Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
SALDEBO
Junior

New to kayaking need some advice

Hi I am fairly new to kayaking since I moved to California. I live in west LA and have a 9.5ft hobie kayak. I usually go out to the marina every weekend. Was wondering what kind of lures people usually use for halibut on a kayak, I have caught them off the piers but nothing big in my kayak yet. Any recommendations for good kayak fishing locations for a beginner?
SALDEBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
MrM

I use live bait for 'butts- They seem to enjoy the real deal more than plastic in my experience.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALDEBO View Post
Hi I am fairly new to kayaking since I moved to California. I live in west LA and have a 9.5ft hobie kayak. I usually go out to the marina every weekend. Was wondering what kind of lures people usually use for halibut on a kayak, I have caught them off the piers but nothing big in my kayak yet. Any recommendations for good kayak fishing locations for a beginner?
I would recommend you start out at cabrillo beach. You should also invest in a bait tank or bait tube anything to keep your bait alive. You can use lures to catch halibut, many large halibut have been taken on lures but your best bet in my opinion would be to use live bait, mainly sardines. Invest in a decent fish finder, halibut as well as any other fish are structure oriented, so find the structure....find the fish! (hopefully). Put in your time! Don't expect to have instant results, although it does happen from time to time, don't expect it. The fish will come!

Cabrillo offers a very easy launch, calm waters, bait barge $10 kayak scoop, and at times lota halibut! Watch out for the afternoon winds!

Good luck out there!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
SALDEBO
Junior

Cool. I'll head over this weekend. And I'll try and pickup a bait tank before the weekend . Do you guys troll the bait ?
SALDEBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
finyak

Type in Hailbut rig in your browser.
finyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALDEBO View Post
Cool. I'll head over this weekend. And I'll try and pickup a bait tank before the weekend . Do you guys troll the bait ?

Slow troll or drift.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote