Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
fearnofish

San Carlos Mexico late Thanksgiving weekend report Kayak and boat

Late report for San Carlos Mexico. Drove down for Thanksgiving weekend to target my first yellowtail.
Name:  P5280117.JPG
Views: 1302
Size:  74.3 KB
No problems on the way down except for the torrential downpour once I got to Hermasillo. Some construction and flooded roads had me turned around for a few minutes but I got back on track. Arrived in San Carlos later than I had hoped so I didn’t get to launch the kayak as planned. Headed over to a spot where the corvina can be caught from shore. I have seen some big ones (10 lbs plus) caught here and I have caught them up to six or so. None this evening except a small snapper type fish and a couple lizard fish before it started raining and got dark.

Got the gear ready that night and launched from this cove in the morning.

Name:  P5280097.JPG
Views: 1261
Size:  97.8 KB

I made a quick paddle out to the point where I had heard the yellowtail and sierra were on the bite.
Name:  P5280045.JPG
Views: 1261
Size:  84.4 KB

My goal was my first yellowtail so I went straight to the point where they were supposed to be. There were some boats trolling and a few using iron. Not much live bait readily available in San Carlos so I was geared up with Rapalas to troll and speed jigs which was my bait of choice. Once I got to about 85’ of water I marked a good bait ball with arches underneath. I dropped the jig to the bottom and started my amateur speed jig technique. After only about four cranks I got bit. There was no question what I had on. I had heard these fish pull hard but you just don’t know until you have one on. WOW is all I can say what a blast these fish are to catch!! It immediately started peeling line and I was a little worried I wasn’t geared up enough. I like using lighter tackle if I can and being a fresh water convert I always under estimate the power of salt water fish. Down in San Carlos I don’t think they see too many kayak fisherman as I saw allot of boats staring and pointing and cheering once I was hooked up. I do know a few people have made the trip down. After a back and forth tug of war I brought my first yellowtail to the gaff!! I was absolutely stoked!! It was only about 10 or 11 lbs but to me it was a monster! I was by myself so it was tough to get good pics.

Name:  P5280040.JPG
Views: 1249
Size:  73.6 KB

I quickly got set up again and dropped again a few more time and BAM fish on!! This one was bigger and schooled me and broke off midway through the fight. I tied up again and to make a long story short I hooked up four more times but didn’t get another fish to gaff before the bite shut down. By the time I paddled back to the beach I was 5 jigs lighter than I started with. Mostly due to my newness to the speed jigging and a couple to the fish.

Name:  P5280077.JPG
Views: 1254
Size:  93.5 KB

Spent a little time exploring that afternoon and went to the marina. Over the last few years I had corresponded with a few folks from the San Carlos fishing forum one of them being Fernando from Catch 22 Fishing charters who had given me allot of info on the area as well as pointers on speed jigging techniques. I stopped in to see him as I wanted to fish a day with him to learn a few things if there was a possibility of sharing a boat with someone. We looked at the weather and it looked like Saturday was going to be a little bumpy with pretty good winds. Once I told him I was going out on the kayak if I didn’t go with him we were on! (I think he was afraid I would get sea sick). I bought a few turkey sliders from him to replace the jigs I lost earlier. (cheaper that I could have got them in the states!)

We met at the dock at 6:30 and readied the boat. The weather seemed a little better than predicted and turned out to be the case. We headed straight to the point and the bite was on again right away. I think Fernando and Duncan had three or four to the boat before the bite shut down. We fished hard after that chasing the bait balls around with not much more to show for it. We decided to head out to deeper water and try jigging for Grouper. Caught a few small fish but nothing worth cranking up from 375’ down! We headed back in shallow and decided to try another spot Fernando had had success in the past. Right away we had a triple on! Reels were singing everywhere. What a blast!

Name:  DSC_5192.JPG
Views: 1246
Size:  63.7 KB Name:  DSC_5190.JPG
Views: 1247
Size:  68.8 KB Name:  DSC_5212.JPG
Views: 1247
Size:  60.7 KB

This bite lasted much longer and we ended up the day with 21 yellowtail caught. They were all on the smaller side, I think the largest would have only gone 15 lbs or so. We kept some and released some too. All I knew is we were going to eat good that night!! After cleaning the fish Fernando graiciously invited me to join him for dinner at his brothers resteraunt. We brought some fish and this guy made absolutely the best fish I ever ate!! I went back the nest night too and did the same thing. It was outstanding!!

