Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

How to time the waves/surf?

Anyone who wants to spend a few mins explaining to a noob how the surf waves work and how they come in sets work?

Basically how do i time them...
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
KennyHill

I stand in about knee high water off to the side of the kayak and hold it straight so it gose over the white wash. As soon as i see my window of oppertunity... I dont wait for my next window...I just paddel my ass off and dont look back.

At least thats what i do. Ive yet to flip...

as far as comming in. I just close my eyes and put my head in between my legs and sing alittle song. when i look up im in
KennyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
tomah
Junior

When I used to body board, I would sit in the surf and wait for the largest sets to occur. Usually the big sets come in waves of 3 large waves. After that, there's usually a lull that allows you to get out. Big Sets usually come in 15 minute intervals. Alot of it is going to depend on tides and wave intervals
tomah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
swank

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyHill View Post
as far as comming in. I just close my eyes and put my head in between my legs and sing alittle song. when i look up im in
I'm going to try this, I'll let you know how it goes
swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:34 AM   #5
Dan

windswell is the short interval stuff produced by local winds or nearby fronts.

groundswell is the more organized long period stuff that comes in sets.

while timing can be tough some days, there are things you can do to help.

First, wade yourself out holding the front handle of your kayak in one hand and your paddle in the other. lift your bow when white water comes so you don't douche your deck or reels. wade out till you are up to your waist or even deeper. Then worry about timing it. Jump on after a set or when it looks clear and paddle like hell. If you have to take some on the chest, make sure you have some forward momentum....the second you get pushed backwards, you're hosed.

Everyone has a different landing style. I vary mine for whatever swell is in the water....recently is has been lots of windswell, so I go for the paddle in till I'm tits deep and then jump out, grab my rear handle and start moving towards shore. If a wave comes, I lift the rear of the kayak out above the breaking wave to keep it from catching it and pulling forward.

When I fish with my friend Kirk, I always land first so I can help him clean up all his shit. jusk kidding Kirk, not really.

Watch the tourists in the big red boats. 99% of them wipe out in knee high water the second they get a little side ways.

good luck.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:39 AM   #6
Deamon

As you're setting up, keep an eye on the surf and what it's doing. You should get somewhat of a rythym of the moment. Is there a lull? How often does it show up? Is there a slightly calmer spot close to you that you should move to? Patience can be a good thing...
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:33 AM   #7
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
Anyone who wants to spend a few mins explaining to a noob how the surf waves work and how they come in sets work?

Nice reading article:
Understand Ocean and Surf Conditions

http://www.thesurfingsite.com/Surf-Conditions.html

and then use sites like this:
Magicseaweed
http://magicseaweed.com/Scripps-Pier...dLongRange/us/

Surfline:
http://www.surfline.com/surf-report/...lifornia_4812/

And tides:
http://www.hribar.com/san-diego-tide-chart.html
or
for tides:
http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynami...rniasites.html

Greg
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:54 AM   #8
taggermike

Some days with one long period swell running it's easy to time the sets. Other days when there is a mix of swell, like 2' from the north, 3' from the south' and a close interval local wind chop it can be just about impossible. Tide conditions can make a huge difference too. You can paddle out at high tide and things are easy, then for the landing hours later all those sand bars you paddled right over will be breaking. It's always a good idea to watch the break for a while before you paddle out. If there are others heading out can see how they handle it and where they paddle out. See what works. There is also nothing better than some practice and experience. I'm surprised by how few people get in to the surf with thier yaks with out gear and just practice. If you know how your yak handles onder different surf conditions you'll be much better off when you're landing for real with gear. Here's one basic piece of advice; get the hell ot of the surf zone as fast as possible. The longer you spend in the surf the more likely you'll get in to situation you don't want to be in. Oh ya, practice. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:23 AM   #9
FARRIER

It just takes time on the water. You can read all the articles in the world but nothing trumps experience. If you drive down with your yak and you dont feel comfortable launching with your gear, take just your yak out and give it a whirl. But to more answer your question, I look out past the very last wave breaking while im waiting to come in. If you watch the water very closely you will see which waves are going to break outside versus middle by the shape of the swell. If the swells are long and flat they will break closer to shore. If they have more of an "A" shape to them the will most likely break outside. When its big I paddle in at a 45 to the beach so I can time the swells coming in. When a big one breaks i paddle right behind where it broke to take advantage of the waves energy pulling me to shore.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
Kirk
Junior

Nice one, Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
When I fish with my friend Kirk, I always land first so I can help him clean up all his shit. jusk kidding Kirk, not really.
Yeah. Don't ask me how to do a surf landing.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #11
Lets_Fish

When launching through the surf, I always look down the shoreline to check the interval of sets and look for the "channel" to paddle/peddle through. Waves hit the beach diagonal not parallel for the most part, so by checking to your left or right you will notice the "line" of a wave approaching the beach.

