Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 01-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #21
red sled
Junior

Thank you for the review and pictures.

Can you share more information on bounce ball fishing technique?
red sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #22
Flyfisher70

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamroll View Post
If you like the X-13, you should check out the Stealth 12 instead. The 12 is sleeker and closer to the X-13. The 14's hull is identical the X-factor.
I think I've just been sold on the sleeker hull design of the Stealth 12. Does anyone know when I would be able to purchase one, What Date?

Thanks
Flyfisher70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #23
Dan

cool post Adi. Those are nice looking boats fo sho.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #24
DaGoose
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sled View Post

Red Sled,

All I can say is just do it..........slow trolling the bottom in stealth mode will whack the flatties. And you don't need bait. There's some good info out there but most is a retread of folks that don't do it much.

Will gladly help out however possible.

My website is www.bestofbiggame.com.

Tight Lines,

Rick
DaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:55 PM   #25
sdcityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post
Hell yeah.
Gameplan: take them out for a ride in the Big Bay and fish for halibut., go to the bait barge and load up on some live bait.

baitbarge is selling to kayaks again? man, am i out of the loop!
Oh, and cool yaks!
Old 01-16-2009, 08:44 PM   #26
riken19
Junior

Went by OEX today to check the Stealth's out in person. From what I can tell the 14 looks like they took a cheese grader and took off the top deck of the x-factor and replaced it with their upgrades. (side hatches, roto molded livewell,etc) I especially liked the rear hatch now that it has been raised up an inch or so. Should keep water seepage out for bigger guys like me. The angle was not changed just brought up so the drop in tank still fits. Wow two livewell options! The 12 is nice as well but I put my deposit down on a Blue 14.
riken19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #27
trob

Send a message via AIM to trob
Looks great Brent!
Old 01-19-2009, 08:19 AM   #28
Rolo
Junior

The review mention that the bait tank hatch seal worked pretty good. Do you think this seal would be water tight if the space was used for dry storage? Does the seal need to be fine tuned? Anyway.. great review and great looking yaks! This has got the wheels turning in my head. How do you hide a 14 foot kayak so your wife doesn't know you bought another yak?

Rolo
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #29
anjcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
The review mention that the bait tank hatch seal worked pretty good. Do you think this seal would be water tight if the space was used for dry storage? Does the seal need to be fine tuned? Anyway.. great review and great looking yaks! This has got the wheels turning in my head. How do you hide a 14 foot kayak so your wife doesn't know you bought another yak?

Rolo
If you can hide then lie, Just won from BWE tourney
anjcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #30
Siebler

Quote:
The review mention that the bait tank hatch seal worked pretty good. Do you think this seal would be water tight if the space was used for dry storage? Does the seal need to be fine tuned?

Rolo

Overall it is pretty watertight. The problem is that it is only held down on the 2 ends, there are no latches on the sides of the hatch cover.

I just wouldnt put anything in there that would be broken if it got wet. But you want to do this with any hatch. Always use Dry Boxes or Bags when something MUST stay 100% dry.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #31
lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sled View Post

Masta Da Goose has said it the best - ball bouncing is simply slow trolling the lower water column. It is mostly done with the heavy led ball, 1lbs +, depending on the depth, or a current. You then may have dodger (not a flasher, ask Rick ) to give proper irresistible action to your favorite artificial lure (or live bait). You may not have the dodger at all, in the past I've been mostly doing it without a dodger (I would quickly get frustrated with the tangles). I believe there's something to be said about that thump of a led ball, ringing dinner bell for halibut. I'll try to write up some more about ball bouncing as I get more time to actually do it, hopefully hang some brown.

Don't miss Rick's article - http://www.bestofbiggame.com/BounceballTips.html

Quote:

Rolo
The hatch really seemed to seal pretty good. I had the tank full of water and bait, and I was intentionally rocking the boat to see if the water would be leaking on the sides. You ought to be able to use it for a dry storage, but I would still keep the water sensitive stuff in the dry bag, just like you would do in any other kayak hatch.

BTW, this was my catch that day...

full moon + high tides = back bay clean up, all sorts of crap floating.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #32
SeaDog

Quote:
BTW, this was my catch that day...

full moon + high tides = back bay clean up, all sorts of crap floating.

Well done!!
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #33
Iceman
Administrator

I picked up my first Stealth 14 yesterday from Malibu Kayaks for OEX Sunset Beach and am rigging inside today because of the rain. Here is a view of the pump set up from inside the hull.

Want to see one up close, stop on by. Next week I hope to have the Stealth 12 as well.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #34
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

That is a NICE thru hull design, I like it, no mas dragging around that bilge pump, snagging kelp, etc...!

chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:20 AM   #35
Iceman
Administrator

and yet another use for the Stealth tank. I think it will make a great live well for bass tourneys as well.

BTW I have both models as I picked up the Stealth 12 today

Old 01-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #36
Kippers
Junior

After much research, I'd settled on the Malibu X13. Now, the Stealth is a major contender...BUT, I don't see a 'Package' deal with the Stealth yet. Will there be one? Gotta have the help since I'm new and I've never rigged before.
Kippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #37
Siebler

I just put the Stealth packages on KFS yesterday.

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...aks/Categories

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:28 PM   #38
Kippers
Junior

Ah, yes. I see them now. Thanks.
Quick question: The Stealth 12 packages: The Ulitimate adds to $2061 retail, and the pkg price is $1,999. The other Stealth 12 pkg adds to $1,471 retail, yet the pkg price is $1,479. Is this correct? What am I not seeing, here?
Kippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #39
OEX
Administrator

Kippers

Both packages come with the pump kit and installation for a limited time right now. A value of $110 that you may not have considered.

Tsunaumi pump, toggle switch, screen, adj. aerator etc.

OEX
OEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:47 PM   #40
Kiyo

Well it's not yet finished but here it is. My new Malibu Stealth 14 with the X-wing.

Now inside the kayak I had Andy at OEX in Sunset Beach add a floating Bilge Pump so if it fills with water it will pump the water back out automatically.

Here is the battery for the automatic bilge pump and my pump for the internal bait tank between my legs. It runs on a 6 volt 12 amp. battery.

Here is the switch to turn the bait tank on or off. Even if the switch is off, it will still trigger the floating bilge pump in the back if the kayak fills with water.

This is the view of the big hatch over the bait tank. A little big for me but good for Anthony to fill me up with bait easier at the bait barge.

But when I close this big hatch, take a look at my other hatch I had Andy install which makes it a whole lot easier to get bait. Plus I can open and close it a lot easier.

My transducer is now mounted on the Malibu X-Wing so I now have my ducer on the outside instead of thru the plastic for better readings. I will soon be having a Humminbird side view model so this is perfect.

This is the hatch on the side of the x-wing to store the battery for the fishfinder.

The same old bait tank for those longer days of fishing. And will be used for a livewell for Bass Tournaments.

Plenty of rod holder storage!

A view of the fishfinder (temporary Eagle 242) until I get some more info. at the Fred Hall Show for the sideview Humminbird models.

Here are some live Mackerals from our last tournament in La Jolla. Mr. Pliska was kind enough to give me a few. I had the bottom drain plug out and kept the tank pump on low. Bait was really fresh and lively.

I'll be adding more photos soon. Hopefully with some fish!

Tags
malibu stealth 12, malibu stealth 14, malibu stealth-12, malibu stealth-14, review