Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
T Bone

Calcutta re-wrap pt 2

Been super busy and havent finished yet.Its a challenging rod to wrap because it is not perfectly concentric and had a lot of natural dips and odd spots.I tried to show one of the dips but the Pic is a little blurry.Its the one rod where I dont mind having a hand wrapper instead of the American tackle power wrapper I have been wanting.You would never be able to get on a good roll with the motor before creating a gap or crossing over the thread.I have the rod a little better than half wrapped but I have been working on a military base in Nor-Cal and staying in nevada.If the rod was shorter I would wrap it at the hotel.I am in Podunk Nowhere on the 395 between Bridgeport and the border of Nevada.Weather has been in the teens in the morning with winds to 60MPH gusts.I through in a pic of one of the high passes which there is at least a 120" base(probably much more) still so anyone wanting to go to Mammoth you should be able to make it till June.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (56.8 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (52.2 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (70.2 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (50.6 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (52.0 KB, 110 views)

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
tagyak

hey that is real nice job that you have done so far. look forward to seeing the finished product.
i notice in the picture that the two different guides; the silver ones looks like it sits a bit lower than the black one. is that an optical illusion or is it that way? if so, will it effect the line?

be safe out there in the snow. it can get a bit hairy when you are driving especially with the wind gust.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post
...i notice in the picture that the two different guides; the silver ones looks like it sits a bit lower than the black one. is that an optical illusion or is it that way? if so, will it effect the line?...

Nice job, looks sweet!

That taller guide is likely the first guide (from the butt end), as he clearly switched to lower based guides that all match in height) after that one (something typically done).
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Croaker Dave

That looks nice. What's a good way to learn how to do that? I have a 7', 15-40lb Californian rod that I got for yak fishing a few years ago because it was cheap, but now the guides are corroded. You get what you pay for. If it doesn't cost too much to get started, I'd like to try and put new guides on it to learn on, and to have a guest rod. What are some decent guides that aren't too pricey but won't corrode? I don't want to spend more than a new rod costs to get started.
Croaker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
T Bone

Its called a stripper guide.It helps transition the line off the reel to the rest of the guides.

Anyone interested in rod wrapping should check out Mudhole.com.Everything you need to know and everything you would ever need to buy.

Also they have a gallery of rods and wraps and weaves and inlays that will blow your mind.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
bubblehide

Dave, if your serious about learning, and want to start off very basic, send me a P.M., and I'll give you some details on what you'll need, and where you can get it all locally at Mudhole or better prices. But I would highly recommend you purchasing about 5 of the cheapest blanks (between 5 and 10 dollars a piece) and cheap guides to get started with, as wrapping properly will take some practice. Once you get wrapping the guides down, then move on to wrapping blanks you actually want. If your patient and willing to take your time, some dame good blanks come along for those prices from time to time.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote