Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
so cal shaggy

Thank you!

Thank you to everyone that showed up to the meeting today. Once again everyone did a great job with speaking and representing the kayak fishing community with dignity and professionalism. When all of this is said and done whether it be a win, loose or draw our RSG reps appreciate our presence at these meetings, it makes the sacrifices they have made worthwhile to look out into the audience and see us standing as a united front helping them with the fight.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Right on Jeff.

Huge thanks for everyone that turned out. Also a huge thanks to the guys that ceded some time to me so I could get our message through. I am pretty sure it worked this time. We cannot let up. As soon as we do we will lose everything we gained tonight. That means we need even more kayak anglers, all with a unique input at the next meeting. We need some new faces to speak.

Until the next one

edit, because I know some guys asked about it at the meeting tonight:

Quote:
Please note that internet connectivity is, unfortunately, intermittent in the building where the SCRSG meeting is being held. AGP is working to rectify this challenge, but we are pushing forward with the meeting since we have a packed agenda. We will continue videotaping the meeting and will be sure to upload the video as an archive late this evening.

Thank you for your patience and understanding,

The MLPA Initiative
This email was from Kelly, the public outreach coordinator, or as we know the one with endless patience collecting the public comment cards and making sure everyone, on both sides of the issue, is prepared for public comment.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

Last edited by tylerdurden; 08-03-2009 at 08:46 PM.
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
zenspearo

Thank you everyone and you kayakfishermen rock!

Tyler: Amazing presentation. Everyone was paying attention. You scored my friend.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:45 AM   #4
nunyabizness1
Maggie

Very nice presentation Tyler. You definitely had the attention of the crowd!
nunyabizness1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:59 AM   #5
CurtyL

Tyler crushed it and Josh did a nice job too. But I agree with the comments on another post. This is all just theater. Elaborate theater masking as science, but theater nonetheless. The decsions are being made with or without pubic coment and possibly even true Stakeholder buy-in (I guess the workgroups will soon show their true colors) This one will get away from us for sure, the question is just how far. My guess is that between the three surviving maps, Ext A and Lapis 1 will cancel eachother out and Topaz 1 - or some version of it - will be the "meet in the middle" that was discussed so often yesterday. Great showing by the fishing contingent though. I'm exploring new launch sites this weekend.
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtyL View Post
...This is all just theater. Elaborate theater masking as science, but theater nonetheless... My guess is that between the three surviving maps, Ext A and Lapis 1 will cancel eachother out and Topaz 1 - or some version of it - will be the "meet in the middle" that was discussed so often yesterday...
I really hope you are wrong...but like you I have serious doubts. My greatest hope is based on the precedent set in the region already finished. The only thing that made any difference was massive angler turnout at the end. We got involved a little earlier, so maybe we will get better results. The proof will be in the maps presented. After talking to some of the more pro closure orgs reps in the lobby, I feel better even about Lapis 1 and kayakers. Whether it was all just lip service will be sorted out when we see the maps.

No matter how its sorted out Lapis 1 will be the worst for fishermen in general, as they will try and get it to the preferred SAT guidelines. The guidelines, and other constrainents such as Navy usage and outfall pipes really limit where MPA's can and can't go, leaving them few options to meet the guidelines. I too think what comes out of Topaz may be the BRTF preferred map. I was hoping my presentation would really get the middle ground or even proclosure people to take it easy on kayak spots.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Tyler, your presentation was excellent. You really had a clear, concise message and it was well-delivered. Being one of the early speakers also helped. The room was still packed and everybody was paying attention. I looked around the room and even the "blue shirts" seemed to be interested in what you were saying. Good job.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
fryguy

Is there a video of the meeting available for public viewing. I really wanted to see Tyler's presentation, but could hardly make out what was said or the presented because of a shitty spot in the room and all the commotion. I checked the MLPA website and could not find it.

Also, on a different note, can someone explain SMCAs to me. Does anyone have any information on what type of fishing may be allowed in these areas? I'm big on fishing south LJ kelp near tourmaline, and Topaz currently suggests an SMCA for this area. I know the map is a work in progress, but if anyone has any input on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by fryguy; 08-04-2009 at 02:45 PM.
fryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:23 PM   #9
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Penguinpower (bing) posted a link to the video archive of the meeting and public commentary complete with timestamps of notable events.

fryguy, every single SMCA is different. You can go to the link here:
http://marinemap.org/marinemap/
and use that to check the boundaries of each proposed reserve. You can click on each individual SMCA. Some may as well be red SMR's with no recreational fishing allowed. Others allow pelagic take only (yt, wsb, thresher), and others such as the one currently near the Scripps pier only ban invert take, so no lobster can be taken, but anything else is fair game.

Here is the allowed take from the Topaz SMCA near the tourmaline area.

Allowed Uses
Target Method Use Type
Lobster Trap commercial
Lobster Diving recreational
Urchin Diving commercial
Urchin Diving recreational

Old 08-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #10
so cal shaggy

Here is a link to all meetings both previous and present http://www.cal-span.org/cgi-bin/media.pl?folder=MLPA-BRTF&folder=MLPA-CCRSG&folder=MLPA-SAT&folder=MLPA-SW&folder=CFG-MLPAJoint;folder=MLPA-NCCRSG;folder=MLPA-SCRSG
they are archived by date and separated by type of meeting it was.

Here is a link to youtube with a comprehensive explanation (simply explained) about the whole process including all of the acronyms and what they mean and what can be done in that area http://www.youtube.com/user/mlpainfo
Old 08-04-2009, 03:32 PM   #11
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Tyler, major props, well done! I couldn't hear yesterday, because of the crowd, but watching the video, you did very well!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #12
kurt

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #13
steamroll

Tyler you rock! Excellent job.

It was very encouraging to see the big turnout of kayak anglers and others.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #14
zinkysd
Hobie Fishing Team

It was great to see some of you at the meeting yesterday and thank you for showing up. For those of you who missed it Tyler had an awsome slide presentation and I was glad to cede my time to him. It was a great showing for us kayak anglers with to many to count stepping to the mike and giving there reasons to keep the ocean open to fishing. The best part for me was when Maggie asked for all that fished to stand up and 3/4 of the room got up . I've never have been so proud to call myself a Kayak fisherman. Big ups to everyone.

Ken
zinkysd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #15
undrH2Ohntr

Agreed, I was there representing the spearo's and of course the LJ shores crowd. Tyler your pres. kicked ass, thanks. The kayak turnout was amazing.
undrH2Ohntr is offline   Reply With Quote