Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
boxturtle

How do you guys remove lobster tail meat for sashimi?

How I do it:
-cut tail from torso
-run knife edge deep on the two sides of the belly side
-peel off underbelly cover
-then try to pry tail meat off

Where I have trouble is the last part. All my sources said it should come out clean and easy. The way how I do it I always leave a ton of meat behind. I'm looking up if there is a type of curved blade but only come up with curving tools. I don't waste anything because I make miso soup with the left overs. But I wish to have more sashimi Any advice? Like always thanks for your input!

Happy Holidays Everybody!
boxturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
igotpron
Xcoastie

I've never made sashimi. But I would just split the tail in half right down the middle. I would also just pull the tail from the body while twisting. You shouldn't be leaving any meat behind like this.
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
boxturtle

will try cutting the tail the middle and see how it fairs.....pron you should try it! it's clean and sweet with an almost crunch texture. Not the goey texture that everyone expects.
boxturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
PE.rider

Freeze the tail for an hour, but not rock-solid. This is to firm up the texture of the flesh to make extraction easier.

Use cutting shears and cut along lobster tail hard topside. The meat should benkept intact by the freezing process.

Cut the tail into bite sizes.

I suggest using ponzu soy sauce along with freshly grated wasabi... maybe julienne some shiso leaves and garnish.

Bon Appetit!
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote