Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2020, 05:41 PM   #1
ShugaShane562

Great Day out of Newport

Some nice rockfish today at 200 past the buoy. Also caught a PB sand bass (16inches) on the yak today. Caught it in a shrimp fly no squid on it with a 6oz sinker. He slammed it. Got really choppy right at noon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ShugaShane562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:41 PM   #2
ShugaShane562

Rockfish

Old 08-15-2020, 09:10 PM   #3
soyaky
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShugaShane562 View Post
Rockfish

Nice catches! I’m heading out there tomorrow. I see you got the Lighting Strike! I got the camo trim. Thanks for sharing!
soyaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:11 PM   #4
ShugaShane562

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyaky View Post
Nice catches! I’m heading out there tomorrow. I see you got the Lighting Strike! I got the camo trim. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! Right on! How you liking it so far?

Old 08-15-2020, 09:34 PM   #5
soyaky
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShugaShane562 View Post
Thanks! Right on! How you liking it so far?

Once I put the turbo fins on.... I felt like Michael Phelps and Husain Bolt combined! It’s amazing now.
soyaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:48 PM   #6
ShugaShane562

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyaky View Post
Once I put the turbo fins on.... I felt like Michael Phelps and Husain Bolt combined! It’s amazing now.

Nice I did the ST fin upgrade not the Turbos

Old 08-24-2020, 08:08 AM   #7
Top Gun
Junior

Rock fish outside of Newport jetty

I’m just trying to get the coordinates for the rock fish catching outside of Newport jetty just passed Buoy. I went out on Friday and I was out past the buoy around 200 feet straight out and I didn’t see any rock piles or any anything on the fishfinder showing where they would be is there anybody out there that can help me out give me some guidance where to go if you have the coordinates is that I can put in my fishfinder that would be better appreciate all the help in advance thanks
Top Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:26 AM   #8
ShugaShane562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
I’m just trying to get the coordinates for the rock fish catching outside of Newport jetty just passed Buoy. I went out on Friday and I was out past the buoy around 200 feet straight out and I didn’t see any rock piles or any anything on the fishfinder showing where they would be is there anybody out there that can help me out give me some guidance where to go if you have the coordinates is that I can put in my fishfinder that would be better appreciate all the help in advance thanks

What kind of fish finder do you have. It’s very subtle humps in floor. It’s not super large and noticeable. Some are but you will be out there awhile looking for them.

Old 08-24-2020, 10:38 AM   #9
StrikerMC
Instagram:@nomad.waterman

Quote:
Don't focus on finding structure, but there's a few nice hard bottom spots out there that are closely guarded. However, if you kayak around between 175-295 and look for baitfish clouds with some thicker yellow/red marks, drop fast! They're often on humps or small rocks that are hard to pick up on sonar.
StrikerMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:59 PM   #10
Top Gun
Junior

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it. When you go out past the red buoy to 192 to290 is it straight out or is it to the left or is it to the right when you come out of the jetty. I plan on going out this Saturday.

Thanks
Old 08-24-2020, 09:04 PM   #11
StrikerMC

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Appreciate it. When you go out past the red buoy to 192 to290 is it straight out or is it to the left or is it to the right when you come out of the jetty. I plan on going out this Saturday.

Thanks
Study this map, play around with the different overlays. Look for anything out of the ordinary and go there with your sonar. Also, bottom lock your sonar to 30-50 feet, and use a heavy sinker to drop right down as soon as you see the beginning of a mark. Don't drop after you see the full mark, cause it'll already be behind you. That's how small the rockfish spots are here.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:04 AM   #12
Top Gun
Junior

Old 08-25-2020, 04:28 PM   #13
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikerMC View Post
Study this map, play around with the different overlays. Look for anything out of the ordinary and go there with your sonar. Also, bottom lock your sonar to 30-50 feet, and use a heavy sinker to drop right down as soon as you see the beginning of a mark. Don't drop after you see the full mark, cause it'll already be behind you. That's how small the rockfish spots are here.
What map?
Old 08-25-2020, 08:58 PM   #14
StrikerMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
What map?

Weird I thought the link went through. Here it is: https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=e..._%7C%7DkEjfnnU
Old 08-25-2020, 09:47 PM   #15
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikerMC View Post
Weird I thought the link went through. Here it is: https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=e..._%7C%7DkEjfnnU
no problem, a couple of years ago a fellow fisherman shared some gps points with me. I went out and never got on the points but near them I cleaned up on sand dabs. Which was still great to me, I love eating sand dabs. Thanks for sharing the map.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:51 PM   #16
Harry Hill

I guess I'm dumb as a rock, are all those marks on the chart from you? Waypoints you have marked when fishing. I see X's and it looks like flowers. I'm really not trying to find your spots just trying to understand what I'm seeing.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:22 PM   #17
StrikerMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
I guess I'm dumb as a rock, are all those marks on the chart from you? Waypoints you have marked when fishing. I see X's and it looks like flowers. I'm really not trying to find your spots just trying to understand what I'm seeing.
Good question, but no they aren't mine. I wouldn't give them up that easy

But yeah look at the map overlays to just understand where to look and not waste time. Ditto on the sanddabs, they are great. Redondo has been kicking out HUGE ones recently.