Over dinner I decided to go out with Fernando again on Sunday as the weather report was not looking good. Winds were supposed to blow pretty hard and they did. Would not have been kayak friendly. Sunday thankfully was a repeat of Saturday with a quick bite in the morning and a longer one in the afternoon. We ended up with 14 fish caught Sunday. I broke out the Curado 300 and put it to the test and it did not fail me! I had it spooled with 20lb floro and had a blast with it.

Name:  DSC_5219.JPG
Views: 1263
Size:  76.9 KB

By the end of the trip I had blisters on both hands and bruises on both sides from jigging so much. I used both spinning and conventional gear. I have to say catching that yellowtail from the kayak was the highlight of my trip but fishing with Fernando, owner of Catch 22 Sport fishing could not have been any better. Not just because we caught a bunch of fish but because it was truly like fishing with my buddies. We all made fun of each other when we screwed up and just had fun. If I needed help with something I got it, but if I wanted to do it my way that was cool too. Great outfit and I would highly recommend them if you ever go down. I am guessing he could haul some kayaks out to San Pedro Island too.

The whole trip was fairly reasonable cost wise. Fernando’s prices were fair and the casita I rented was clean, had two bedrooms, full kitchen and bath for only 65 bucks a night. If you get the opportunity go!!

Andrew
fearnofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
f'nsabiki

GREAT STORY!!!!!! The pics are beautiful. I have some of those jigs. I haven't been able convince myself to use them--maybe now.
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Awesome pictures and story. In every picture you have the biggest smile; I know I would have one too with that scenery and fishing.

I remember you talking about this trip when we went to San Clemente. I was waiting for this report from you. It looks like you had an epic time....
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
fearnofish

It was a great time for sure Roby!! This was my first long road trip after losing the yak off the top of my truck when I was headed back to AZ from your part of the country. I was a little nervous but all went well. I added a couple extra straps!! Here is a couple more pics.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
bellcon

Awesome
sounds like a great adventure
Old 12-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
Amish Ed

Great report and I love that you did it all on light tackle.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:51 PM   #7
eertkao
Steve-O.

Thanks for the fun read and cool pics!
eertkao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
StinkyMatt

One of the best reports I read in a loooong loooong time!

Solo
light tackle
making new friends
kayak NOT falling from the truck
good mexican cooking

Perfect trip!

The scenic shots of the bay cliffs are amazing.

Boys.......3 day trip ?
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #9
ashmoz

Great report man. Added something to my agenda for sure!

cheers
ashmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
Iceman
Administrator

Ahh San Carlos..............I wanna go back! Looks like that skiff shot was just outside Titas de Cabra. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #11
fearnofish

Pretty close for sure Andy,
that is Tetacahui (tits of the goat) in the back ground.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #12
kobra

What an adventure! Pretty cool and great pics.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #13
Socalrobt

Great report ! Nice job!
Socalrobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #14
RK

They are the coolest fish on the planet I love your yellowtail stoke man....
Rad post

And congrats on nailing your target species...
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #15
driftwood

Is this for real or a dream? i'm speechless...

driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #16
Iceman
Administrator

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?!?! Only 14 hours away.

View Larger Map
Old 12-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #17
fearnofish

You are right on the money Andy all you need is a long weekend! I may go down again in Feburary. Driftwood that is for real but slightly enhanced kinda like the women in Scottsdale... That pic is enhanced slightly to bring out more color. Notice the sky and water are very blue. Here are a few more pics from the area that have not been enhanced. A couple are from a previous trip over Thanksgiving weekend in 2008.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #18
Iceman
Administrator

We went there in 06, I would like to go back and fish the coast sans mothership!

4 day weekend will work!

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ht=titas+cabra
Old 12-12-2011, 06:40 AM   #19
mtnbykr2

Absolutely beautiful...
great report, pictures tell all, and you came out with some good eats...
great job, looks like an epic trip
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:54 AM   #20
j mo

Perfect rainy day post! Great report
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote