Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-06-2018, 06:09 PM   #1
NY4Reels!
Junior

Question regarding newer Mirage drive

Hello people

I was thinking of purchasing my first kayak in over 15 years. I previously had a Malibu kayak and it always caused my back to ache as I have some atheritis in my spine.

I wanted to get a hobie pedal model, but I’m not certain If I want to buy new or used. My question is, are the newer mirage drives upgradable to the 180 version? Is there some sort of conversation kit?

The 12’ PA looks like a really stable fishing platform, but the new Compass looks a good too. I took one out for a short test ride and it was real comfortable, pretty quick, and turned on the dime. Even though it has a lower end seat that’s not at all like the vantage seat, it was pretty comfy. I’m just worried how I would feel after being all day on the water.

There’s going to be a handful of venders at the Fred hall show. Do you guys happen to know if they usually offer incentives to buy a new one or do any kayak dealerships offer some sort of military discount?

Any input that you guys have would be very helpful, thanks!
NY4Reels! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:33 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

The GT drive cannot be upgraded to the 180 drive. You either have a 180 or you don’t.

I have a reccomendation, if your gonna go PA go with the 14. If it’s too much kayak for you go with an outback. Your gonna love fishing off the the 14, as long as you can figure out how to move it around, you’ll be fine.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:33 AM   #3
Saba Slayer

Test Drive

There will be lots of seminars and info at the Fred Hall show as usual...we'll even have some Hobies in the water to test drive...
After you've made your decision on the type of boat you want...go see Andy at OEX Sunset Beach to get the best deal on your new or used yak!
I'm sure he'll beat or match any deal you'll get at the show.
And like Tony said...if you have a choice of the 12 or 14 PA go with the extra two feet. The price difference is so minimal...I think it's just a couple of hundred bucks.
Sign up for CCA CAL at the tent in front of the will call booth and get in the show free and get a great coupon book full of discounts and drawings for only CCA members.
I was there yesterday setting up the CCA tent and the Hobie Seminar area and the place is packed from wall to wall with vendors...BYOB...LOL

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:37 AM   #4
monstahfish

I would also always go with the 14 over a 12. That being said, if you have back problems, the compass weighs 50# less than a 14. Just be sure to cinch the straps on the seat back down as hard as you can for the most support on the compass. I've spent a good amount of time on both boats and they're solid choices. I still use my outback a lot though because it's proven itself capable of almost anything from 50+ pound fish to big surf to crazy wind squalls and big chop. I believe the fred hall show in long beach this weekend will have some on the water if you want to try em all.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:01 AM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

not a lot of swap able parts for conversion. Pedal arms and pedals, chains and cable
Old 03-07-2018, 10:34 AM   #6
NY4Reels!
Junior

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all of your input!

I wouldn’t mind a 14’ boat but I’m limited in storage space. CCA sounds good to!

Has anyone else have spent time with the Compas? If I weren’t to get a PA I think that I would load up a Compas, not sure yet.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:31 PM   #7
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY4Reels! View Post
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all of your input!

I wouldn’t mind a 14’ boat but I’m limited in storage space. CCA sounds good to!

Has anyone else have spent time with the Compas? If I weren’t to get a PA I think that I would load up a Compas, not sure yet.
Thats the exact same position I'm in. I need to spend some time in a seat but for how I fish and where I fish, the Compass seems to be the best option for me.....
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:19 PM   #8
Saba Slayer

Try One...

Either come by the show or go by Andy's shop in Sunset Beach and TRY ONE...It's the best way to be sure that it's the boat that fits you and your style of fishing.
We have a Compass, Pro Angler 14, Outback, i11s, and Eclipse in the water all week long....and some great seminars too...

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:28 PM   #9
Ddwineguy

I have a compass. I have owned an outback, a Revo and a PA 12. I do like the compass. It is stable and roomy. It does have limited storage and you do need to make a few mods to make it really fishable. That being said, I really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ddwineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:07 AM   #10
NY4Reels!
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddwineguy View Post
I have a compass. I have owned an outback, a Revo and a PA 12. I do like the compass. It is stable and roomy. It does have limited storage and you do need to make a few mods to make it really fishable. That being said, I really like it.

How do you feel it handles as compared to the PA or outback?

Is it stable, drier or more wet? How is it in choppy water etc?
Old 03-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #11
Ddwineguy

Compared to an outback, it seems roomier because it has a more open cockpit. I think it has less Hull slap then the outback, but occasionally I still get a good splash over the bow. The higher seating in all the newer hobies keeps you pretty dry.

It seems more agile and “sporty” to me than the outback. It does have a different angle when it sits on the water. It is hard to explain but it looks to the eye like your heading downhill in the yak.

Comparing to a PA is definitely apples to oranges. If you want to bring gear without worrying about space or weight and have the room and way to transport it is a great fishing machine. A little bit cumbersome to launch and land if the surf is bigger, but easy to do at La Jolla.

Just my two cents. I’m sure others have different opinions and experiences.

Ddwineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:10 PM   #12
NY4Reels!
Junior

Hey thanks ddwineguy! And every one else for their input!

Anything else I should I be keeping in mind or useful gear to pick up?

What about different type of rod mountings?
Old 03-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #13
CON KSO

Let me know if you want to buy a used PA14, I'm in San Diego. $2500 - boat is a great fishing platform!
CON KSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:41 PM   #14
NY4Reels!
Junior

So At the last minute I decided to go to the Fred Hall show and try out the Compass one more time, and also get in the Pro Angler to see how much of a difference there would be.

Well it was like night and day

The comfort level was ok on the Compass and it was faster, but the Pro Angler was so much more comfortable to me, keeping in mind the seats are much different.

Yeah it was slower, but It felt like there was so much more room. I felt like I was in a mini boat. It felt a ton more stable and seems safer to be in if I go offshore a bit.

If I set up the compass the way I wanted with the reverse drive (there is a mod kit), H Rails, Rectangular hatch, bucket, seal, anchor trolly, Track 2 cart wheels, medium fish kill bag, and not adding the FF or rod holders but subtracting the Fred hall show discount it would cost maybe about $700 less that the Pro Angler.

I have 7 days to make up my mind, but I’m pretty sure that I’m going with the Pro Angler. I know that it’s going to be heavier, but I will be loading it up in the bed of my truck. I’m going to see how well it will sit on two padded auto creepers that way I could push it out the garage and lift it up maybe 3’

It would
Old 03-11-2018, 07:44 PM   #15
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY4Reels! View Post
So At the last minute I decided to go to the Fred Hall show and try out the Compass one more time, and also get in the Pro Angler to see how much of a difference there would be.

Well it was like night and day

The comfort level was ok on the Compass and it was faster, but the Pro Angler was so much more comfortable to me, keeping in mind the seats are much different.

Yeah it was slower, but It felt like there was so much more room. I felt like I was in a mini boat. It felt a ton more stable and seems safer to be in if I go offshore a bit.

If I set up the compass the way I wanted with the reverse drive (there is a mod kit), H Rails, Rectangular hatch, bucket, seal, anchor trolly, Track 2 cart wheels, medium fish kill bag, and not adding the FF or rod holders but subtracting the Fred hall show discount it would cost maybe about $700 less that the Pro Angler.

I have 7 days to make up my mind, but I’m pretty sure that I’m going with the Pro Angler. I know that it’s going to be heavier, but I will be loading it up in the bed of my truck. I’m going to see how well it will sit on two padded auto creepers that way I could push it out the garage and lift it up maybe 3’

It would

Keep in mind that the outback is in the middle of these two.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote