Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2016, 09:06 AM   #1
YakDout
Brandon

First timer

Thanks to mike and shane for showing me the ropes out in the bay yesterday.

Mike has been trying to get me fly fishing for some time now. A couple months ago I picked up a TFO setup and got a chance to use it yesterday in San diego bay. I had low expectations only because I wasnt sure If I would understand the cast or actually catch fish, but man I was wrong. After a couple corrections suggested by the guys, I started to really enjoy just casting. Fly is going to bring me a completely different aspect into the sport. Now my fiancé may never see me.

Mike let me borrow a couple if his handmade ties since I dont have any in my box yet. This orange guy which I am guess is pretty big in the fly world, landed me some spotted bay bass and a bonefish. According to Mike this is the "holy grail" of fly species for a san diego fly angler. He was mentioning the significance of this fish through out the day. It did fight hard on the long light rod and I thoroughly enjoyed being out there.

Cant wait to give the fly a shot in Baja.

Here is a picture of the homemade fly Ill let Mike post his name he has for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:29 AM   #2
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Sweet!!!
Old 03-14-2016, 10:39 AM   #3
Fishin Phil

Fly

That is a nice looking fly and I really like the weedless feature.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:24 AM   #4
Mike scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Thanks to mike and shane for showing me the ropes out in the bay yesterday.

Mike has been trying to get me fly fishing for some time now. A couple months ago I picked up a TFO setup and got a chance to use it yesterday in San diego bay. I had low expectations only because I wasnt sure If I would understand the cast or actually catch fish, but man I was wrong. After a couple corrections suggested by the guys, I started to really enjoy just casting. Fly is going to bring me a completely different aspect into the sport. Now my fiancé may never see me.

Mike let me borrow a couple if his handmade ties since I dont have any in my box yet. This orange guy which I am guess is pretty big in the fly world, landed me some spotted bay bass and a bonefish. According to Mike this is the "holy grail" of fly species for a san diego fly angler. He was mentioning the significance of this fish through out the day. It did fight hard on the long light rod and I thoroughly enjoyed being out there.

Cant wait to give the fly a shot in Baja.

Here is a picture of the homemade fly Ill let Mike post his name he has for it.

Good times! Definitely a nice alternative when the surf is up and we can't go for yellows. Baja is definitely in the forcast this year to go for some roosters!
I'll call this fly "The Bony Bum Tickler" haha!
Cheers mate!
Old 03-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #5
2-Stix

That fly looks like a Clouser Minno. Great for steelhead and big strippers. I would fish that streamer a lot as a kid because it was a lot more fun that nymph fishing tough shallow rivers with rocks and weeds in Mammoth and the Western States.

Welcome to the sport with the most gadgets ever. Its really funny how the freshwater guys get fired up on the salt for the shot at big fish and the seasoned salt guys end up on the fresh as some point. Both such a different experience. Fresh offers a lot of interesting locations to fish. But hardly fish over 5#. You will find a lot transfers over between the two types of fishing. Flyfishing on rivers can get extremely challenging and makes salt look like a walk in the park. The challenge is unbelievable fun. If your interested in the fresh part of it, my Dad is a flyfishing guide, teaches classes, has a great small book on the basics. He's unreal. Taught me everything I know. I ride his coattails. Hit me up if you need info.

Great stuff none the less! Get some! Change out that Bass hat for a Orvis hat. Ha.

Last edited by 2-Stix; 03-14-2016 at 11:59 AM.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:38 PM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

The guiding is something I might end up doing to cut the learning curve time. Everything else I have done so far has basically been self taught but if it gets to a point when I feel the need for it I will probably go for it. And I agree on the orvis hat

YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:11 PM   #7
TJones

Well done with the tying

You really are putting the squeeze on him.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote