baja excluded).

Escondido/BKR in Malibu still gets a bit of use as a boat launch.

We've also got Carpinteria Reef/Ash Street launch up here which is exactly the same as La Jolla...drive on the sand and launch motor boats and kayaks.

Even the waves are like La Jolla(The City used to call it the safest beach in CA.)

Mr Mugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #17
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamroll View Post
You'll shoot your eye out
Too Funny....
Old 06-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #18
zenspearo

Jim,

You will be disappointed with the honda 2hp. I have one and it's a pain to transport/deal with. It leaks almost every time I need to lay it down. And it's air-cooled--much louder than you would expect for a 4-stroker.

My recommendation is go with a Nissan/Tohatsu 3.5hp 2-stroke. About 22lbs, and very reliable. I have one too--and I much prefer it over the Honda. It's much easier to store (no oil to spill) and much more reliable (surprisingly).

They do sip gas, both of them.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #19
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCW Moderator View Post
Jim, That is looking good! I picked up the foot pegs and rails yesterday if you still want em, give me a call.

and I think it needs one of these shiny doo-dads

Andy

I've always liked bars.... Thanks for that info. I'm still working out the cockpit geometry and need to figure out the rudder before I jump on the footpegs but likely that is the route I will go. I'll know by tomorrow.

Andy wait until you see the scupper system I've worked out, I think your going to love it.

Jim
Old 06-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #20
THE DARKHORSE

Looks sick, Jim!

What's your E.T.A. on the finished product? Maybe we could buddy boat for some local tuna...my legs never run out of gas .