Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
Deamon

Bugging Tips

I'd like to offer a few bugging tips if I may...simple stuff but it could help a few. Please offer some back if you have any...

Dealing with the crowds...Not everyone has the extra time but I'll set up just a bit before the others. When I'm not cutting in on top of everyone and dropping in between other people's traps, I'm usually good to go. I'll hang near my traps while others are setting up. This is a good time to check in with the buggers on both sides of your set. Most are trying to be cool with their neighbors. I can't help you with the Ass Holes. My compadres know that I will go bonkers when people are dicks and even then, it usually doesn't help with that kind.

As much as I used to think bait was all about using salmon heads for best results...it's not. It can be pricey (cost is relative) AND I came to the conclusion the dogs stick around a bit longer and work harder if salmon is around...

Keep two bug measuring gauges. "The Man" is unforgiving if you don't have a gauge when checked (even if you lost it).

If Mr. Dog is around, I'll run my traps in the dark (lights off) and move away from my set (close enough to police them if needed). I'll even hangout near someone else's traps (which aren't being monitored) to lure the seal(s) away from mine...

Adding some D.O.T. reflector tape to your floats can really help locate your traps when you swing your light around...

If a dog is around, I'll hold up on dropping my trap(s) until he's gone. I've had them follow me for up to 15 minutes but I know they'll eventually leave. Once they taste your bait, it could hang around searching for your other traps.

I have a cheapy Everyready light for something a bit more than just my headlamp. Like $5.00 at Home Depot or elsewhere. It's water resistant and helps alert an oncoming boat, ship or freighter...

I'm a Promar light guy. I'll add a few layers of Teflon to completely seal them from water. The grease they use will eventually dry up and water will penetrate. I've got some lights going on my third season if I change out the batteries.

Hope this helps. Be safe. Good luck to everyone. Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Page 1.jpg (71.1 KB, 286 views)
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Last edited by Deamon; 09-26-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Dealing with the crowds...Not everyone has the extra time but I'll set up just a bit before the others.

I like to do the same, I usually try to get to a spot at the very least 1-2 hours before sunset.

When I'm not cutting in on top of everyone and dropping in between other people's traps, I'm usually good to go. I'll hang near my traps while others are setting up. This is a good time to check in with the buggers on both sides of your set. Most are trying to be cool with their neighbors. I can't help you with the Ass Holes. My compadres know that I will go bonkers when people are dicks and even then, it usually doesn't help with that kind.

I like to do the same, I'll stay close to my traps especially when there's divers around and speaking from experience I agree with your last two sentences

As much as I used to think bait was all about using salmon heads for best results...it's not. It can be pricey (cost is relative) AND I came to the conclusion the dogs stick around a bit longer and work harder if salmon is around...

Salmon is my go to bait and in my six+ years of bugging I can count the number of times that I've been raped by those pescy dogs on one hand. One thing that I can definitely recommend is to bring a burlap sack or any other sack and a sabiki, sometimes the macs are so thick you can make enough bait for quite a few trips.

Keep two bug measuring gauges. "The Man" is unforgiving if you don't have a gauge when checked (even if you lost it).

this is one of the best suggestions ever!!! I carry one in my PFD(in case of emergency) and another one leashed to my kayak.

If Mr. Dog is around, I'll run my traps in the dark (lights off) and move away from my set (close enough to police them if needed). I'll even hangout near someone else's traps (which aren't being monitored) to lure the seal(s) away from mine...

I told a few of the guys about this last season and no one seemed to believe me. If you ever get a chance pay attention to the dogs when they come up for air, they will get as close to a lighted bouy as possible and drop straight down, the light is telling them HERE I AM

Adding some D.O.T. reflector tape to your floats can really help locate your traps when you swing your light around...

Also add tape to your kayak

If a dog is around, I'll hold up on dropping my trap(s) until he's gone. I've had them follow me for up to 15 minutes but I know they'll eventually leave. Once they taste your bait, it could hang around searching for your other traps.

I have a cheapy Everyready light for something a bit more than just my headlamp. Like $5.00 at Home Depot or elsewhere. It's water resistant and helps alert an oncoming boat, ship or freighter...

I got tired or replacing flash lights and those cheap home depot headlamps so I invested in a quality waterproof headlamp, I got it on sale and used a coupon, total price out the door was under $25.

http://www.rei.com/product/814301/bl...storm-headlamp

I'm a Promar light guy. I'll add a few layers of Teflon to completely seal them from water. The grease they use will eventually dry up and water will penetrate. I've got some lights going on my third season if I change out the batteries.

thanks for the idea, i will be doing this to my promar lights before my first trip. I also heard that vaseline works really well as a sealant, if you need any Matt has jars of it

Hope this helps. Be safe. Good luck to everyone. Jim
Make sure you fill out your report card before you land, I've seem a few boaters get tickets for not having them filled out before they docked. I do not remember the exact rule on this but I believe you're supposed to fill out once you're done hooping or if you move more than 500yards from the location or something like that.

And another thing, if you get cited for whatever reason please don't start a rant n rave post about how the DFW Wardens, do it right the first time and your experience with them will be more than pleasant.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
619-SWIM-DOG

Thanks for the tips... As far as bait do people use cat food cans at all??
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619-SWIM-DOG View Post
Thanks for the tips... As far as bait do people use cat food cans at all??
I feel like I've used it all and seen it all...I did the cat food thing, all flavors . Chicken legs... etc...I'm a mack/dine guy. I went quite a bit last year with zero cost on bait for me. One Hobie tank of macks/dines supplies me for (6-7) trips.

