Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
kareem korn

La Jolla 8/11 a.m.

Launched with my son @ the shores @ 5:45am. There was already 10-15 others making bait little passed the can. I got four greenies and one spanish right quick, than nothing. Decided to proceed out with those, with the intent of making more out there. Got out to 70', tied up to my son, pinned on a green and casted it 20'out. Started showing him about the clicker, how to thum the spool, got picked up right away, great, now I showed him how to thumb the fish. Handed it off and talked him thru loading the rod up, flipping in gear and setting the hook. I really expected a backlash, but he did it perfect, and he was on. His first yellow. He had it to the boat in ten min +-. I gaffed it, ripped the gills out, secured it and threw it in his lap. I realized I was giggling like a girl the whole time. Kinda like when he got his first big unexpected hit in baseball. I think most fathers know what I'm talking about. I think I got a lifetime fisherman buddy now
He caught one really small (5lbs+-) that he wanted released.

Now he pured salt in my wound for the next 1/2 hour while I was struggling. Broke out the blue/white tady, and got hooked up first cast(lost). Few casts later and I hookup and land the biggest bonito I've seen or caught, 30", I did'nt weigh him, but estimated 9-11 lbs. Best fish fight in awhile. Caught two more yellowtail, one rat(injured, and kept), and one nice 10+ lb'er, released. Three nice log cuda, released, and two more normal sized bonito, released.

Very perfect day on the water , swell, temp, weather. Could'nt ask for anything better to bring my son out for his first yak/yellow trip. If you have a child that you want to turn on to this type of fishing and not loose his interest, and not worry about getting something too big and risk tipping or handing off due to fatige, than now's the time, get your kid fishing.

Headed in around 9am satasified. Found a nice baitball on the way that I wish I had in the a.m., and loaded up with 6 greens, 4 shanish, and 4 sardines to hand off to others on their way out for good karma.

Met another yaker (Todd) that handed us a yellow he did'nt want. Appreciate that brutha . It's going in the smoker as I write this..

That's about it.
Thanks for the picture help Andie

-Tim-
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:17 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Tim, I'd add the pix if they were in your BD gallery, but they are just attachments, so here is the link. The pictures of the kids are SO COOL!

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=50370
Old 08-11-2006, 08:57 PM   #3
kareem korn

Thanks

That was cool of you.

-Tim-
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:27 AM   #4
aguachico

cool report. The cuda were scary big out there.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote