Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
raffman55

La Jolla Sunday Ghost Sighting

Took my son for his first LJ venture, met up with Ms. Maggie and made it through a dry launch at 7:30. Made our way to the pier, found some small greenies, took a dozen and began the slow troll west. Spent the first couple hours dodging knotheads, decided to head to the point. Never made it. Nearly straight out from the launch Maggie is on, after a few minutes and screams, she boats her first yellow, her story. Minutes later, my spinning gear goes off, wait, stops, goes again, I'm on! Fish was pulling like a train, just hoping it wasn't a Thresher like Maggie caught 2 weeks ago. After a while it tired enough to bring to color, Yikes!! A nice WSB!! After a bit of work and oneheckuva' adrenaline rush, I boat my first ghost, and personal best fish. Measured 51", weighed in at 36 plus. Stoked was not the word, so jazzed that my son was there to see this. Now to get one for him. Yanni was nice enough to take some shore pics, Mag has some OTW ones. She had to make a quick exit after finding a used sabiki embedded in one of her toes, emergency room visit for her. Bad ending to a great morning, hope all works out with the toe. Again, I'll be your wingman anytime, Tom
Old 06-10-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
ski

Congrts Cant wait to see the pics!
ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:40 PM   #3
nunyabizness1
Maggie

Hooked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffman55 View Post
Took my son for his first LJ venture, met up with Ms. Maggie and made it through a dry launch at 7:30. Made our way to the pier, found some small greenies, took a dozen and began the slow troll west. Spent the first couple hours dodging knotheads, decided to head to the point. Never made it. Nearly straight out from the launch Maggie is on, after a few minutes and screams, she boats her first yellow, her story. Minutes later, my spinning gear goes off, wait, stops, goes again, I'm on! Fish was pulling like a train, just hoping it wasn't a Thresher like Maggie caught 2 weeks ago. After a while it tired enough to bring to color, Yikes!! A nice WSB!! After a bit of work and oneheckuva' adrenaline rush, I boat my first ghost, and personal best fish. Measured 51", weighed in at 36 plus. Stoked was not the word, so jazzed thaty son was there to see this. Now to get one for him. Yanni was nice enough to take some shore pics, Mag has some OTW ones. She had to make a quick exit after finding a used sabiki embedded in one of her toes, emergency room visit for her. Bad ending to a great morning, hope all works out with the toe. Again, I'll be your wingman anytime, Tom
When they told me that I'd get hooked on fishing, I had no idea they meant literally! Yes, I got hooked by a sabiki hook that was wadded up on the beach. It got me good and had to have my toe cut open a bit to get at it! Two shots to the toe to numb it and 3 attempts and cuts to get it out, one tetnus shot and one nauseaous 17 yr old daughter who drove me there! Had a cracked windshield when I got to my car at the beach and my waterproof cell phone holder did not work. New phone this week! Well at least I finally caught my first yellowtail and that was very cool and it was great to see Tom catching his personal best WSB as well! My yellowtail measured 31" long and I learned how to filet it with the new knife from Noah's bought just yesterday! Grilled it up tonight and it was yummy!

Great time on the water, conditions out there were like glass. Tom referred to it as "Lake La Jolla". Easy launch, stayed dry and then I caught a nice wave on the return and rolled. Fun times!

Caught the yellow on live mack and with the help of the Great Gaffster Tom who gaffed it and loaded the YT onto my yak. Thanks Tom! Can't wait to get out there and try again. Ok, maybe in 2 weeks... once I recover from this trip! Posting pics below:
Attached Images

nunyabizness1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:41 AM   #4
Matt
Support your local pangas

Sorry your toe got jacked, but nice pics and great job out there!!!
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:18 AM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

Congrats to both and welcome to BWE! One of my first kayak trips ended with a tetanus shot as I stepped on a rusty nail
Old 06-11-2007, 01:28 PM   #6
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
One of my first kayak trips ended with a tetanus shot as I stepped on a rusty nail
Tetanus shots are a crutch. I never minded lockjaw, it keeps me from saying anything stupid.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:39 AM   #7
Spyder

Congrats to both of you on a couple great feesh!
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:34 PM   #8
Guyak

Awesome fish! In February I was walking down to the launch site to show my wife were we head out. We walked from the street and I went barefoot. The wife asked if I was going to wear my shoes and I replied, "Nope, I have feet of steel!" (Famous last words)

10 steps onto the sand I step on a bee! Next thing I know my ankle's the size of a softball and our day without the kids was cut short

Maggie do you paddle a grey X Factor? I think I saw you out there and you said hi about 3 weeks ago. I have to say everyone out there has been really cool. Great community.
Guyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:56 PM   #9
nunyabizness1
Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyak View Post
Awesome fish! In February I was walking down to the launch site to show my wife were we head out. We walked from the street and I went barefoot. The wife asked if I was going to wear my shoes and I replied, "Nope, I have feet of steel!" (Famous last words)

10 steps onto the sand I step on a bee! Next thing I know my ankle's the size of a softball and our day without the kids was cut short

Maggie do you paddle a grey X Factor? I think I saw you out there and you said hi about 3 weeks ago. I have to say everyone out there has been really cool. Great community.

Yes, that would have been me! I love going out there on my yak! It's both exciting and intimidating at the same time. Everyone I meet there is pretty nice too! It's fun to come in and share experiences with others out there doing the same thing. Say hi next time you see me out there! Be careful walking barefoot out there too! I had just removed my water shoes 2 minutes before stepping on the hooks! I know about those bee stings too! Am allergic myself!

Take care and thanks for the messages all!

Maggie
Old 06-23-2007, 09:15 AM   #10
JrBasser

Mag, my mom called me on the phone to give me the update on shore (mostly give me sh*t about not having caught anything and everyone else landed having whites and yellowslol ) and told me a lady in a grey x-factor had come in with a thresher; musta been you. Good going, you beat me to the yak yellow :-( Thats a toad WSB too!
JrBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:37 PM   #11
nunyabizness1
Maggie

Mr. T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrBasser View Post
Mag, my mom called me on the phone to give me the update on shore (mostly give me sh*t about not having caught anything and everyone else landed having whites and yellowslol ) and told me a lady in a grey x-factor had come in with a thresher; musta been you. Good going, you beat me to the yak yellow :-( Thats a toad WSB too!

I caught a thresher in my yak at La Jolla and Raffman was my gaffman for that fish too. Caught it straight out in front of the pier on a mack. Took me about 30 minutes to bring it in after taking me for a ride across the water. What a fun time that was! Scary AND exciting but very fun! We had a crowd of people on the beach taking pictures and asking questions. I hope to have some luck out there again! I need to learn more about my reel and setting the drag and need to work on my knot tying to get better at that so I don't lose a fish due to lack of experience.

I'm hoping for a big white sea bass on my next trip like the one Raffman has in his picture!

Good times!