Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
ceviche eater

dragon fly on xfactor

will the dragonfly transducer fit in the lowrance transducer spot on a factor?
ceviche eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
TJones

Are X factors?

Now equipped as lowrance ready ?
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceviche eater View Post
will the dragonfly transducer fit in the lowrance transducer spot on a factor?

Yes - sort of. The transducer area is for Lowrance but I've mounted a dragonfly there. You need to modify a Lowrance bracket or make your own to mount it. Once mounted it sits a little low... not low enough to scrape bottom or anything, but low enough that it may catch kelp. I mounted a "fairing" in front of the transducer to prevent hanging up on kelp, so far it has worked flawlessly.

I've considered cutting off a portion of the transducer mounting arm to fit it completely up flush to the kayak with the cable running through a scupper hole, which would work, but decided against cutting my expensive new toy and I also wanted to retain the mount adjustability so that I can keep the transducer parallel to water level.

You might want to consider mounting it on an arm over the side, or mount it to your rudder if you have one, or even use the molded in rudder mount as an attachment point for a custom transducer bracket. Personally I feel like the transducer mounted closer to center and not behind the boat is better for shallow water fishing and besides, mounted off the back would be prone to damage.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
tsugg
LOWSPARK

I cut the lowrance plastic brackets off and the dragonfly fits better than my old lowrance did. If you search bwe I posted pics of the install here
tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #5
ceviche eater

thanks i will start searching!
Old 12-20-2014, 06:57 PM   #6
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsugg View Post
I cut the lowrance plastic brackets off and the dragonfly fits better than my old lowrance did. If you search bwe I posted pics of the install here
He's asking about an xfactor though, not a hobie.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #7
FISH11

I don't have one of the newer X Factors with the Lowrance ready transducer mount so I can't answer that question. What I can tell you is I installed a YakAttack track to the top rail area on my older X Factor and my X13, so I can use the Dragonfly that was part of the HOW Cuda 14 my grandson won in last July's raffle. It is a self contained system with the FF mounted on a battery box and has the Ram transducer mount, so it hangs over the side and can be adjusted to the right angle for whatever kayak I use it on. That has allowed me to compare the pictures on both displays on the Dragonfly and the picture on my Lowrance Elite 4 at the same time. what I found was that the picture on my Elite 4 was surprisingly very much similar to the Dragonfly's sonar and has more sensitivity adjustment to get the best picture and reduce the clutter. The Dragonfly seems to be more auto adjust. What it has helped me realize is the I can trust more what I see on my Elite 4 display when I don't bring the Dragonfly along. The self contained system is the way to go because it can be used in many kayaks or even taken on a rental skiff. Here is a still picture from a GoPro video on a recent trip to Mission Bay this December.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Still 1.jpg (41.4 KB, 88 views)
Old 12-22-2014, 06:18 AM   #8
ceviche eater

thanks for the info