Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2011, 07:37 AM   #1
RoeBoat

adhesive question

I've mounted a trolling motor on a tandem kayak for the times my son and I go out together. I registered the kayak yesterday with the DMV, got the stickers that need to go on the kayak, and can't get them to stick to the plastic. Does anyone have a trick for getting stickers to stay put? I tried cleaning the area with sand paper and rubbing alcohol, no luck. thx
RoeBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
Handymansd
Ancient Member

I used a Paslode framing nailer to attach mine...

Seriously, A little sanding and careful work especially around the edges with marine goop should do the trick. The expansion and contraction of the PVE in cold water and hot sun means that a flexible adhesive like marine goop would probably work best.
You could also have them printed onto Vinyl and then attach that to your sleigh, expensive but doable.

Or you could just take the motor off... inexpensive, healthy, and safe!

Cheers...

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I remember correctly you don't need to register your boat, or have CF numbers, unless your boat has a GASOLINE engine?

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
flydigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but if I remember correctly you don't need to register your boat, or have CF numbers, unless your boat has a GASOLINE engine?
Wrong. Any motor (beyond human powered) makes you a vessel which requires registration.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

I concur with the "any motor" requiring a CF number, as well as the recommendation for a thin layer of marine goop. Course sandpaper to scuff the kayak surface. Shot peened kayak surfaces that are dimpled, do not work well with just the adhesive on the sticker.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

I concur with the "any motor" requiring a CF number, as well as the recommendation for a thin layer of marine goop. Coarse sandpaper to scuff the kayak surface. Shot peened kayak surfaces that are dimpled, do not work well with just the adhesive on the sticker.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
BT

I dont remember where it was or if it was even a CA kayak, but I remember seeing someone with a pic of their yak with a trolling motor, and they had their registration numbers on a piece of wood that was attached to their crate behind their seat.

I would check with the harbor police and see if something like that is allowed.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

So a kayak with an electric motor like a Torque or eVolve requires a CF number? Do you need a different license if you go to another state? What if you travel all over the country?

Amazing! I know a couple of guys who are breaking the law every time they hit the water.

Pretty soon they will start regulating toilet paper. Very disappointing.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #9
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoeBoat View Post
I've mounted a trolling motor on a tandem kayak for the times my son and I go out together. I registered the kayak yesterday with the DMV, got the stickers that need to go on the kayak, and can't get them to stick to the plastic. Does anyone have a trick for getting stickers to stay put? I tried cleaning the area with sand paper and rubbing alcohol, no luck. thx

Just lick your hole...I mean hull and stick 'em on! I'll call you in the a.m.! Hope you and Will are having fun!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #10
flydigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
So a kayak with an electric motor like a Torque or eVolve requires a CF number? Do you need a different license if you go to another state? What if you travel all over the country?
Yes Torque or eVolve require CF. Laws are different in every state of course. I'm not familiar with registration requirements in other states but that is how it is in CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Amazing! I know a couple of guys who are breaking the law every time they hit the water.
Yeah, I see the same thing. Its obviously not enforced all that much. But for a few bucks to get the CF I would rather be in compliance than not. Oh, once you do have a CF you have to follow a whole bunch of other rules now just like any other motor boat. I like a cold beer when kayak fishing every now and then, that would be a big no-no with the CF.

Anyway I agree its ridiculous regulation and they should consider electric motors up to a certain HP rating to be the same as human powered non-vessel.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
premo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooUSMA View Post
Just lick your hole...I mean hull and stick 'em on! I'll call you in the a.m.! Hope you and Will are having fun!
little help brother

BTW why you putting motor on the kayak,why don't you buy boat?
premo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:44 PM   #12
ericko

id say a motor is cheeper than a hole boat.
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #13
mrJB

Adhearing to poly plastic...

To get your stickers (or velcro strips, etc.) to adhear to plastic, put a thin layer or two of contact cement on the hull, let dry, then afix your sticker, and you should be good to go for a semi-permanent application.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #14
RoeBoat

thanks for the responses, guys. I have some extra goop so will give that a try. I like the idea of putting the sticker on the crate, making it a portable solution, but I'm pretty sure the CF number has to stay with the kayak I registered and can't be "shared" between kayaks.
RoeBoat is offline   Reply With Quote