Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-24-2018, 02:54 PM   #1
BenCantrell

Introduction, obsessed species chaser, new to kayaking

Hi guys, I moved to San Diego last summer from Illinois. It was a big change, and mostly for the better! I was busy last year with shore fishing and a couple of boat trips, but this year it's my goal to get some experience kayak fishing. I brought a 10 ft sit-in Old Town when I moved, and while I know it's not ideal for the bigger waters out here, I'd like to keep using it for a while. When I have a mid-life crisis I can upgrade.

Here's the yak. It's been fun getting accessories for it. An old fish finder a friend gifted me is going on next.

I'd like to make some friends here who I can get out on the water with. Right now I'd like to stick to the bays, and my schedule is usually wide open on weekends. Hit me up if you're interested.

Late spring or early summer I'd be VERY interested in making a trip down to Baja, probably to Gonzaga Bay. I've dug through some old reports on here, and I'm getting really pumped about the idea.

Also, I wanted to mention that pretty much all my fishing is geared towards catching new species. I enjoy going after everything big and small, and I especially like to catch stuff that most people don't go after. Here are a few of the interesting catches since I moved out here:

Any rate, thanks ahead of time for the welcome. I'd like to get out this weekend, probably on Mission Bay. PM me if you'd like to join or if I can tag along if you already have plans.

Ben
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:15 PM   #2
Hunters Pa

Welcome!

Look in the events and Heroes on the Water sections. There are some events coming up where you can meet a lot at once.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:12 PM   #3
King Saba

You'll love chasing the multi-species we have here. Hit the kelplines for the best shot at catching a mixed bag. For bait, squid is universal here, candy bait if you will, but from past experience I've found that shrimp gets bit by everything.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:41 PM   #4
Orca Winfrey

Great report and welcome to the forum and SoCal. You’ve chosen a great place to live if you love fishing. IMO, if you’re planning on fishing open waters, you should get a sit on top yak. They are much more easy to deal with when you flip and they don’t fill with water when waves crash over you.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:52 AM   #5
BenCantrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
Welcome! Look in the events and Heroes on the Water sections. There are some events coming up where you can meet a lot at once.
Thanks I'll check it out! I've been looking for some volunteer opportunities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
You'll love chasing the multi-species we have here. Hit the kelplines for the best shot at catching a mixed bag. For bait, squid is universal here, candy bait if you will, but from past experience I've found that shrimp gets bit by everything.
Treefish is the first species I'd like to go for in the kelp. After that there's not a whole lot left for me - WSB and thresher come to mind. I've caught yellowtail but only tiny ones, so it would be nice to catch a legit one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey View Post
Great report and welcome to the forum and SoCal. You’ve chosen a great place to live if you love fishing. IMO, if you’re planning on fishing open waters, you should get a sit on top yak. They are much more easy to deal with when you flip and they don’t fill with water when waves crash over you.
Yeah my midlife crisis will probably be "I can't take my sit-in kayak offshore, time for a new sit-on-top, haha. With that said, I am getting all the safety gear like extra hull flotation, bilge pump, paddle float, etc, so if going offshore in my current setup is at all possible, I'd still like to give it a try. Buddy system and super calm day for starters of course.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:12 AM   #6
ctfphoto

Do not go offshore fishing in a sit in.

I have rescued people in those.

Do it right. There is a reason all the kayak fisherman have sit on tops. Get one.
Save the Midlife Crisis for a Hobie.

Last edited by ctfphoto; 01-25-2018 at 09:12 AM.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:38 AM   #7
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Nice man, welcome!

Craigslist is where its at... get a cheap SOT to start and go wild with rigging to see what you like/dont.

Also, Lizard fish are pretty cool - you will want to catch one of those.
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:50 AM   #8
BenCantrell

Thanks for the advice guys.

I've caught a few lizardfish. Comical little dudes.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:52 PM   #9
Hydronaut

Send a message via Yahoo to Hydronaut
PM

Sent you a PM about the Heroes on the Water event. Let me know if you got it.

Hydronaut
Hydronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:29 PM   #10
Orca Winfrey

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...467141470.html
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote