Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
fishes

New to....everything.

Name's Chris and i just got into the sport. I've been an avid fisherman for quite sometime now but between school and work there was no time for my favorite hobby. Now that i finally graduated my wife surprised me with a (new to me) used kayak that I had found earlier on Craigslist.

I've been so obsessed with getting it on the water that I literally jump on the computer for hours after work and troll the interwebs in search of everything related to kayak fishing. I am not a complete amateur as I have been on the water with njovin and Bryantfish a few times before in a borrowed kayak in the big bay. This is what initially triggered my new obsession and it's now like a bad addiction where I fiend for more.

My goal here is to get out to LJ in hopes of something that will make mama proud but I will have to suffer the bay fishing to hone my skills as I slowly work up to it. I love the bay and there is a ton of fun to be had on light gear so no worries there.

So as I continue my hunt for more knowledge I just wanted to stop by, say hello and thank you for all the valuable insight. Hope to see you all out there...

fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
fishinkid2010

Congrats on the new kayak and welcome to the sport!
I know the feeling of spending hours online hunting for deals on fishing gear. Except my obsession is a 18' center console boat I can't afford. haha someday...

Good luck out there!
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
dorado50

welcome

Nice to have new blood on the water. Patiently awaiting tangled lines with you in the future!.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
Whizz Bang

Sounds eerily familiar.

Welcome Chris. Unfortunately we aready have to many Chris' (and Erics for that matter) so I am going to call you Joe.

Joe, that is exactly what happened to me. You will probably read those same articles on how to catch this or that a dozen times. If kayak fishing were compared to a drug it would probably be crystal meth. An addiction is probably a good way to look at this sport, because like an addict, you will eventually begin to hide your use, maybe even lie. This is often the case with the money involved. There will probably come a time in the future (if your finances are not separate) where you will begin to pull money out of the atm so that she will not see that tackle shop on the account again. I started down my path to addiction last summer, although I eschewed the bay and headed straight from Ric's OEX shop in Kearny Mesa straight to La Jolla and haven't looked back since.

I would like to tell you that it gets better. That with time on the water and a little therapy from a gifted psychiatrist, that you will not be sneaking off to jump on the computer to see if anyone has posted some monster fish in the 20 minutes since you were last on BWE. I want to be able to tell you that you can beat this thing, that it is just a phase, a novelty that will wear off. That soon enough its charm will be a distant memory, the kayak growing faded and sun rotted, forgotten along the side of the house. But that is really not the case. Its hold on you may ebb and flow, with life often getting in the way of you and your new addiction. But it is probably here to stay. Welcome Joe, my name is Eric and I am a kayak fisherman.

Last edited by Whizz Bang; 12-29-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
bender0240

HAHAHAHA! Fuc*in' funny Eric! Sadly he speaks the truth. Good luck Joe

bender0240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:15 PM   #6
bellcon

Quote:
and it's now like a bad addiction where I fiend for more
welcome to the club
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

My name is Bob and I am a Kayak Fisherman too.

If only I had taken up crime or drugs my wallet would be thicker and my wife would be pissed off less often. We are addicts... happy addicts but addicts none the less.

There is no cure. So resign yourself to a future of countless hours of repetitive casting, endless trolling and the heartbreak of losing another trophy to a hungry sea lion.

There will be wet launches and even wetter landings. You will lose expensive gear as a result of bad luck or bad decisions. Over the next few years, you will spend hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars on stuff that will only marginally help you quench your insatiable lust to catch more or bigger fish. You will hide the fact that you made these purchases from family members, but proudly display these treasures to your fishing buddies.

Occasionally, there will be that fantastic, wonderful day when everything goes right. The day you catch your first Yellowtail will be imprinted in your brain along with your children's birthdays and your wedding anniversary date. It is highly recommended that you do not get these dates mixed up. Most wives do not celebrate the date that you caught your first big fish.

So welcome to our little club. We are an eclectic mix of young and old, rich and poor. Every ethnic and religious persuasion is represented. We have smart people and some who appear to be absolute idiots sometimes. The bottom line is that when we get out on the water, we are all brothers and sisters who share a passion for this sport.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:41 AM   #8
j mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Occasionally, there will be that fantastic, wonderful day when everything goes right. The day you catch your first Yellowtail will be imprinted in your brain along with your children's birthdays and your wedding anniversary date. It is highly recommended that you do not get these dates mixed up. Most wives do not celebrate the date that you caught your first big fish.

