Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-16-2021, 10:05 PM   #1
SoCalCuda
Travel Blogger

Kayak fishing blog

Do you think kayak fishing is the fastest growing sport? Based on your observations over the last decade, what do you think? Check out the attached blog for persons getting into the sport.

https://beachestobackroads.com/2021/...-in-the-world/
Biggest salmon -37lbs, lingcod 35”, rainbow trout 23”, brook trout 13”, White Sea bass 33”, bottom fish 23", largemouth 17”, calico 17”, striped sand bass 20”, halibut 23”, sheepshead 16”, cabezon 20.5”, steelhead 25”, red ear 10.5, bluegill 10.5....

Beachestobackroads.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmblH3XWON8qXKSNltF2cHw

Last edited by SoCalCuda; 04-22-2021 at 03:58 PM.
SoCalCuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:06 AM   #2
skrilla

Yes. Rising boat trip prices and fuel surcharges made me search for alternatives. I got a better bang for the buck fishing on a kayak and acquired skills I'd never learn "at the rail". Fished many areas where boats wouldn't or couldn't go. Perfect timing as the last decade has been a race to the top in regards to fishing specific kayaks. Also the community has mostly looked out for one another and has weeded out the undesirables real quick.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:46 AM   #3
SoCalCuda
Travel Blogger

What I like is that in most places I can catch the same fish on a kayak that most can catch on a boat.
Biggest salmon -37lbs, lingcod 35”, rainbow trout 23”, brook trout 13”, White Sea bass 33”, bottom fish 23", largemouth 17”, calico 17”, striped sand bass 20”, halibut 23”, sheepshead 16”, cabezon 20.5”, steelhead 25”, red ear 10.5, bluegill 10.5....

Beachestobackroads.com

Old 04-19-2021, 07:33 AM   #4
SoCalEDC

I'm not sure I agree. I would like to see some data suggesting its the fastest growing and know what metrics are used and in what context. Kayak fishing is pretty niche in the realm of fishing and represents a pretty small portion of all outdoor activities. If its based on the percentage of growth relative to what it was 10 years ago i.e. it grew by 400% (just an example as I have no idea what the actual numbers are) that still represents a relatively small percentage of overall "sports" because the sport is so niche.

Edit: Per a quick google search and the first 5 articles dated from may of 2017 to September 2020, not a single one lists kayak fishing. The closest thing was stand up paddle boarding and that was 2nd to paddle tennis on a list from may of 2018. Pickleball and e-sports are at or near the top of each list.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe

Last edited by SoCalEDC; 04-19-2021 at 07:39 AM.
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:39 AM   #5
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCuda View Post
Do you think kayak fishing is the fastest growing sport? Based on your observations over the last decade, what do you think?

https://beachestobackroads.com/2021/...-in-the-world/
I enjoy your blog and youtube channel, but I would like to see some data that supports the fastest growing sport?

It seems like it was growing fast a decade ago, but seems to have leveled off in my area. Older kayakers getting boats, solo skiffs or fishing jetski's, and a few new people constantly trickling in and out of the sport. I don't mind being the only kayaker on a wreck, rather than fishing in a crowd.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:43 PM   #6
SoCalCuda
Travel Blogger

Socaledc and John, I agree with you both. Using a co-writer, and hearing you guys, I am going to make some changes.

Thank you guys for you input. I would love to add a pole to this and find out how long users have been kayak fishing for.

Beachestobackroads.com

Last edited by SoCalCuda; 04-22-2021 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 02:09 PM   #7
JulianJohn
Junior

An interesting blog. With the many benefits of using kayaks for fishing, every angler has a reason to opt for it over other vessels for fishing. Kayaks are the vessels you need for versatile fishing over different water bodies to catch all kinds of fish. I think that getting a fishing kayak is worth your money, time, and effort. From my experience, I can say that this type of sport is fishing and a kind of adrenaline because it is challenging to control something in such a boat. I bought my kayak and everything I needed from here https://bluehouseskis.com/. The prices are excellent, and the quality is high. I have some plans for next week, and I hope to go fishing again.

Last edited by JulianJohn; 05-10-2021 at 07:59 PM.
JulianJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:46 AM   #8
TJones

I tend to agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCuda View Post
Socaledc and John, I agree with you both. Using a co-writer, and hearing you guys, I am going to make some changes.

Thank you guys for you input. I would love to add a pole to this and find out how long users have been kayak fishing for.
Lots come out the gate hot and quickly fizzle. Kayak fishing is a lot of work and there is a lot involved. Some guys quickly figure out that this is not for them and move on. one possibility is that they get discourage while trying to figure the learning curve. A very difficult and challenging thing, even for an experienced angler. Tight lines everyone. We need some activity on the board, its been pretty quite whilst its pretty much wide open on the party boats.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote