Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2015, 07:17 AM   #1
HobieScot

Using old Flourocarbon?

I was cleaning out my garage and came across a few spools of the old seaguar floro in 20,25, and 30lb test. It's the old all blue packaging and I would guess it's between 10-15 years old. It was stored in a drawer in my tool box all this time.

I did a couple pull tests on it and it seems fine. I also tied a couple knots and it seems to be functioning normally.

Has anyone used old floro before with good success? I'm wondering if it is worth using? I already bought a new 30lb spool and will be using that for now. I'm just wondering if it's even worth using this old stuff? They are basically full spools so I'd hate to throw them away. But if it means a chance at loosing a nice fish then it's not worth it

Has anyone tried using old floro?

would you give it a try or just toss it?
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:24 AM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

It would probably work just fine but....I'd toss it if I were you....It's not like you live on a deserted island and it washed ashore...
Old 08-06-2015, 09:24 AM   #3
Mahigeer

At $9:00 a pack for 25 yds, I would give it a try.

Sun is very bad for fishing lines. If it is clear and has been inside a garage with moderate temp. It maybe ok.

Maybe do a test with a scale on a segment of it.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:31 AM   #4
Dave Legacy

I know as far as it applies to fly fishing, and there's no good reason why it should be any different in other applications, fluorocarbon lasts forever. Tom Rosenbauer from Orvis has talked about it quite a few times on the Orvis podcast if you want to look it up. Amongst the fly angling community there's some concern about leaving snippets of FC in the rivers, since it'll never biodegrade, accumulation, blah blah blah. I don't have scientfic facts to back this up so maybe this has been debunked?

Nylon/monofilament is a different story. Even properly stored there comes a time when you might not want to trust it.

If the fluorocarbon line you have is a co-polymer and not a pure FC it might be junk.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:20 PM   #5
tacmik

no good. give to me and I will dispose of it properly for you.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:57 PM   #6
Scoot
Scoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
At $9:00 a pack for 25 yds, I would give it a try.

Sun is very bad for fishing lines. If it is clear and has been inside a garage with moderate temp. It maybe ok.

Maybe do a test with a scale on a segment of it.
More like 18 bones per 25 yd. I'm using some old stuff tomorrow
I'll let you know! Or hit up Ful rac he must have endlist supply!
Sewer guys got it all!
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:59 PM   #7
ghotion
Junior

Take it out, try it and let us know how it worked. We all thank you very much.
ghotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:09 PM   #8
TCS

On let's talk hookup the Seaguar guys always say that flouro does not deteriorate except if subjected to temperature extremes. Its UV and chemical resistant.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:50 PM   #9
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS View Post
On let's talk hookup the Seaguar guys always say that flouro does not deteriorate except if subjected to temperature extremes. Its UV and chemical resistant.
I did hear that too...10-15 years is an extremely long time though...with all the big fish that are around lately....going with new, at least you'll have peace of mind.

I wonder if the way they formulate or manufacture floro has changed in the past 15 years...? I'm sure it has....
Old 08-06-2015, 09:20 PM   #10
TCS

I'm fishing 40lb most of the time.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:57 PM   #11
jorluivil

Ask yourself this question:

Do I want to use 15year old line when I hook my trophy fish or my first tuna on my kayak? If you're willing to take that chance go for it. I've purchased 3-4 spools of Flourocarbon this year.........why? Because I don't want to take that chance.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:11 PM   #12
T-Rex

Take a few feet and test it on a spring scale to see what the breaking point is. I have some 15 year old 20# carbonpro fluoro that has turned to junk over time and breaks at about 10#. With conditions the way they are, it's not worth taking a chance on losing the fish of a lifetime. Typically my new Seaguar goes to its rated test without breaking.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:54 AM   #13
HobieScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Ask yourself this question:

Do I want to use 15year old line when I hook my trophy fish or my first tuna on my kayak? If you're willing to take that chance go for it. I've purchased 3-4 spools of Flourocarbon this year.........why? Because I don't want to take that chance.

That's exactly why I picked up a new spool of 30# yesterday

I agree with you. It's not worth taking a chance at loosing the fish of a lifetime! If I'm fighting a tuna for 30 plus minutes and it pops off then I find it's because the old flouro busted I'd be pissed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2015, 04:56 AM   #14
HobieScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
Take a few feet and test it on a spring scale to see what the breaking point is. I have some 15 year old 20# carbonpro fluoro that has turned to junk over time and breaks at about 10#. With conditions the way they are, it's not worth taking a chance on losing the fish of a lifetime. Typically my new Seaguar goes to its rated test without breaking.

I did a few quick tests and it seemed to be functioning like normal. I'll do some real tests over the weekend with a scale and post the results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2015, 07:21 AM   #15
taggermike

I've heard that fluoro holds up very well over time. Add that to the price and it makes since to use it. On the other hand, if you hook a 40 lb yt or white sea bass on it you'll be worrying about the line the whole time. If it passes the scale test I'd say use it tho. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:06 PM   #16
JohnMckroidJr

Flouro is rediculously expensive. If it passes your knot tests, use it !
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote