Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
Lipripper92592

Hobie Bait Tank 6Volt Battery Question

I've been having some Hobie livewell issues the last three times I headed out. After replacing the switch I thought I had everything fixed, but it died again. The pump seems to work just fine, but dies after some time, and sometime being about 5 hours.
Which leads me to believe it is the battery.
When fully charged and allowed to rest for a day, the standing voltage is 6.2volts. I believe this is too low.
If you have a few minutes, could you check the standing voltage on your fully charged 6volt battery with a meter and let me know what the reading is? Trying not to waste $$ on a battery if that's not the issue, but your findings will confirm or debunk my theory. Thanks so much.
Chris
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:16 AM   #2
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Just get a fawking battery already. The tank only has three parts motor, switch, battery. You checked the motor and bypassed the switch. What else could it be
Old 01-08-2015, 11:28 AM   #3
GregAndrew

It could also be your charger, so check the output voltage. You should have a higher voltage reading on a fully charged battery. My LiFePo 4 batteries charge at 7.3 volts.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:54 AM   #4
Lipripper92592

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Vega View Post
Just get a fawking battery already. The tank only has three parts motor, switch, battery. You checked the motor and bypassed the switch. What else could it be
I spent all my $$ on waders
That's probably going to boil down to it. Check that voltage for me when you get home
Old 01-08-2015, 11:56 AM   #5
Lipripper92592

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
It could also be your charger, so check the output voltage. You should have a higher voltage reading on a fully charged battery. My LiFePo 4 batteries charge at 7.3 volts.
I'll check the hobie charger as well. Thanks Greg.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:16 PM   #6
jorluivil

Does your motor rattle? The last issue that I had with my bait tank battery going dead sooner than expected was actually because of a bad pump motor/impeller.

Originally, I thought my issue was with the battery so I bought a new 6volt battery on Ebay, gave it a full charge, rigged my bait tank to a bucket of water and let it run, the battery died in under 5hours. After trying it another two times I figured that I was sent a bad/old battery so picked up a second one from OEX, charged it, tested it, 5hrs later..............same thing happened.

Could I have picked up two bad batteries?

I don't recall who it was that told me (I believe it was Tony) but he mentioned that he had a similar problem. He had asked if my motor was making any noise, I said YES, he said REPLACE IT, I did, that fixed my problem. Its hard to imagine that a bad impeller motor could cause this problem but it can and it will. I'm not saying that's your problem but its something to consider.

I replaced the motor back in 2013, the two batteries that I bought and motor have been running flawlessly since I replaced the motor.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:48 PM   #7
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Once you start draining it completely dead, you damage the charging capacity.

I just noticed yesterday, that OEX sells a switch now, to help limit the usage of the battery. I

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...-Switch/Detail
Old 01-08-2015, 01:47 PM   #8
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipripper92592 View Post
I spent all my $$ on waders
That's probably going to boil down to it. Check that voltage for me when you get home

Old 01-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #9
YakDout
Brandon

6.2 is too low for full charge standing voltage. Try putting it under load and testing it with meter again. Then run the pump for a couple hours with water and test again with battery disconnected, should still be over 6
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:00 PM   #10
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

6.8 - 7.2 volts!!
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #11
Lipripper92592

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post
6.8 - 7.2 volts!!
Thank you, thank you thank you!
That's around what I figured, but everyone on the interweb thinks they are a battery expert, so lots of false information out there.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:39 PM   #12
Lipripper92592

Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Does your motor rattle? The last issue that I had with my bait tank battery going dead sooner than expected was actually because of a bad pump motor/impeller.

Originally, I thought my issue was with the battery so I bought a new 6volt battery on Ebay, gave it a full charge, rigged my bait tank to a bucket of water and let it run, the battery died in under 5hours. After trying it another two times I figured that I was sent a bad/old battery so picked up a second one from OEX, charged it, tested it, 5hrs later..............same thing happened.

Could I have picked up two bad batteries?

I don't recall who it was that told me (I believe it was Tony) but he mentioned that he had a similar problem. He had asked if my motor was making any noise, I said YES, he said REPLACE IT, I did, that fixed my problem. Its hard to imagine that a bad impeller motor could cause this problem but it can and it will. I'm not saying that's your problem but its something to consider.

I replaced the motor back in 2013, the two batteries that I bought and motor have been running flawlessly since I replaced the motor.
I found the replacement cartridge at Walmart for $12, just about to head down and pick one up. Thanks so much for the information.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:00 PM   #13
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
Once you start draining it completely dead, you damage the charging capacity.

I just noticed yesterday, that OEX sells a switch now, to help limit the usage of the battery. I

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...-Switch/Detail

If its an old battery just go get yourself a new one, do like Tony says and QUIT F**KING AROUND WITH THAT SH%T!!!

If the new battery doesn't fix the problem move onto the next item, the motor. If it was the motor that had the problem and not the battery you now have two batteries to use, you can do like I do and swap them out each time you go out.

Sometimes the easiest solution is the simplest.

Author: who cares!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #14
PapaDave

I once had a similar problem, after buying two new batteries, it turned out to be the charger, it didn't fully charge the battery. Just a thought. Also had a problem with the terminals on the connector, the motor would not turn on or would quit at odd times. Turns out the connector was corroded.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:51 AM   #15
Dannowar

Leave the bait tank at home. You don't have to charge a salas 6x
Old 01-09-2015, 08:03 AM   #16
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
Leave the bait tank at home. You don't have to charge a salas 6x
Hell yeah! Haven't got a yellow on bait yet! Goal for 2015, learn to stop sucking at fishing with bait!

All my best fish last year were on lures! Bluefin tuna, yt, halibut, bass, rockfish, etc. All on some type of lure! No slime, no battery required!

Old 01-19-2015, 08:59 AM   #17
blazian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcrossb View Post
Well, that is good to hear. 62lbs of added water can be left behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Damn how large is your livewell that it weighs 62 lbs in water weight? At 8lbs per gallon you have 7.75 gallon? thats a shit ton.
blazian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:06 AM   #18
YakDout
Brandon

The hobie livewell holds 8 gallons
Old 01-19-2015, 10:10 AM   #19
ghotion
Junior

5 hours is too long to be on the water anyway.
ghotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:16 PM   #20
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghotion View Post
5 hours is too long to be on the water anyway.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one Bob