Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #41
mtnbykr2

[QUOTE=wiredantz;80454]The only hat i have left is this one!!

So if you see me wearing it you know its me.

that is awesome I believe all of us "north shore navy" should have those
hats, i love it
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #42
Limits
Kayak Fanatic

Sorry for the late reply. I forgot I had started this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
I don't think anyone plans them it all depends on your experience level and how you negotiate the waves as you are coming in. Knock on wood I have not flipped launching or landing yet.
I was really referring to this in the general sense; how often does that happen. I'm sure most don't plan to flip in the surf, but if the conditions look dicey, do you give it a shot anyway?

It's a long haul from where I reside to the shores of LJ so I try to ensure that that conditions are at least somewhat conducive to a successful launch. That being said, I've never flipped in LJ but again, I've only had less than a dozen outings there too. (knock on wood)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODOGFISH View Post
are ya planing one
Not exactly. But I was curious as to how often that does occur in LJ.

You want to caravan down there one day Oscar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
I just Flipped my yak yesturday!!

Here is my story, went out to Topanga Beach in Malibu.

So i started my day by myself at around 1pm there some wind and the launch was a breeze, i go all around left, right, south. Well i went out got plenty of bait, small calico no keepers. AND NO haliBUTTS!!!

Time 6pm
On the way back to land my radio says there having 3-5 ft surf and i said to myself ok i hope i make. I go back to see how the area i launch from is doing. AND there i saw some huge surf. So i strap and tie everything that loose. and i wait for the shore pounds to calm down. FINally a break int the surf. I start paddling really hard and fast. I am going to make it i think to myself 30 ft to go 25 ft to go 24,23,22, 18 ft to go. When i turn behind and look behind my shoulder and I see the biggest the meanest 7 FT wave that i have ever seen so close (maybe like 5-6ftwave) AND I SAid to myself O CRAP its going to break on me!!!! I grab my paddle hard and start paddling to one side to keep the yak from turning in the water. I gather my samsonite strength and start paddling even faster. My MALIBU X-FACTOR kayak raises from the stern and the bow faces to a 45 degree angle into the water that the last thing i remember before i ended upside down and tosses me over board with my dignity. NEXT thing i know my kayak is upside down in about 4 ft of water. My rods are all over hanging by there leashes as well as my crate. I flip it back over. I toss my rods back on and pull it to shore. I only lost my hat and a gameclip. Forgot to tie the gameclip down. I am pretty good about leashing everything down. Man that was my first wipe out since i started fishing.

If anyone sees my Brown Cowboy hat and a game clip, let me know and for some reason i have alot of tar on my yak.

Man that surf was brutal!!! i am exhausted.

O SNAPs I just remembered i had my Fish ID cards that i made at kinkos in the CRate!!! Damn it...
Thanks for sharing. 7 footer in LJ....yikes, that's HUGE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 467echo View Post
If you are prepared to flip than you probably won't lose anything. Most peoples yard sale is because they were not prepared for what happened. If you have every thing secure and you flip the worst thing that happens is you get wet and people on the beach got to witness it. Hopefully without a camera on you.
That's true. I guess as long as everything is teathered, "we" should be good to go. Better safe than sorry. I might have to make some more leashes before my next trip then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
I think I have flipped of rolled more than half the times of landing back at the beach. That is why I got the OK Trident - I can store my rods, and gaff, in the rod pod and not worry about them.
That's very interesting. How many times is that? Do you chalk it up to simply bad conditions when you go? Maybe needing some refinement to your technique? Sounds like a lot of flipping. I'd have serious reservations about the trip if I was flipping 1/2 the time; but that's just me.
Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #43
Limits
Kayak Fanatic

Quote:
I WILL NOT UNDERESTIMATE A SURF LANDING AGAIN.

Next time everything i can fit will go inside my yak no matter what!
I hear you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I think I just discovered an unorthodox style of surf landing on a yak. For several months I've been thinking about how to prevent getting that yard sale (getting tossed) and today when I was about to land at LJ I decided to finally give my idea a try. As soon as I got close to the area where the waves were cresting I flip the yak around and paddled backwards, this allowed me to see all the waves as they were building, cresting and breaking. I had two waves come in that I know would make me surf, and probably get tossed. When these two waves hit I was able to slightly paddle forward and once the wave passed me I started to paddle backwards again.......worked better than expected.
Very interesting technique. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBeck View Post
Go out and surf your kayak, no gear for an hour or so. I actually enjoy doing this yearly. No more yard sales.
You know, I was actually thinking about this. Also, maybe going out in the harbor and intentionally flipping my yak (with a buddy close by of course!) and try to flip it back up right. I just want to be prepared in case of an accidental flip out in deep water or in the surf.

