Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Asuncion 2014

26 November Sven, Buddha any myself hit the border at 6 am, 1 st stop FFM's, wow 5 whole minutes to process 3 of us. Paid right there, super fast and EASY. Off to BAJA. Met up with Zed and Ross at the COWBOY hotel in Guerro Negro after 3 pm. Day 2, we had a 2 hr and 20 minute drive to Asuncion. Stopped by Shari's place at La Bufadoro and got set for the San Roque house. Un loaded and guys hit the water. This drive can be done in 12 hours if everything goes well [no slow traffic}.

There were bigger fish here last December. YT 7-25 lbs, Dorado to over 10 lbs, Calicos and sand bass were available to over 20". Halibut were on the beach,but 30 " and under. Yellowfin croaker and short fin corvina were in the surf. Sven got a PB 11+ pound Sheepshead.

Have you ever cast a spoon in the surf at night under a FULL MOON?? Maybe Jeff or Sven can chime in about their night walk on the beach. Me I caught a cold and was out of it for a few days, BUTT.............................................

So I am fishing outside the surf beach break in 8-10 feet of water casting into the surf line. I hooked to a 30" butt just outside the beach break. He got me into 8 foot deep water and a nice breaker snuck up behind me. WOW over the falls I went! I held on to the rod BUTT it did not survive. It busted about 1 1/2 inches below the ferrule. So I think I need a new butt section. The tip seems fine, it was my FAVORITE jig rod. It was a 2 piece rod, I now have a three piecer and it was my "go to" rod for Baja. So after crashing on the beach I called it a day. Spent 3 hours cleaning sand out of my Threasher and a couple Calcutta 400's. Beautiful day on the water and lesson learned, if you fish the surf line you might just get caught.

Trip back to San Diego was un eventful. Yes this trip will be on the schedule AGAIN for next year. Hope to see you there. Happy Holidays.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote