Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-06-2016, 08:45 PM   #1
cris

Tandem Kayak Fishing

Hey Guys,

I'm in the enviable situation where my significant other is nuts about fishing. I've fished mostly from single kayaks with the exceptions of a couple of rental tandems with friends who don't have their own and I didn't particularly enjoy the experience but my friends new to fishing certainly appreciated my paddling...

Are there any of you who fish regularly from a tandem or is it wiser to get a second single? Does it make more sense to fish off a skiff because of the added mobility and space?

Thanks guys,

Cris
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:22 AM   #2
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm in the enviable situation where my significant other is nuts about fishing. I've fished mostly from single kayaks with the exceptions of a couple of rental tandems with friends who don't have their own and I didn't particularly enjoy the experience but my friends new to fishing certainly appreciated my paddling...

Are there any of you who fish regularly from a tandem or is it wiser to get a second single? Does it make more sense to fish off a skiff because of the added mobility and space?

Thanks guys,

Cris
I fish off a tandem with my wife, she loves fishing but has some nerve damage in her hand so needs me to tie on hooks and other stuff. She also has her own kayak but every time she needs a hook baited or hook tied on I had to paddle back to her so the tandem is better. We've only been tandem fishing a couple of times so far but it is okay but I will buy a better tandem kayak later this year.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:11 AM   #3
Dave Legacy

I bought my first kayak last August, a tandem, to use with any combination of my three small boys. It was the right decision for my situation, but I have found it to be an uphill battle to outfit it for fishing. As one would expect I yearn for a single and will probably buy one at some point this year. That being said a tandem is enjoyable if you accept it for what it is and don't insist on making to everything. In my opinion there is no perfect tandem, so research them all and choose the one that works best for you.

Not a great pic, but here's my FF setup:

Last edited by Dave Legacy; 03-07-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:23 AM   #4
DanaPT

For what it is worth... you will eventually find your fishing buddies to flake or say, have less motivation than you.

With a single you are free to go at it on your own. Almost always can find a partner at a launch.

If you can buy singles do that.

She might get tired of out fishing you and want to go on her own.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:13 AM   #5
PapaDave

I have a PA17, it is good to go single or double. I take my grandkids, friends or just go solo in it.

It's an investment to be sure, but it has been nice to be able to take others out.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:28 AM   #6
svendawg

Singles

If you both have a single you can cover more water and share fishing info while on the water. Like others have said there will be times where only one of you can go fishing so a single will be easier on that person.

If you both have a single you can both set up your kayaks to your own personal preference. It may cost a little more to outfit both kayaks but it will be worth it.

IMHO. I think two singles will be better for your marriage. Speaking from experience. Even if you always fish together just that little separation will be golden. It also give you both the opportunity to have little one on one competition. (speaking from experience with two wives and forty years of marriage)
And lastly if one of you quit fishing you can sell one of the singles and the other one can still fish
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:41 AM   #7
theluckypig

i have a hobie oasis that i use to take my two boys out. i also take my girlfriend, or other buddies out. it can also be a great platform for hooping (its like having a hobie pickup). it's an all around great kayak that i would recommend highly (if you use it...), but i am now looking to upgrade to a pa17... and btw i have a trident 4.7 for solo days...

theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:51 AM   #8
Harry Hill

the best thing about the tandem is I can sit in back and watch the wife paddle, as long as I wave my paddle around once in awhile she thinks I'm back there paddling also.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:50 PM   #9
Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
the best thing about the tandem is I can sit in back and watch the wife paddle, as long as I wave my paddle around once in awhile she thinks I'm back there paddling also.
That is funny.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:44 PM   #10
BigTunaL

I have a tandem Jackson big tuna and I love it. I take my wife and kids and have plenty of space for gear and fish. I would definitely recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigTunaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #11
Harry Hill

[QUOTE=BigTunaL;255225]I have a tandem Jackson big tuna and I love it. I take my wife and kids and have plenty of space for gear and fish. I would definitely recommend it.

I'm looking at the big tuna and the native watercraft ultimate 15 tandem, both have good features I like
Old 03-07-2016, 06:13 PM   #12
StinkyMatt

Do not get a Hobie Outfitter.

Very, very wet ride.

You put a small bait tank on it and you are a submarine.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:50 PM   #13
igotpron
Xcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Do not get a Hobie Outfitter.

Very, very wet ride.

You put a small bait tank on it and you are a submarine.
Slow and super wet compared to an oasis... If choosing a Hobie, oasis hands down for a tandem kayak. Rig a bait tank to go in the front seat when solo and it's fast and dry!!
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #14
cris

Thank you all for the replies. I will chat with my girlfriend and let you know what we pick. I love all the pictures with your kids, my favorite memories are fishing with my pops.

Cris
cris is offline   Reply With Quote