I used to have a Malibu Extreme and NEVER felt like I was going to flip it while out on the water. Being a Hobie Revo owner now, I've had a couple of outings where I was hung up on structure, pulled a little to hard and felt myself going going too far over to one side. Scary for a second, but got me thinking; how successful would I be at getting it up right if I did flip?

Maybe I think too much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSURF View Post
Tommy as long as you have been on the Yak i doubt you dump much!

JP
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but don't take my lack of flipping as sign of a well skilled kayaker, but more of a cautious one.

When we hitting the LB islands again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
Tommy,I know I shouldn't reply here because now its gonna happen... I have been lucky enough to have never flipped. If I'm worried I go in facing the beach but keep my legs out the sides to slow myself down then try to catch the back of the wave in. If it looks too big I just do A uturn in my truck and don't go out. Now that I have a Hobie its not as easy as when I had a prowler and stowed everything.
Doing the uturn is a difficult decision after driving 100+ miles to get there. Luckily, I haven't had to do it 'yet', but I hear you on that one.

Thanks John.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #44
Limits
Kayak Fanatic

Quote:
I found this video: I did it all wrong!!! You are suppose to lean into the wave!!!!

No wonder i totally flipped!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPL1vPW25kg

and this is what not to do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j2pD_TXFb8&NR=1
Great videos! I just watched Jim's video and took a bunch of mental notes. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #45
h2ofishfo

havent ate shit yet fingers crossed just gotta know how to time a set and if u see a roller coming close jump off and hold on to the nose of the yak and for hobie guys that use the paddle coming in why the hell do u do that the drive is faster
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:23 PM   #46
flydigital

Knock on wood I haven't tanked it in doing this for about 7 years.

Really there is no excuse to lose anything. If you are launching/landing with loose gear you are just asking for it IMO. While I have been lucky and haven't been rolled (yet) I expect and plan for it each and every time.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #47
flydigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofishfo View Post
and for hobie guys that use the paddle coming in why the hell do u do that the drive is faster
Because you can't turn the kayak around or have much steering control at all (in the surf zone) if you are using the pedals/rudder. Nor can you back-paddle. And no, the drive is not faster. Its about the same as the paddle actually. Also, you have much more balance and overall control with your paddle out. Good luck catching a wave without it.

To each their own. I always have the pedals and rudder up on the way out and back in.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:23 AM   #48
h2ofishfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydigital View Post
Because you can't turn the kayak around. And no, the drive is not faster. Its about the same as the paddle actually. Good luck catching a wave without it.

To each their own. I always have the pedals and rudder up on the way out and back in.
i guess to each there own????????why would want to catch a wave is beyond me i have a surfboard for that . and do u put the plastic drive piece in when u paddle because i highly doubt u are faster then the drive without it . last why do u wanna turn around in a wave thats how u flip
Old 04-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #49
flydigital

Quote:
i guess to each there own????????why would want to catch a wave is beyond me i have a surfboard for that . and do u put the plastic drive piece in when u paddle because i highly doubt u are faster then the drive without it . last why do u wanna turn around in a wave thats how u flip
LOL if you have never caught a wave that you didn't want to then more power to you. On big days I have occasionally been in the situation where it is unavoidable.

Why do I want to turn around? In a wave? Who said that? I mean in between waves. You know that sneaker set builds up right after you decide to charge in? Again, if you've never had to turn around for whatever reason then more power to you.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #50
h2ofishfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydigital View Post
LOL if you have never caught a wave that you didn't want to then more power to you. On big days I have occasionally been in the situation where it is unavoidable.

Why do I want to turn around? In a wave? Who said that? I mean in between waves. You know that sneaker set builds up right after you decide to charge in? Again, if you've never had to turn around for whatever reason then more power to you.
i hear u to each there own just that u start haulin ass in from 6-8ft of water to land and with the drive given u time the set right u can jump off in 2ft of water before that sneaker set comes in on u .seems that trying to turn around opens u up to the dreaded yard sale.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #51
flydigital

Quote:
i hear u to each there own just that u start haulin ass in from 6-8ft of water to land and with the drive given u time the set right u can jump off in 2ft of water before that sneaker set comes in on u .seems that trying to turn around opens u up to the dreaded yard sale.
In most conditions yes I agree with this, but really the drive isn't any faster. I can do about 4.8MPH either way, of course I can do it for longer with pedals but we're talking a short sprint here. So yeah for me I just like the maneuverability advantage of the paddle and don't feel I'm giving up speed.