Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Paying my Dues and Taxes in LJ 9-9-12

Launched out of La Jolla yesterday with a buddy at 7:45. I got there and was shocked to see giant waves 4-6 feet in the surf. No Problem I just bought leashes for everything and was ready for the challenge. I timed the sets perfectly (pure luck) and paddled out as fast as I could. Hit the first wave right before it crashed and up I went and straight back down perfect landing. I thought this was awesome as it felt the rush similar to a roller coaster ride as I got mad air about 4 times in a row. Completely soaked but happy I didn’t get tossed in the drink!

Anyhow I look back for my buddy and seen he got stopped by the lifeguard as apparently the launch was closed due to some swim event and shortly after was called back in over the intercom by the lifeguard. Worst news ever as I now had to turn around and land my yak in the giant surf I just defeated. To make a long story short I lost. Flipped my yak and into the drink I was. My buddy helped me recover the Yak but realized I snapped one of my Rods. I thought oh well it was for my Sabiki anyway.

Stuck on shore got packed up and seen another BWE member paddle in with the right kind, followed by another one. Yup their biting (2 Yellows) and another with a nice size Halibut. Damn! Well I found out we can launch to the left of the children’s pool as an alternative so off we went.

To cut to the chase we packed up, parked, launched and paddled out to the grounds. I get there drop in my sabiki with my broken rod and instantly hook up 2 squids I was super excited as this is my first time I ever made squid. I pulled em out the water and they start squirting everywhere I said oh shit I wasn’t ready for that so I dropped em back down as I opened my bait tank only to bring them back up and they got devoured by 2 giant green macks. Oh well I settled for the macks and they rocked my sabicki . No worries I start untangling it pulled a little too hard and Damn again I got one of the hooks buried in my hand! Far enough were I couldn’t get it out! Damn I happened to be close enough to a PBer who kindly let me burrow his Pliers as I somehow forgot mine. About 10 mins later bloody hand but problem solved and back to fishing I was with fresh bait.

Unfortunately I didn’t catch anything but ended up feeding the seals. My Sabiki was destroyed so time to paddle back in after an hour of some dropper loop dead squid action for nothing. So rough landing as I almost got rocked again but made it this time only to realize my broken rod with my shimano torium 20 somehow was gone with just the leash attached to my yak. I somehow failed to leash it down right.

Oh well I will chalk the day up as a loss and time spent on the water! Had a great day thou despite the hook in my hand and paying my taxes. However the fish are still biting! And if anyone finds a Torium 20 attached to a broken rod Id gladly take it back!

So my only ? is I never made squid before and didn’t realize they squirt everywhere so What do you guys do to not get squirted and once I take the squid off the sabiki what is the proper way to hook them as I was planning on flylining 1 and using the dropper loop on another?
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

wow! Quite the day! And thanks for the report, as i had no idea the surf was that big.... THANKS!

As for squid, I pull them out of the water and let them squirt twice, then drop in my kayak. Sure I still get squirted every so often, but less and less now.

Sounds like you have the right attitude!

seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

man, that was almost depressing to read...

as for the squirts, just pull the whole saliki out of the water and let them explode all over themselves. once they go flat you can grab them and throw them in the bait tank, bucket, gatorade bottle, whatever you have. i like the lobster bags. hang it over the side and they stay alive, easy access and no inked up water.

edit: you should have just kept paddling when the LG was calling you back. lol
Old 09-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
kantstudien

Wow, sounds like one of those days where you wish you stayed in bed!

Good learning lessons though, you'll be more prepared next time!
kantstudien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

hah! Great tip on the lobster bag.... that and a bait tube.... then no need for full bait tank.
seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
skrilla

Ah so you guys were able to paddle out after all. Right on! Bummer on the tackle follies but that's part of the learning curve.

As for squid... I like to lift em up just barely above the water and let them squirt. Then when they're shooting blanks bring em on board. To hook em go twice through the mantle. Between the wings is fine. Make sure they're straight and not bunched up.