Bob
LOL!
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:44 AM   #9
Hypoxic1

I think Bob pretty much nailed it!
Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:23 AM   #10
WahooUSMA

LMFAO when I read that! I just tell my wife now that I traded this for that - Quid Pro Quo defense. Works everytime (almost), but don't forget to remove the sales tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizz Bang View Post
There will probably come a time in the future (if your finances are not separate) where you will begin to pull money out of the atm so that she will not see that tackle shop on the account again.

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:19 AM   #11
fishes

Thanks all!
I'm already considering a new credit card but something tells me that when the wife figures this out it'll be the end of me so probably not going to happen.

I'll be getting my fix this Friday in search of my first keeper hali in the big bay.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:02 AM   #12
Jim Sammons LJKF

Welcome to the Addiction!
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:02 AM   #13
Billy V

Tradition has it - that you will nail a huge yellowtail, or better on one of your first outings.

-So read up, and pack the proper equipment, and don't be shy asking for assistance on the water.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #14
THE DARKHORSE

It's true...

"[QUOTE=Billy V;49113]Tradition has it - that you will nail a huge yellowtail, or better on one of your first outings."

With a little help, of course .
My advice: Follow Whiz Bang's lead. Maybe not his financial advice, but take advantage of the safest launch on the West Coast...with ridiculous fishing a mile from shore.

I love the bay, too..when it's windy or raining. Watch the weather closely and stop by the La Jolla launch if you're not too familiar with it. There's even a camera to save a trip. It's just like the bay, but with GIANT fish. You can even fish for Bass if you want it to seem more like the bay...just sayin' .

Old 12-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #15
j mo

Or jump start your addiction by hiring the guy above the Dark Horse. The best there is in the guiding business- no joke. My wife got me an outing with him as a bday gift a year ago and with his help I have taken my fishing to a new level.

Unlike so many of the doo-dads you will buy to try to catch fish, you actually get a tangible return from hiring him that will grow with each outing on the H20....

Best of luck!

Josh
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #16
fishes

Believe me fellas I want to be in La Jolla with big fish, that's the goal, but honestly I don't think I'm ready. I'm a big guy, tipping the scales at 320#, and I need to get my balance stable before I make the plunge. I am actually planning to get to LJ in the next couple of weeks (no gear) and practice my launch and landings and maybe I'll fall out a few time to see if I can haul myself back up.

You will see me out there very soon.

Chris (Joe)
Old 12-30-2009, 12:43 PM   #17
WahooUSMA

This is so true....Josh is the man. By the way Josh, I still have credit on the books, right?

Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by j mo View Post
Or jump start your addiction by hiring the guy above the Dark Horse. The best there is in the guiding business- no joke. My wife got me an outing with him as a bday gift a year ago and with his help I have taken my fishing to a new level.

Unlike so many of the doo-dads you will buy to try to catch fish, you actually get a tangible return from hiring him that will grow with each outing on the H20....

Best of luck!

Josh

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #18
bentrod1

So you want to be a kayak fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
My name is Bob and I am a Kayak Fisherman too.

If only I had taken up crime or drugs my wallet would be thicker and my wife would be pissed off less often. We are addicts... happy addicts but addicts none the less.

There is no cure. So resign yourself to a future of countless hours of repetitive casting, endless trolling and the heartbreak of losing another trophy to a hungry sea lion.

There will be wet launches and even wetter landings. You will lose expensive gear as a result of bad luck or bad decisions. Over the next few years, you will spend hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars on stuff that will only marginally help you quench your insatiable lust to catch more or bigger fish. You will hide the fact that you made these purchases from family members, but proudly display these treasures to your fishing buddies.

So welcome to our little club. We are an eclectic mix of young and old, rich and poor. Every ethnic and religious persuasion is represented. We have smart people and some who appear to be absolute idiots sometimes. The bottom line is that when we get out on the water, we are all brothers and sisters who share a passion for this sport.

Bob
Bob,
Do you mind if I use this as the forward to my beginners guide to kayak fishing book?
bentrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #19
JoeBeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooUSMA View Post
but don't forget to remove the sales tag.
LOL just did that today.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:05 PM   #20
TCS

My name is Tom, and I am a kayak fisherman too. This week I did pretty well managing my addiction, however I did spend $5.00 on hooks, $10 on a jig, $75 on new waders and spent about 20 hours on the water.

Okay, I didn't manage it that well.

Didn't even really try to...

Anyway...

Hope to see you on the water soon bro!
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote