Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #21
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby View Post
I own a Hobie now for kayak fishing, but I used to just kayak/paddle on a sit-in. My advice may not be too helpful since sit-on-top kayaks sit a bit higher then sit-in kayaks.

I was taught not to use my wrist at all when paddling. There were two concepts I remembered that may be useful.

First - when you paddle you are actually using your torso to move the paddle through the water. Your arms will fatigue sooner than your body will. Go grab a paddle and a big inflatable ball and sit on the ground. I'll wait.... Now go ahead and hold the paddle in your hands like you are going to paddle out to Lake La Jolla. Wedge the ball between your chest, arms and paddle; or imagine there is one there. Now pretend to paddle. You notice you have to dip your paddle into the water by moving your torso and twisting your body. Many paddlers do not twist their torso, but just move there arms. There should be very minimal arm movement when paddling.

Second - Most paddlers use only a push movement when they paddle when they can use a pulling action at the same time, thus sharing the burden of moving the paddle through the water. This concept is really hard to describe yet very easy to show. Go grab your paddle again. If you are putting your left blade into the water you would pull with your left hand as well...but wait. You can also push the paddle with your right hand at the SAME time. If you do this you can move the paddle through the water using a push and pull movement and NOT just the push movement. If I was to freeze frame your hand posture in this example above your left hand could be in a cradle (not fist) and your right hand could be an open palm. Now you wouldn't paddle this way, but you can do this to visualize the idea I'm trying to show. This concept is really useful when you are cruising and not necessarily looking for a burst of speed. For example, don't do this while your are launching through the surf.

Your legs and knees come into play as well, but I think it is more pronounced with sit-in kayaks. The basic idea is to paddle with your body not just your arms/wrists.
Everything you just mentioned I watched in a couple of Youtube videos earlier this evening so it makes perfect sense. I saw the push/pull technique and also the thing with the ball I will practice that and more than anything worry about just cruising on long paddles rather than worry about speed. I think I was trying to be that 225 horse power outboard and not just relax and paddle. Keep the pointers coming, I'm totally open minded.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:21 AM   #22
jorluivil

That happened to me when I first started yakking, I had aches all over my body.....sore arms, sore *ss(from extended sitting), sore shoulders....etc. When I started hooping from my yak my lower back and forearms were sore the first few trips, it all went away after a few trips and it's very uncommon for me to get sore now.

I'd have to agree with Roby on the push/pull method, its amazing how much more propulsion and less fatigued you get from this technique. My buddy and I have the same yak, when we go out he can be 50yards ahead of me and I will pass him within 10-15 minutes. I out weigh him by at least 30-40lbs but can easily win him in a paddling contest.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:18 AM   #23
Jimmyz123

It makes so much sense to me now. I hear you on the pain in the butt part. I need to add a little cushion to the seat. I am noticing however less fatigue in the arms, back, and shoulders. The wrist thing had to be a result to me trying to paddle too fast, and not paddling correctly. I still want to get a better paddle, but now I think I need to work more on technique.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:23 PM   #24
peguinpower
bing!

Been there, had that.

If you find yourself ramping up the miles suddenly, body aches ensue.

I was training a couple years ago building up my miles. From 6, 10, 12 then 18-22 miles per session. When i broke 18, things started to breakdown. Tendonitis, rotator cuff injury and wrist problems.

Solution, ramp up the miles slowly, practice proper paddling technique (use your back, legs and torso, not your arms), find the proper paddle length, use an adjustable feather paddle (60 to 65 degrees is generally good) and adjust it so that you dont have to twist your wrist so much. The paddle should be feathered such that when your twist you torso and put the forward paddle down in the water, the paddle face should be ready for the power stroke without having to twist your wrist. This is only achievable with proper paddling techniques as below....

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...&v=DnUVLDGIgiw

For a lot of us kayak fishermen, paddling is an after thought. Sadly, for me at least, age in an unforgiving mistress. Better technique and training will minimize injuries.

