Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
socal_matt
Cruisin'

Newport 6/29

Decided to get out of the house this morning at around 730 and see what felt like biting what I had to offer. The plan was to catch some macks and drift the edge of the kelp with a trap rig with the mack, but I couldn't find any mackerel this morning. Also, what didn't help was my FF deciding not to work this morning which made fishing a bit more difficult. So, my friend and I ended up fishing the kelp off of CDM, he was using squid which only got him a small calico. I was using shrimp which landed me a small calico and two perch, then my friend had to leave early. After that, I continued south to the beginning of Crystal Cove which produced 2 sheephead, both were just short. Then I found a school a smelt at around 1030, caught a couple smelt and used them for bait. Within the first 30 min of dragging the trap rig, I got some action yielding a 13" sandbass but that was it. The rest of my drifts were completely dead. I couldn't go to plan B, which was the all so trustworthy rockfish, since my FF wasn't working. So I called it a day at 1 pm.

Oh ya, forgot to mention it was extremely foggy when I first got out there. The first picture shows my view of the shore, or lack there of. Mind you, I was somewhere between 200-300 yards from shore. Also, sorry about the poor picture quality, there was some moisture on the lense plus its from a crappy phone camera.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
yakety-yak
D-T-B

not bad, especially considering you were fishing in the dark. did you find out what was the problem with the FF? last time mine crapped out i unplugged and replugged all the wires and voila! it worked

Last edited by yakety-yak; 06-30-2013 at 08:54 AM.
yakety-yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

thanks for the intel. it seems like catching bait outside of newport is nearly impossible now.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
socal_matt
Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakety-yak View Post
did you find out what was the problem with the FF? last time mine crapped out i unplugged and replugged all the wires and voila! it worked
Usually I unplug and plug it in again and it works, but this time it didn't. I found that some moisture got in the battery pack and basically corroded all the metal inside of it. Its not an expensive fix at all, it will only cost like a $1.50. I think I'll be taking out the batteries after every trip for now and letting the pack air out.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
Amish Ed

Good job making it work without the FF. Did you try the boilers when you were inside?