Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
igotswansons
Junior

Advice needed: Malibu Mini X for kelp fishing?

Looking at getting my first kayak and eventually use this to do some kelp/inshore fishing in La Jolla. I have heard getting a >12' kayak is needed for this type of fishing. The Malibu Mini X is under 10' and would be easy to load and store. I'm also 5'7" so I'm not a big guy. I've heard I will probably have issues with speed and tracking with this size kayak so this wouldn't be ideal for ocean fishing. Does anyone have any experience with this kayak?
igotswansons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
drillsar
Junior

The speed and tracking will definitely be comprimised, I just sold the one I had, and got a Tarpon 120, The size is convenient on a mini x to load and store, but i quickly grew out of mine, on real windy and choppy days after a long day of fishing you will be spent paddling in.. and I only used mine in the bays. but really it's up to personal preference. But all the guys I spoke with that said I would grow out of my mini x were right. Good luck.
drillsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
vortex
Junior

I had X factor, then I had Stealth 12. Now I have Mini X. I like mini x for La Jolla fishing. Stealth 12 is a little faster, X Factor about the same. But with Mini X it is much easier to turn, in windy weather it is important. I ma 210 pounds and it is good for me.
vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
igotswansons
Junior

thanks for the input guys. I understand tracking and speed are compromised but how dramatic is this compared to a 12' (a Cobra FnD for example). I've heard those are pretty slow as well. I've read the Mini X is pretty stable too. If one was to compare the speed of Mini X vs. a Stealth 12 or a FnD, what would the speeds be with the same amount of energy exerted? If the difference were significant, I would be convinced to go with a larger yak since I want to be able to cover the amount of water associated with inshore/kelp fishing.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
I sold my Mini-X a few weeks ago, after testing out for a few months on "the goon" @ Castaic. I found it was not speed and tracking but, the storage was too small to carry many of the items that I use just for Bass fishing. Since my saltwater gear (with the exception of my Fly Gear) is more extensive and heavier, I figured I needed to upgrade to a larger yak.

Fortunately I found a Pro Explorer listed shortly after I made my decision to upgrade. (btw: if you want a Pro Explorer FnD almost new send me a PM I think I can get you one like mine only in Mango @ the same price as mine).

I also have storage/transport issues but I won't have to worry about not being able to carry my Saltwater gear.

My only regret is that I didn't notice that the tank area on the Pro Explorer is also not that much larger than the Mini-X, but it's still an improvement over the Mini. I admit I will miss the manueverability of my Mini however and there is no rudder system made for the Pro Explorer.

My next yak X-Factor, Trident 13 or an Outback (regardless of home storage issues).

My best suggestion would be to take your Mini out to the lake/harbor with all/most of what you'd use out on LJ and see if you can carry everything you'd need.

Best of luck on your decision,

FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:08 AM   #6
maui jim

First time ever no one mentions Hobie......wow.. you guys are slippin'

Go Cobra's...
Old 07-06-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
First time ever no one mentions Hobie......wow.. you guys are slippin'

Go Cobra's...
Look for a hobie quest. 12 feet long handles well in bay and the open water. and is a real kayak, no peddles needed.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
igotswansons
Junior

Seems like the difficulty of storing and loading the longer kayak outweighsnthe shortcomings of the mini x. People don't seem to be too bothered with the mini x's issue with speed and tracking while fishing in la jolla. Looks like I will probably pull thr trigger. Thanks for everyone's input!
Old 07-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
cjthomas

I have both the X-factor and the Mini-X. I'm 5'11 and 180 pounds so the x-factor is a little big for me. The x-factor is a better kayak for La Jolla because of the speed and tracking as previously mentioned. With the x-factor you can get some momentum going, stop paddling, and glide for a little while. The mini-x has a very hard time gliding. Also, as you paddle, the mini-x bow will move right-to-left, or left to right. The difference is like walking (mini-x) and skating (x-factor). You will go faster and cover more ground on the x-factor, which is good in La Jolla.

Also, the x-factor doesn't do too bad in the surf if you know how to work it (lean back, paddle in the wave, hang foot over the side). Plus, it has TONS of storage so all your rods (even the 8 foot ones) will fit nicely inside the kayak.

Both kayaks are great though. I love the mini-x for bay fishing and the x-factor for open ocean. They are both SUPER stable, being over 30 inches wide, I can stand up paddle either one. So if you plan on covering a lot of ground I would consider something with better speed and tracking then the mini-x.
cjthomas is offline   Reply With Quote