I think structure and location is most important. Find the structure where the commercial guys are not or find them crawling...THAT's where the consistent success is at. Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Old 09-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
Crazy Cajun
Junior

I always bring extra wire ties, glow sticks, measuring tool, gloves, flash light and a knife in a Tupperware container. Most of these wont float and all are nesasary at one point or another. I place a glow stick on the front and rear handles of my yak. I also place an old broken rod in a rod holder behind my seat and tie a glow stick on the last remaining eyelet. This keeps it behind and above me and lights up my deck. I believe this also gives boaters a little more depth perception at night and keeps me from using my head light once my eyes get adjusted to the dark. I place my bait cages in a large Tupperware dish and store it inside my yak. This helps with the clean up the next day. Hopes this helps
Crazy Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Thanks for the insight. This will be my first season and im sure there is a huge learning curve that only on the water experience will really drive home, but this very helpful. Especially the saftey tips.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
619-SWIM-DOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
I feel like I've used it all and seen it all...I did the cat food thing, all flavors . Chicken legs... etc...I'm a mack/dine guy. I went quite a bit last year with zero cost on bait for me. One Hobie tank of macks/dines supplies me for (6-7) trips.

I think structure and location is most important. Find the structure where the commercial guys are not or find them crawling...THAT's where the consistent success is at. Jim
Thank you can't ask
For
Anything more......
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
JeffB

http://t.homedepot.com/p/YARDGARD-2-...231B/202024052

This is a rust free way to make your nets seal proof. Cut it to fit over the top of your mesh on your hoops. Both the 1/4" and 1/2" work great.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
easyday

Question. I hooped last year, and didnt really get enough to have to store them most were eaten within a day or 2. How does everyone store their lobster? I was thinking of just stuffing them in a food saver bag and doing the whole suction and seal deal, then toss in the freezer. Anyone have a better suggestion.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:31 AM   #10
roadx

fill your cards date, area, what type hoops and how many before you even leave the beach to stay legal.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:40 AM   #11
CKallday71

This will be my first year bugging and I have a question. How long do you let your nets soak? And what do you do while you're waiting for the bugs?
Old 09-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #12
Saba Slayer

How Long

If you are using flat (classic) style nets you don't need a very long soak time. It's really easy for the lobsters and crabs to get to the bait...they simply walk across the netting and start eating...so 15 minutes to 1/2 hour is usually enough time to get some visitors.
With the conical nets you are best off giving them a little longer soak time as the lobsters and crabs must figure out how to get up and into the net to start eating. 1/2 hour up to 2 hours of soak time is sometimes needed. I've watched with an underwater camera as the Bugs circle the conical style net and then leave as they can't figure out how to get in, and the next Bug walks right up and over the net as if he got the memo.
Jim / Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #13
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
If you are using flat (classic) style nets you don't need a very long soak time. It's really easy for the lobsters and crabs to get to the bait...they simply walk across the netting and start eating...so 15 minutes to 1/2 hour is usually enough time to get some visitors.
With the conical nets you are best off giving them a little longer soak time as the lobsters and crabs must figure out how to get up and into the net to start eating. 1/2 hour up to 2 hours of soak time is sometimes needed. I've watched with an underwater camera as the Bugs circle the conical style net and then leave as they can't figure out how to get in, and the next Bug walks right up and over the net as if he got the memo.
Jim / Saba Slayer
So which net style do you perfer?
Old 09-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #14
Deamon

There's plenty of opinions...here's mine. If you're on shallow spots, flats work great. Jettys, eel grass beds, rocks, shoreline, shopping carts , sunken boats , etc...easy for the bug to enter a flat trap, then pull your trap up quick and steady. They'll either hold on to the netting and come up for the ride or they kick around trying to escape. The faster you pull, the better your chances of them not shooting out during the haul up.

If you're in deeper water, maybe 20' and more, I definitely prefer conicals. Someone mentioned it in another post. There's nothing better than feeling the thump of a larger bug trying to exit a conical, but they actually get caught up in the fold of the net. I've got to think bugs shoot out of flat traps fairly easily as they are pulled from any depth...Jim

Old 09-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
danjor

Super soaker I need to get one. Had some idiot try to run me over with his boat multiple times last year to get me to leave my spot. Would have been perfect to soak him with cold water.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #16
DocHaole

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post
Super soaker I need to get one. Had some idiot try to run me over with his boat multiple times last year to get me to leave my spot. Would have been perfect to soak him with cold water.

I'm not sure a super soaker is a great idea. In general when dealing with powerboats, divers and sea lions we need to recognize we have the disadvantage. Escalating a confrontation puts the kayaker at the greatest risk for injury, not worth it over a couple bugs.
DocHaole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #17
ful-rac
Emperor

If there is a boater that is really trying to run you down, call the harbor patrol...they'll take care of his ass.

Dont mess with divers either...even if they are in the wrong, you start talking shit, your bouys will be floating away. You lose
Old 09-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #18
Raskal311

How about a spear gun in the line of sight just as a deterrent?
Old 09-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #19
Dail14

I would think a nice big heavy iron jig would work well too. And now you have something to do while soaking your net.
Dail14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #20
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
NEVER provoke something bigger than you. Spend time between pulls by making more bait.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote