Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2016, 08:14 PM   #1
pingpangdang

White seabass similar to mulloway jewfish or kob

Very little info or videos on wsb...compared to mulloway jewfish or kob. Tons of stuff posted from Australia and southAfrica. Very similar fishing techniques used i.e. night, dusk or dawn...tide change...easily spooked from pb...and Australians keep the ear stones a reason why they call them jewfish. Here is a link part 2 of a 3 part segment https://youtu.be/cpXGoPZNOnA

time to study up

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:44 AM   #2
pingpangdang

Bassday range vibe are popular in japan for japanese sea bass. Very versatile metal lure to fish all columns. You can twitch and go on the bottom or retrieve at any depth to find fish. Know if some aussies that have success with them for mulloways that are similar to wsb.

You can slow retrieve and it will still create flutter vibrations.

They have not caught on in the states. The 100es models are heavy and these all metal blades cast well.

I've had luck in Japan catching rockfish and Japanese seabass.uploadfromtaptalk1464623028556.jpguploadfromtaptalk1464623037660.jpg

Old 05-30-2016, 08:20 AM   #3
pingpangdang

Here are some more Japanese lures that were good for seabass. The glow power shads were deadly on a jighead. flexible yet tough plastic. Rapala glass ghosts were great too. to catch japanese seabass I had to go at night. The most successful times were the twohours before and after a peak high tide. Any other time the bass are not present or feeding. Day time high tide was no good either. Sounds like wsb or mulloways are the same way. I'd just waste time fishing for japanese seabass if the window of time was not right. During that plus or minus 2 the schools would come in and I'd usually land fish. I noticed small shad straight tails on a jig head worked well on a slow surface retrieve. uploadfromtaptalk1464625203243.jpguploadfromtaptalk1464625212647.jpguploadfromtaptalk1464625216553.jpguploadfromtaptalk1464625220103.jpguploadfromtaptalk1464625223694.jpg

Old 05-30-2016, 08:24 AM   #4
pingpangdang

Here is a Japanese kasago rockfish. I've caught these with range vibesuploadfromtaptalk1464625480639.jpg

Old 05-30-2016, 08:44 AM   #5
taggermike

Good vid and tutorial. And it looked about as boring as wsb fishing. I wonder if they've tried our balloon float style or fly lining a whole squid back since He was fishing only 5 m of water. Damn nice fish. That was 30 kg, not 30 lb. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:03 AM   #6
pingpangdang

I've seen a couple of videos and read some blogs where they mentioned flylining. Definitely our overseas wsb counterparts...some in Australia even call them ghosts and they are also known to be elusive and a fish many anglers have yet to catch.

I have yet to dedicate the time to strictly try and land one unless I get lucky on a fly line mac. Maybe if the tides line up early in the am before sunrise I'll commit.

It is boring and getting skunked trying makes it worse. Definitely a fish you have to be dedicated to and commit to...

One of these days.....

Old 05-30-2016, 10:40 AM   #7
pingpangdang

Here is an Australian fishing show that can satisfy your fishing fix whenyoucan't hit the water...this episode they catch rat yellowtail, rockfish and a baby mully. I noticed he fly lined and 3 way swiveled squid...also used fin bait much like our spanish macs. https://youtu.be/1-vRIq3oLnk