Last edited by peguinpower; 01-14-2011 at 03:44 PM.
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #25
old_rookie

I get cramping in my hands if a I really turn it up and paddle hard for a while - then I need to stop and restart at a slower pace.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #26
Jimmyz123

I've done a lot of thinking about my Kayak layout and my paddling technique I have realized I need to move two of my rod holders, and I need to take my time and not try to rush too much when paddling. I am going to practice all of this as well as invest in a better paddle. Now I just can't wait to try out all that you guys are all suggesting.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #27
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
It makes so much sense to me now. I hear you on the pain in the butt part. I need to add a little cushion to the seat. I am noticing however less fatigue in the arms, back, and shoulders. The wrist thing had to be a result to me trying to paddle too fast, and not paddling correctly. I still want to get a better paddle, but now I think I need to work more on technique.

My wife replaced a few small bed pillows, I didn't realize she was dumping them until trash day came around....pulled one out, washed it and now I use it on the yak. I'm 5'10" and a slim 230lbs on a double cheeseburger with a diet coke day so the little to no padding that my C O D seat has just killed my tailbone. I couldn't go more than 2hours before I began to feel uncomfortable, now I can go a few hours on the yak with absolutely no pain to the behind. It's simply amazing how much this little cushion has helped my buttox, no more pain.

Last edited by jorluivil; 01-15-2011 at 12:15 AM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:21 AM   #28
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
My wife replaced a few small bed pillows, I didn't realize she was dumping them until trash day came around....pulled one out, washed it and now I use it on the yak. I'm 5'10" and a slim 230lbs on a double cheeseburger with a diet coke day so the little to no padding that my C O D seat has just killed my tailbone. I couldn't go more than 2hours before I began to feel uncomfortable, now I can go a few hours on the yak with absolutely no pain to the behind. It's simply amazing how much this little cushion has helped my buttox, no more pain.
I think collectively we are all looking for ways to help make the time on the water comfy, and with no pain at the end. We may not be able to catch fish all the time but at least we can be comfy and secure.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #29
dorado50

It is very important to be comfortable when fishing off a kayak. I can't believe I kayak fish with just the bare essentials needed. Probably all my aches and pains could have been avoided if I had taken another approach to this game. What about a hot water bottle? A good item to take along for an unexpected ache while kayak fishing?. Whoever drilled into me that old saying "no pain no gain" was totally wrong....by the way, I'm hooking up my portable foot warmer now.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #30
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
It is very important to be comfortable when fishing off a kayak. I can't believe I kayak fish with just the bare essentials needed. Probably all my aches and pains could have been avoided if I had taken another approach to this game. What about a hot water bottle? A good item to take along for an unexpected ache while kayak fishing?. Whoever drilled into me that old saying "no pain no gain" was totally wrong....by the way, I'm hooking up my portable foot warmer now.
The Person who said no pain no gain is probably dead now from the pains he suffered. =)

So this weekend what have I been doing, I have doing all that I can to make sure that when I go out next time my feet are comfortable and that my knees won't be in the way of my paddling, as they have been. Also the Kayak wheels I had busted the last time out so I also fixed that with larger diameter pipe, it's a lot stronger now.

I have my wrist wrapped to help the tendons chill out, and I'm taking the Motrin for the swelling. Oh and of course I've been working on my battery box for bait tank. I'm really loving playing with all of this stuff.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #31
peguinpower
bing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
The Person who said no pain no gain is probably dead now from the pains he suffered. =)

So this weekend what have I been doing, I have doing all that I can to make sure that when I go out next time my feet are comfortable and that my knees won't be in the way of my paddling, as they have been. Also the Kayak wheels I had busted the last time out so I also fixed that with larger diameter pipe, it's a lot stronger now.

I have my wrist wrapped to help the tendons chill out, and I'm taking the Motrin for the swelling. Oh and of course I've been working on my battery box for bait tank. I'm really loving playing with all of this stuff.
Hehehehehe. Middle aged and above, if it hurts, STOP!

Heal up and take it a step at a time.
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:24 PM   #32
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by peguinpower View Post
Hehehehehe. Middle aged and above, if it hurts, STOP!

Heal up and take it a step at a time.
I'm healed, and this will not keep me from getting back out. If I have to I'll wear a brace or something.

Thanks again everyone for all the pointers I can't wait to try them out.