Nice to meet you guys. Thanks again for keeping an eye on my stuff. Will do the same when you guys haul yours in.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
tacmik

Never knew you could launch to the left of children's pool. How was the take off and landing there and how did you access it. Sounds like you can save a lot of time launching from there.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
Hellboy1500

Sounds like you need to link up with my wife and go out the two of you would have a killer time and an awesome repor when you get back. I thought I was readi g one of her adventures. On another note glad you weren't hurt in the tumble and sorry you lost your gear but still sounded like a great time on the water. Nice post
Hellboy1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #9
909mario
Junior

Launching to the left of Childrens Pool is not that bad, the hard part is carrying your kayak down to the sand. But with two people it can b
e done easily.
909mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
h2ofishfo

Red face

Holy crap batman that was a bad day if I ever heard one don't bet on anything for a month and stay away from any machinery . And live in a plastic bubble u have good spirits when your only question is worrying about squid ink don't worry your due after that day
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:45 AM   #11
KatFish

Wow sounded like an amazing day lol I've gotten 3 new poles in the past two months! I think the hubby's ready to dump his side kick cuz I'm costing him so much money😜 I love that I'm not the only sad story but I'm sure this was a fluke kind of day. (Probably)won't happen again! I say I'm learning from my mistakes but they keep reappearing and it's exhausting....La Jolla gives me
SUPER bad anxiety I have to use the 🚽everytime I get there😢
KatFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:11 AM   #12
maui jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909mario View Post
Launching to the left of Childrens Pool is not that bad, the hard part is carrying your kayak down to the sand. But with two people it can b
e done easily.
What happened to the "Friendly Seal Lady" ????

I use to enjoy her babbilings......I sure she would have guided you to the proper area....
Old 09-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #13
oneyedeer

"What do you guys do to not get squirted?"

I will ask the gf and get back to you
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:57 AM   #14
KatFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneyedeer View Post
"What do you guys do to not get squirted?"

I will ask the gf and get back to you
Now you know half these guys have NO clue what your talking about.....haha
KatFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #15
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatFish View Post
She just went there ...
Old 09-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #16
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
the left side of the children's pool or the beach to the left/south of childrens pool?
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #17
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man in the Sea View Post
the left side of the children's pool or the beach to the left/south of childrens pool?
We ended up launching down the stairs directly left of the lifeguard tower. The paddle actually wasn't so bad it actually seemed a lot closer to the fishing grounds as you launch further out. However we got lucky and had a prime spot to unload and load it wouldn't be possible thou without someone to help you carry your yak up and down the stairs. My buddy said he actually preferred that launch than Avenida De La Playa but I kind of like Avenida De La Playa better!
Its good to know theirs an alternative thou we almost turned back after initially getting turned down at the ramp.

Thanks everyone for the tips on the squid Im looking for more of something positive to report next time!
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:18 AM   #18
Jg Gonzo
Junior

Talking

[QUOTE=ROBMONEY;132829]We ended up launching down the stairs directly left of the lifeguard tower. The paddle actually wasn't so bad it actually seemed a lot closer to the fishing grounds as you launch further out. However we got lucky and had a prime spot to unload and load it wouldn't be possible thou without someone to help you carry your yak up and down the stairs. My buddy said he actually preferred that launch than Avenida De La Playa but I kind of like Avenida De La Playa better!
Its good to know theirs an alternative thou we almost turned back after initially getting turned down at the ramp.

Thanks everyone for the tips on the squid Im looking for more of something positive to report next time![/QUOTE
Jg Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:25 AM   #19
Jg Gonzo
Junior

All good lol

Nephew, man o man must say it good to hear that i'm not the only one to flip over in a kayak, I'm still hurting lol Thank God! your ok no guts no glory...
Jg Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #20
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBMONEY View Post
What do you guys do to not get squirted?
That's what she said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatFish View Post

That's literally what she said.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote