Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
BrokeLoser

A good 'crossover' rod / reel combo?

I'd like to put together something that will work well for calicos and spotted bass and also work out for some freshwater fishing I do. Stripers, large and small mouth bass and cats.
I'm not real particular with rods, maybe something in the 8-15 or 10-20 range. I would like a killer reel though...maybe a Curado, Calcutta or Luna.
But what size? Which one would work best for this situation?

Thanks!
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
Limits
Kayak Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
I'd like to put together something that will work well for calicos and spotted bass and also work out for some freshwater fishing I do. Stripers, large and small mouth bass and cats.
I'm not real particular with rods, maybe something in the 8-15 or 10-20 range. I would like a killer reel though...maybe a Curado, Calcutta or Luna.
But what size? Which one would work best for this situation?

Thanks!
That's a wide range of species, that usually require a wide range of gear. Its like saying you want one club to use for a pitch n' putt AND for the enter 18 holes at Pebble Beach.

For spotties - I use up to 8 lb test. My favorite is a Curado 200E7, loaded with 8 lb izorline on my Phenix MBX606L. If I go down to 6# test, I use my Curado 100B or Citica.

For calicos - its 40# (or higher) braided backing with a short top shot of 20-25# mono on my Curado 300E, strapped to my Cumara 72MH or my custom Phenix 7 footer (rated 10-25#). I fish tight to structure, so I always want plenty of backbone to pull them fish from cover.

My spottie set up is what I use for fishing Barrett Lake for LMB, but then again, my biggest fish there was only around 2 lbs (embarrassing when you figure there are plenty of 5+ lb fish there). You'd probably want another 10 or 12# test outfit for the bruisers.

For catfish, its usually sit and soak, plus you never know how big a cat you're going to get. Local regional lakes, you can get away with 6# test. But if you get into the big boys, you might want 20# test and plenty of it. And this on a rod long enough to cover distance depending on if you're fishing from the banks.
Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limits View Post
That's a wide range of species, that usually require a wide range of gear. Its like saying you want one club to use for a pitch n' putt AND for the enter 18 holes at Pebble Beach.
Hahaha..
I knew someone would say this...thanks and I know you're absolutely right. But lets just say I'm on a strict budget, willing to compromise...I'm not aspiring to be like Bill Dance anytime soon...is there a rod and reel that could 'kinda' work all around for this?
Old 04-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
bubblehide

With spectra and topshots (that you can easily change out), you can do a lot with one reel. I'd say all those reels would do what your asking; after all, from 8 to 20# line, is not a big range at all, and I've often used my now older Calcutta's in just that way. But you may want to be a bit more paticular on matching it to a rod for your intended target.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
With spectra and topshots (that you can easily change out), you can do a lot with one reel. I'd say all those reels would do what your asking; after all, from 8 to 20# line, is not a big range at all, and I've often used my now older Calcutta's in just that way. But you may want to be a bit more paticular on matching it to a rod for your intended target.
That's kinda my thought with topshots you can cheat a little and get away with less than ideal gear
Old 04-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
Nic D

curado 200e7 would be my reel of choice and a calcutta rod rated 12-25. Will be on the heavy side for bay bass but you can manage.

instagram - @DRAGO619
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #7
Amish Ed

I use a Shimano Convergence (15-30lb) with either a Cardiff 200 or Curado 200. I use the set-up for anything from 6-15lb and I don't use braid w/a topshot. With braid I could easily push it farther.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

get a two speed, the trout dont stand a chance.

Your on the right track as far as swapping out top shots. 60# backing of spectra and you can top down to 8 as needed.

Happy hunting Tiger.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote