Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
KatFish

Caviar!?! Not kayak related

So I just bought a 2oz jar of caviar at sprouts it was $11.99 I just wanted to see what it tasted like. So I tried a little OMG is so fishy! Is it normal or did I just get too cheep of it. It's the only kind they have. Is all caviar super fishy I thought it would be more salty. Granted I eat A LOT of salt! And yes people I know it's fish eggs!!!!!
KatFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
sasha

Some caviar would have more of fishy flavor then other. Alot depands on the fish and how it was preped.. I noticed that caviar would have a much stronger flavor if its not as fresh. How did you eat it???
Try some black Russian bread with rich butter, Spread the caviar thin and enjoy. Another way i like it is instead of butter try sour cream.. Yep us Russians know how to eat caviar.. Make some good caviar too if we get some good fish.
Grunoin (sp) make some real good caviar if you get enough of them.. not fishy at all..
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
maui jim

You need to wash it down with some good Vodka.......and add some Sarachai...
Old 09-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
robmandel

Caviar is like champagne. It's a specific specific item and yet is used in a generic sense. Champagne must come from the champagne region of france and even them from certain regions and what not. Yet you can buy lots of different bottles of "champagne" which is nothing even close. It's cheap fizzy wine.

Caviar must come from a specific sturgeon onl in Russia or even more purist from an osetra and processed in a very specific manner. Etc etc. stuff is majorly expensive. Probably 10-20 times what you paid.

You got fish eggs. From??? Maybe salmon. Maybe largemouth bass . And probably cured on the cheap.

Either way caviar still sucks. Even the "good stuff"
Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
old_rookie

When I was a kid, dad would serve us caviar for special occasions. He would toast regular white bread, spread a thin mayo, and then a thin layer of the eggs. Had no problem eating it, but as others mentioned, the quality matters - no idea where he got it.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
sasha

Salmon eggs are good but yes they do taste diffrent. There is place where my mom buy it from and its finger licking good. But you go and buy it at another place and its way too salty and the texture is just not right. You need to know what and where you buy it at.... Show me some good fishing spots and help me to finaly catch something and I would bring you some caviar for breakfast before we hit the water how is that for a fair trade ... Not everyone likes it, But many people never tried the good stuff.. My dad showed me how he process the caviar and he makes it just right.. Some fish no matter how you make it. It would never taste good. Try some real black caviar and you know what everyone is talking about.. Just mind you if you don't know where to buy it you would get some cheap caviar that was coverd in black food paint to make it look black and they would sell it to you at a cut rate price so you think you got a deal..
I do love the salmon eggs that are done right for breakfast on a bagel with a cup of black tea,..... Its heaven

Hey Jim I think you been hanging around too many Russians... Before you know you would have some sala on a tost for breakfast
Old 09-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #7
RockyRaab

Yes indeed, you need only one taste of the genuine stuff to understand what all the hoopla is about. But that one taste will spoil you forever; the cheap stuff will taste like swill. You won't often be spending a hundred bucks for a snack, but once in a while, it is absolutely worth it.

The pinhead-sized stuff sold as caviar is probably whitefish roe. Real caviar is buckshot to green pea-size, a rich translucent gray-black, and moderately salty.
RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:40 AM   #8
mtnbykr2

caviar....ooohhhh"well were movin on up, to the east side"...
Old 09-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
KatFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaab View Post
Yes indeed, you need only one taste of the genuine stuff to understand what all the hoopla is about. But that one taste will spoil you forever; the cheap stuff will taste like swill. You won't often be spending a hundred bucks for a snack, but once in a while, it is absolutely worth it.

The pinhead-sized stuff sold as caviar is probably whitefish roe. Real caviar is buckshot to green pea-size, a rich translucent gray-black, and moderately salty.
Yes it says whitefish on it! Okay now I know ha ha that shit was nasty but I still one day I wanna try the good stuff😉 I also went and bought Vegemite yesterday that wasn't as bad as I thought tasted way better then the caviar lol sometimes I wonder what stuff tastes like but some stuff I'd never put in my mouth like cream cheese, whip cream, and jello I'll barf! Still need to taste YT, WSB, abalone, escargot! I have eaten mackerel shushi style at todai it tasted like it smells NASTY! But I like skulpin, flounder, halibut, catfish, baracuda, all kinds of bass just not spotties. I don't like trout, salmon, and another one forgot the name they sell it at blue water seafood I had it in a taco it's a fatty fish.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #10
KatFish

Now I know escolar fish taco the meat if kinda fatty not my cup of tea!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:40 AM   #11
RockyRaab

You have my condolences - nay, my pity. You are missing some of the finest things on earth.

There isn't anything edible that I won't try, and I've liked almost everything I've ever tried. That includes some VERY odd stuff in Vietnam...
Old 09-14-2012, 06:56 AM   #12
maui jim

OK.. Heres is my favorite "Beef Sweetbreads".......mmmmmmmmmmmm.
Cooked over Oak BBQ Santa Maria Pit.. Hard to find in here in So.Cal but easy to fine in the Central Coast..

like bacon on steroids..... sure beats fish eggs...
Old 09-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #13
sasha

KateFish,,, You are lucky you don't live with me lol.. I got a rule about food. You can't say no untill you try it. If you still don't like it then spit it out. But you must try it. For you one of the first things would be bagel with good cream cheese and LUX, Topped with a fresh garden grown tomato. You are of the finicky eaters .... If you just knew how many people won't eat food and they never even tried it. Then when they do try it, They change there mind 180deg. White fish caviar is one of the cheapest out there. It has its place but its not what you give someone to impress them thats for sure..
Old 09-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #14
RockyRaab

I'd hand him a bagel with cream cheese, lox (correct spelling) and a few capers. A few million bar mitzvah schmoozers can't all be wrong, LOL!
Old 09-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #15
T-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatFish View Post
So I just bought a 2oz jar of caviar at sprouts it was $11.99 I just wanted to see what it tasted like. So I tried a little OMG is so fishy! Is it normal or did I just get too cheep of it. It's the only kind they have. Is all caviar super fishy I thought it would be more salty. Granted I eat A LOT of salt! And yes people I know it's fish eggs!!!!!
Whitefish caviar is not really that good. If you want to try some tastier fish eggs and related stuff, check out the Catalina Offshore Products website (the folks who make uni butter). They regularly carry flying fish, smelt and salmon eggs and related stuff for the sashimi/sushi trade. I think you'll find a huge difference between their products and low end caviar that's been heavily salted sitting in a jar for 6 months.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #16
KatFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
Whitefish caviar is not really that good. If you want to try some tastier fish eggs and related stuff, check out the Catalina Offshore Products website (the folks who make uni butter). They regularly carry flying fish, smelt and salmon eggs and related stuff for the sashimi/sushi trade. I think you'll find a huge difference between their products and low end caviar that's been heavily salted sitting in a jar for 6 months.
I love me some bacon guys! I would/will try another brand I made the kid try it too lol I'll use the rest for bait somehow! Tonight I'm trying lamb for the first time. I love it when the hubby cooks!! Tonight especially because it's so dang hot!