Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
T Bone

Scupper type cart question

I need a new cart and was thinking of building the scupper type.I heard from somewhere that they can damage the scuppers.Has anyone had this experience?If you have one do you like it?

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
tony

The seam in the middle of the scupper hole tubes is the weakest part of the kayak mold. Constant jarring and banging within those scupper tubes could break the seam and start a leak.If you dont frequently go a lot of distance with the cart it probably doesnt matter, but if you develop a leak later its probably the scupper tubes. If you want to be super safe, pad the poles that go thru the scuppers as well as the area of the cart where the kayak sits, and perhaps goop the scupper tubes from inside your kayak. Scupper tube leaks can also develop from cranking down too hard on your vehicle tie down straps.The scupper carts are fast and easy, so it might save you that valuable minute or so when a cold beer is screaming your name at the landing. Unless you like building your own stuff it might be easier and about the same price to find a used one (scupper or sit on/with strap). I built one from PVC and it kind of sucked, but others on this site that are more mechanically inclined have had success.

Last edited by tony; 01-26-2010 at 05:48 PM.
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
miguelitro
Team Bad Habits

two things-

I make my own carts by bending tube to fit an axle, custom for each kayak. really easy to make with the right tools, just a little heavy, but hey less likely to get stolen.
I have no pics right now, i should get some!
If you are still in need i will probably have some time soon if you are still looking. I usually charge beer and materials but it will last forever

secondly-
Your sig is awesome! The mayor of Law St. starts our xmas brunch prayer with that every year(for the last 25 years minus a couple) and it made me smile with a flood of the great memories!

Mike
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

I've built scupper dollies and cradle dollies. Scupper dollies are fine; but cradle dollies are better; you can use them with any kayak.
Make your own decision: you can make either one yourself.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
dgax65
Guerro Grande

I have no personal experience with the scupper-type carts, but i have seen more than a few reports on various forums of damaged/leaking scuppers as a result of using this type of cart. The scuppers are the weakest part of your kayak, so why would you want to subject them to repeated wear and shock? A standard cart would probably be better.

BTW; there are at least two AKFF members who have launched with the scupper carts still installed. They couldn't figure out where all the drag was coming from until they got back to the ramp.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
Quilted Germ

So much easier to just go buy a dolly type. I've experienced the damaged scupper due to the scupper type and had to have it professionally fixed....just not even worth the arguement....IMO, that is....
Old 01-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
T Bone

I actually have a dolly type that I made,It just slips out from under the yak sometimes when I am dragging it aalong the sand at the CG station on NPH or it comes out from under when I hit that screwy driveway aat baby beach in Dana.I could probably just figure out a better way to strap it and be better off.Definitely seems like the no votes rule.I just thought the hobie carts were were scupper type and would be OK.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
fishinkid2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
I just thought the hobie carts were were scupper type and would be OK.

You are correct, the Hobie carts are the scupper style. But if I'm not mistaken, Hobie reinforces their scuppers in order to accommodate the stress put on them.
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
Billy V

I have not had any problem with a scupper cart, even transporting a loaded kayak - bait tank, with 4 rods, dry bags in the hull, etc.

I also have a Hobie cart for sale with all terrain wheels, its strong.
$50
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
Useful Idiot

We've repaired countless scupper holes at OEX that have been damaged by those type of carts. When they were more popular we probably had one or two repairs a week caused by scupper carts. We haven't carried or recommended scupper carts for years. Go with the cradle style.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #11
fishes

I too was wondering about the scupper carts but then I saw this. The guy who posted said the damage was due to the scupper type carts and pulling too hard on them. I don't have wheels as of yet but I will be going with the alternative.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:22 PM   #12
Adam12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishes View Post
I too was wondering about the scupper carts but then I saw this. The guy who posted said the damage was due to the scupper type carts and pulling too hard on them. I don't have wheels as of yet but I will be going with the alternative.

That to me looks like the cart posts werent all the way through the scuppers when the cart was being used, since the damage is at the bottom of the scuppers.
Adam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #13
Gino

Quote:
BTW; there are at least two AKFF members who have launched with the scupper carts still installed. They couldn't figure out where all the drag was coming from until they got back to the ramp.

:notw orthy:
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #14
Billy V

Maybe the Hobies are stronger boats. I never had a problem on my last 3 kayaks.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:26 PM   #15
miguelitro
Team Bad Habits

i looked at cart when i bought my sled but i could not find any that held it high enough for me to drag it with out bending low. Mine is about a foot.5 off the ground and i can stand up while dragging it to the beach which i think makes a big difference...
ps scuppers are for peeing in
Mike
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #16
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Since I usually have to haul my kayak over rocks, logs and up and down steep hills; it's a little higher off the ground than a "standard' cart.
Cradle dollies have the advantage of being able to use them with different kayaks; one size fits all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CradleDolly.jpg (68.6 KB, 137 views)
Old 01-29-2010, 10:57 PM   #17
Duke
Junior

Did you make that yourself?
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:57 PM   #18
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Yep: it's "custom built". You can make one too.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:21 PM   #19
Siebler

Hobie carts work without damage because they are designed to be used together. The posts on the cart allow for very very little movement in the scuppers which cuts down a lot on the wear and tear of the scuppers.

Other than Hobie Kayaks being used with Hobie Carts I 100% recommend the cradle style carts. Like Brian said we repair a ton of scuppers that crack from bad carts.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:28 AM   #20
senojmj
Paddle, Fish, Repeat

message received!

This is why I come to this site often, you learn something new all the time. I started with a homemade cradle cart, but found to be hard to load the boat. The cart would always slip out when I would be securing it to the cart. I then went to a scupper cart. After this "intervention" I am going to back to the cradle cart. Is there a trick to getting the cart not to slip out while loading it?

Paddle, Fish, Repeat.
senojmj is offline   Reply With Quote