Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 03:18 PM   #1
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Another idiot, another BSB gone....

http://www.cbs8.com/stories/story.93061.html#

Somebody make sure every diver, fisherer, everybody, reads this and keeps in mind these facts:
1. If the fish appears friendly, there's a reason.
2. If you don't know what it is, don't fookin' kill it.
3. If you get caught, punishment will be an eye for an eye.

Hey Chris, someone shootin fish in your hood? Take him out....

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:07 PM   #2
jan10121

This is something I posted on another kayak fishing board. This is only my opinion, but it reflects how I feel about this sad incident.

Hi all,

While I'm new here on this board (and new to the area period--being that I just moved to San Diego/Poway only a few weeks ago), let me offer this perspective. I've been a spearfisherman for over 10 years, and a kayaker even longer--a veteran of many week-long expeditions, including quite a few with Ed Gillett (of Hawaii kayak crossing fame, when he was still running Southwest Kayaks). I also kayak fish, but not as much as I do spearing from kayaks.

I realize that this incident is making all spearfishers look bad, and although I, as a spearo, may be the last person you want to hear from, I'd like to offer my view nevertheless.

While I'm only speaking for my ineloquent self, what I observe is that this incident is causing huge concern and outrage among spearfishers. This is reported on a number of threads on some spearfishing boards

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=47349

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=47412&page=1&pp=15

Every single spearfisherman I know wants nothing more than for this guy to get caught. What he did was reprehensible, and no responsible spearo condone or tolerate this behavior.

The current trend in the spearo community and the attitude of the vast majority of spearos I know is to practice restraint in our spearing. We do it when we are by ourselves, and we especially practice restraint when diving with others due to peer pressure. Many of us spend the whole day diving not taking a fish, bypassing fish-after-fish as we simply enjoy our day in the water with friends while searching for the right type of fish, with the right size (not necessarily or alway have to be the largest).

We know how fisherman, spearing or hook&line, are under attack for the love of our sport and this incident does not help. I want, as much as you do, for this guy to get caught and be punished. He hurts us all.

Finally, I hope the OP reports this incident to DFG and they can bring this guy to justice. That's something I believe all spearos and kayakfishers want as well.

Joe in Poway.
jan10121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
madscientist

I might be less inclined to generalize if I wasn't getting buzzed by spearo's constantly. For guys that are intimately familiar with fish behavior, you'd think they'd have more of a clue. Not surprised in the least, and I'm amazed they don't shoot each other more often.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:03 AM   #4
Brian Sanner

I don't know the rules about spear fishing, can anyone just go out and buy a spear gun? It's obvious that brains are not a requirement to operate one and sad to see that there are guys out there weilding these things that are not able to I.D. what it is they are shooting at. I agree with M.S., and am amazed as well that they don't shoot themselves more often. I know there are guys on this board that spear fish and are very competant, have enough intelligence, and are responsable for their actions. It only takes one or two bad apples to ruin it for the whole bunch.
Brian Sanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:36 AM   #5
jan10121

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
I might be less inclined to generalize if I wasn't getting buzzed by spearo's constantly. For guys that are intimately familiar with fish behavior, you'd think they'd have more of a clue. Not surprised in the least, and I'm amazed they don't shoot each other more often.
Yes, I hope you don't generalize. While I don't speak for all spearos, having come here to share my own disgust at this incident, please understand that as a I spearo, I have but one breath to dive at a time. As such, I like/need to stay away from others since my only chance of approaching fish as a clumsy human underwater is to stay quiet and stealthy and that means away from top-side commotion and any activity that alarms the fish.

I don't want to minimize what you said but the spearo who buzzes you is being counterproductive to himself. It's not a behavior that is conducive to getting fish as spearos. Heck, I wouldn't want him near me.

On the flipside of the coin, I've been approached by kayakfishers many times while diving since they want to ask about structure and fish at the bottom, and I am always glad to share information. Some times, I come up and a kayakfisher would be right there topside, having come over to ask a question, and I'll say what I have or have not seen and the bait is/is not agitated, etc. Usually, we then go back to our own activites and I don't view that as buzzing--simply two sportsmen sharing the same love of the sport.

Getting buzzed by PBers--now that we all get, whether kayakfishers or divers.
jan10121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:22 AM   #6
madscientist

I have several spearo and wannabe spearo friends that I know are conscientious not only of the fish but the other anglers out there. It just seemed this spring was particularly bad for zodiacs screaming through the kelp to get to their dive spots, regardless of the kayaks trying to quietly work the area.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #7
Huntersmoon

It is a bad thing not just for spearfishers, but all people fishing the area. Sorry those morons have been buzzing you, it is very couterproductive to all of us, and always gets me pissed seeing guys driving thru the kelp having no idea there are recreational divers nearby. I know of some divers who have had near misses and some injured from motor boats passing too close and getting float lines tangled. I would prefer to dive around an armada of kayaks rather than one powerboat. I've seen alot of BSB diving, you can often get close enough to see the assortment of fish hooks in their lips...makes them look badass!
Unfortunately common sense is not a requirement when operating boats, spearguns or Seaforth cattle boats.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Good comments, and yes this hurts us all.
Unfortunately, this genius attempted to spear not only a protected species, but a fish well over 100 pounds with a Hawaiian sling.....
I used to free dive quite a bit and the one glaring thing that always stood out was the ignorance of others in the water, not being able to ID fish, no experience, among other things.
When these wanna be Cousteaus were ruining it for me, I would just say, hey, see the size of that shark? Always got them out of my zone...
Hope they find this clown and NOT just slap him on the wrist...ban him from all ocean activity.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #9
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Yeah. I don't have as many hours OTW as Tyler, Brad, Andy and the likes so I haven't had too many issues with spearos. For the most part, they've been pretty cool. Everyone has their 10% wether it be kayaks, spearos, or PBers (although the percentage is a few points higher with PBers). This, in my opinion, just gives Sacramento more of a reason to shutdown angling in LJ (like they need any anyway). This happened a few years back and people are still talking about it.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #10
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

I'd hate to be in the water, or on top of the water around that moron....! Most of the guys on spearboard seem responsible and rightfully pissed at this diver. I think this guy is just an isolated idiot, like the kind that exist in any sport, or activity....
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:39 PM   #11
bluesquids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman View Post
with a Hawaiian sling.....
Where is the source of this infomation? The photos of the BSB in the water off WindnSea had a clear mono Shooting line. Not a freeshafted Hawaiian sling spear. The news is also mixing the wheelbarrow footage of the '05 incident for added shock value.
Either way PETA is gonna have a field day with this one.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:53 PM   #12
Brian Sanner

Maybe it is PETA., or another organization interrested in shutting the coast down to fishing. Think about it,.....it would be a great way for them to start a firestorm of resentment for the coastal fisherie in La Jolla and provide them with the ammunition to shut down fishing in LJ to all. With all the crap that has gone on with this issue I wouldn't be surprised if it were the case. Either way it is one step forward, two steps back and generally all around bad for all.
Brian Sanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:51 PM   #13
tptrench

lifeguards ate it!!!!

The hero lifeguards who claimed to have put this beautiful animal "to rest" at sea ate the thing!!!
tptrench is offline   Reply With Quote