When you locate the "channel" this is the area you want to head out through as it is the zone that takes the water back out from the beach. Some channels will be very small, so look for the area that does not braek as much as the other areas in the surf. If you watch some surfers entering the surf you will see them heading out using the channel for the most part.

The channel will provides the best area for you to enter through the surf to the for .

If you spend time in the surf you will start to get a feel for what you can handle in the way of surf. Also watch for the rip currents at some beach launch/landings as this can be tough for entering/exiting the water.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #12
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomah View Post
When I used to body board, I would sit in the surf and wait for the largest sets to occur. Usually the big sets come in waves of 3 large waves. After that, there's usually a lull that allows you to get out. Big Sets usually come in 15 minute intervals. Alot of it is going to depend on tides and wave intervals
What he said

Yesterday at LJ the three largest breakers where followed by about a minute+ of knee highs. Read StinkyMatt's comments on my post titled HOOK UP for confirmation. You can sit at the waters edge with a stop watch, pen and paper and you'll see the patterns.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #13
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets_Fish View Post
When launching through the surf, I always look down the shoreline to check the interval of sets and look for the "channel" to paddle/peddle through. Waves hit the beach diagonal not parallel for the most part, so by checking to your left or right you will notice the "line" of a wave approaching the beach.

When you locate the "channel" this is the area you want to head out through as it is the zone that takes the water back out from the beach. Some channels will be very small, so look for the area that does not braek as much as the other areas in the surf. If you watch some surfers entering the surf you will see them heading out using the channel for the most part.
This is exactly what we did yesterday, we dragged our yaks a few yards south and although the wave action was still on the larger side they weren't as bad as the ones that were crashing right in front of the yak launch. When we landed we did the same thing, landed about 50yards south of the yak launch and dragged the yak over in knee high water.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #14
Billy V

Hobie Style

Step 1 Preparation
On the way out I install the drive well plug (so I can be more like a traditional Kayak) and lay the M-Drive in the well area (finns forward, peddles flat down on the deck) and use the bungie cord to tension over the top.

No hooks or irons tied on the rods. Store all other equipment inside the bait tank. Game clip, pliers, sponge, bait net, plastic game lipper, water bottles, etc.
No loose crap to wash off.
No electronics on the deck. Install that stuff after the surf zone while the great whites are checking you out.

Step 2 Paddle in Hand - Ready to Go !
While holding the front handle of the kayak in one hand, and your paddle in the other - wade out into thigh high water and watch the pattern of the surf.
You should see variation in the sets - after a few go by you must decide when to go for it - then paddle like a commando until you are past the surf zone.

-Never stop paddling- No matter what comes at you - charge straight through it.
Big Deal if you get a little wet this is Kayaking, you're supposed to get wet.

Step 3 Equipment Install and Chart Plotting.
Hopefully by now you are 20-30 yards past the surf zone with everything still onboard. Now is the time to put that paddle thingamagig away and install the M-Drive, then Mop Up under the seat with that Home Depot Grout Sponge, and install the fish finder.
- Now you're ready to head off to the most productive, fish infested - enough sushi to choke a horse location called the
( __________ ) this space intensionally left blank.
Explore around a little you'll figure it out.
-----------------------------------------------

The Return - Hopefully w/Fish
So now the party is over and you have secured that 60 lb. WSB to the back of your fishing platform ala Darkhorse style with game clipped head pulled inboard of your rod holder and tail bungied down snug.

-You head in and start wondering. How the hell am I going to pull this off.

One step at a time.
When you are getting close to the surf zone - stop peddling and Prepare the Kayak for Landing
- I remove all hooks and irons, remove the fish finder, all reels, and store them in my dry bag inside the kayak. The gaff goes inside too. Then all the trash, and small gear that I have gets put inside the bait tank (bait goes free).
-Bare Rods get attached to the Paddle Hold cut out on the side of the kayak with the paddle hold bungie. Rod tips are inboard of the Hobie Rod Holders (so they can not catch and break) They ain't going nowhere !
The paddle remains stored as well. -I land on the M-Drive Only.

Release the Rudder cable from the cleat - but hold with firmly in your RT hand.
Inch up to the surf zone and watch the sets. After you see a pattern and a smaller sets comes through - start peddling in. Steer with the rudder as necessary - keep peddling - we don't want to surf here.

Once you are in waist deep water - press the peddles apart and use the bungie hook to secure the peddles in this position (Fins Up against the Hull).
Release the ruddler cable from your Rt hand and step off the kayak - and grab the rear handle. Now walk the Kayak straight to the sand.

Thats what I do.
Most times the 60 lb. WSB is not aboard, but hey even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Good Luck.
Billy V
Old 04-12-2011, 05:55 AM   #15
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=9953

sorry I couldn't resist.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:34 AM   #16
RK

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
Nice one, Dan.

Yeah. Don't ask me how to do a surf landing.
RK is offline   Reply With Quote