Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-13-2019, 10:22 AM   #1
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

Dana Point Headlands Area 6/12

Sorry no pics but made my way through the fog Wed morning to the Headlands/Salt Creek area. First time I have ever been over there. Usually I just fish outside the break water.

Fished a small/medium mackerel off the bottom from 6:30 to around 9:30 with no hits. Started in about 50-60ft just past the red buoy and later moved to around 30ft, closer to the cliff. While drifting just off the bottom I tried a few other tactics below...

Brought some shrimp as I wanted to catch a sheep-head but all my bait was stealth-fully stolen off my hook. I was fishing in about 30ft not to far off the big rock that prominently sticks out of the water. Anyone have any tips on shrimp size and hook size, location, etc for sheep-head fishing around there?

Spent the last hour fishing right in front of the big cliff in about 30ft of water. I was throwing a 5 inch white plastic bait. Bouncing off the bottom produced a number of hits, a break off and a couple of sandies and calicos. On the smaller size though. I hear that area used to be solid forests of kelp and a hot spot for WSB, Yellows and others. Looking forward to making that a regular spot for me.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:10 AM   #2
rvonkaenel
Junior

Could you give me a little information. I have just started fishing Dana Point. I normally just go a little South outside the harbor and fish. I have heard of the Salt Creek spot. Is it just a little North of the harbor inlet? How long does it take you to paddle/peddle to the spot. What are the land marks? Thanks for any feed back.
rvonkaenel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #3
DanaYakAngler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvonkaenel View Post
Could you give me a little information. I have just started fishing Dana Point. I normally just go a little South outside the harbor and fish. I have heard of the Salt Creek spot. Is it just a little North of the harbor inlet? How long does it take you to paddle/peddle to the spot. What are the land marks? Thanks for any feed back.

Strands is the beach just north of the headlands (point), the next beach up is salt creek. I take it easy on my peddle up and it usually takes me around 30 minutes to get to the point/south end of strands. Usually good kelp to fish.
DanaYakAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:57 PM   #4
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

I did not see any kelp at all when I was there last week.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:54 PM   #5
Stuck20

I've never used shrimp but have quite a few good sheephead out there using live sardines from the barge. I use a size two hook on a carolina rig with 25 lb flouro. Not sure if it's traditional, but it works for me.
Stuck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:06 AM   #6
rvonkaenel
Junior

Thanks for the info DYA
rvonkaenel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:18 AM   #7
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by daperrin View Post
I did not see any kelp at all when I was there last week.
There isn't much anymore, but there is some regrowth going on.