Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
BBrown

Totally Lost it.

Greetings All,

As a rookie on both the board and they kayak, I have found a great amount of information on this site and am very appreciative. With that said, there is nothing like experience to teach us how to do things the right way.

Went out to La Jolla for only my second trip in my kayak. The surf probably wasn't much for the old salts who frequent that particular locale, however, while attempting to launch, I totally lost it, went sideways on a wave and flipped.lol

Was able to recover all my equipment except my Shimano rig. I lost a Shimano Crucial swimbait rod for 5" - 8" swimbaits. It was coupled with a Shimano Calcutta 400 reel. If anyone happens to find it, please let me know. I would really like to have that rig back since I use it for freshwater bass fishing as well.

After recovering from my bonehead move, I continued out to the first bouy, made bait rather quickly and was off to the kelp. Drifted and trolled until around 8:00 with a fly lined mackerel without a bite.

Hope you all did better.

Stay Bent -
BBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
GBF

Stow the gear was drilled into my head by Master Corey!! Calcutta 400 OUCH!! Experience on the water will go a long was and this website is a great resource for info. Went out, made bait and fished.........a great day as I see it. Better than being in the office. Nice going!!

GBF
Old 06-28-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
madscientist

Sorry to hear about the lost gear. The surf has been kind of punchy these last couple of days. Not real big but short interval makes it hard to find a window and if you mistime or get a kilter, you can get pounded in short order. Supposed to build into the weekend, should make for some good tourist wipeout entertainment.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:17 PM   #4
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

What it the general wave...uh..group?? (for lack of a better word) I've was told a while back that it's a 3 set deal with 4 waves in a set and the last two being the biggest in each set... Sounds confusing. Anybody here really know?
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
dorado50

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbrinkman View Post
What it the general wave...uh..group?? (for lack of a better word) I've was told a while back that it's a 3 set deal with 4 waves in a set and the last two being the biggest in each set... Sounds confusing. Anybody here really know?
Don't confuse yourself! There are no "general rules" about the ocean. The above statement is total BS. If one can predict that , than that person has control over nature." Expect the unexpected" Always be vigliant.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbrinkman View Post
I have heard some inside information from this dude called Murphy, and have collaborated it with personal experience, that the biggest wave comes just when youi think you have it all figured out!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
Jimm H

a tip...

Don't launch when I do.

Some of the biggest sets roll thru right as I start to paddle forward. I am amazed at how often the "black wall" smacks me on a dark morning, and anyone I launch with is either 10' in front (and DRY) or 20 ' back (and DRY and LAUGHING).
Jimm H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:11 PM   #8
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
Don't confuse yourself! There are no "general rules" about the ocean. The above statement is total BS. If one can predict that , than that person has control over nature." Expect the unexpected" Always be vigliant.
So those that can predict the moon cycles and the tides are in control over nature . Just checking to see if there was a pattern to wave sets. I have noticed that the bigger waves have come just before a lull between the sets. Wasn't sure if it was mere coincidence or if there was any truth to what I heard...
Old 06-28-2007, 04:32 PM   #9
bigderel
UberMember

Sets can usually be timed, you just have to watch them for a while. Sometimes sets from two different swell directions can make it pretty tough though. It's tedious to watch for twenty minutes too...but often you can find a consistent rhythm. I usually watch for a minute or two and take my chances uninformed.

Hope someone finds (and returns) your gear...hasn't happened yet, but I usually have a mask & snorkel in case of personal yard sale.
bigderel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:01 PM   #10
nunyabizness1
Maggie

Timing is something that gets better with practice. Just when you think you have the right time to make a run for it, a wave that appears to be slow moving suddenly builds up quickly and catches you. Focus on aiming the kayak straight because the slightest turn can put you into a roll. I've learned to stow my rods or lay them down and strapped so I don't lose them. I had one snap because I left it in the rod holder coming in when the waves seemed low and no big deal. Use a leash. You can pick up some cheap dogleases at Walmart if needed for an easy solution. One other suggestion that I have heard from a few people but have not tried yet is to hang your legs out on either side when coming in to slow down the landing. Also, in response to Nathan's comment on the sets coming in, I've found the sets to be mixed up and only mother nature knows what will happen. Like Jimm H, best advice, don't launch when I do because the pattern of the sets will surely change as I start to make a run for it! :-) Have fun with it and wear you PFD so if you roll and get hit in the head with your yak, you will have the help of the PFD!

Planning on getting out there to try and figure out Mother Nature this weekend,

Maggie
nunyabizness1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:06 PM   #11
sterling

Talk about unpredictable waves. I was waaay outside the surfzone a couple of years ago on my way out. Needless to say it was a huge wave day with 25+ winds. Anyway a "roque" wave wiped me out and I had to swim to shore. My kayak was on the beach upside down and all leashes did their job. Jimm H helped me get back in that day since I was so cold and pounded. Moral of the story. At least leash your gear and DON'T PUSH IT!
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:59 PM   #12
esdees
The Good Clone

I've been hit by a rogue wave before and it sucked. It hit me from the right side, flipped me and then died out. Luckily that was back when I kept all my rods leashed down for the entire trip, something I still do on the rougher days.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:08 PM   #13
h2ofishfo

yeah theyt have been breakin qiuk & hittin hard the only trick is to haul ass & take the punch the chest & freeze your azz of the rest of the morning
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:38 PM   #14
Afran
fishy

rod leashes ALWAYS! Small surf or big surf or when ever.

Strange thing is, that when I'm a boat, I look for my rod leashes while handling the gear. Must be force of habit... that explains why I always want to sit down on a PB
Old 06-28-2007, 09:58 PM   #15
madscientist

Hmmmm, lot's of strange advice on this thread. For what it's worth, here's how I time it. Walk out with the yak into just shy of waist deep water (waders help when it's chilly) and pay attention to the surge height. If it's alternating between knee high and waist high, don't go when it's knee high. Wait till you get a good 2 or 3 in a row that have you thinking you are out too deep, check to make sure there's nothing scary forming up, and jump on. Trying to judge sets sitting down in 1ft of water is almost impossible, and you have much more of the surf zone to paddle through if you get on in too shallow of water.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:58 AM   #16
BBrown

Thank you all for your advise and assistance. It is greatly appreciated. That is one thing I have come to enjoy with this site. Much like the surf "pattern", you really never know what direction a thread is going to go.

Again, if anyone happens upon my Shimano rig, give me a shout out. 619.402.0469.

Thanks again for all the insight and information.

Stay Bent -
BBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:39 PM   #17
Guyak

Finally!!!! I have found an advantage to being 6'3" 285 and kayaking My a$$ stays planted when taking LJ wavs to the chest lol

I would like to thank everyone on the board for helping me find my inner kayak self

On a serious note, after getting crushed at Carlsbad a few times I have learned that once you are in, don't stop paddling, and keep it straight. No matter what is coming at you. try to punch through and hold on tight.

Also, I stay a little warmer than you 165lb. models lol
Guyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #18
SHARK BAIT

Went out, made bait and fished.........a great day as I see it. Better than being in the office. Nice going!!

GBF[/quote]
Thats what it is all about.......being free and doing what you love
SHARK BAIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:12 PM   #19
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm H View Post
Don't launch when I do.
A classic line that goes for us too. We seem to time it perfect...for the big ones.
Our best advice, once that good sized wave is headed at you is to make sure you:
1) are as perpendicular to the wave as possible.
2) have as much forward momentum as possible.
If it's a dicey wave and you have these two things in your favor you will probably be soaked but not roll. BUT...then you have to recover quickly and make sure you have those two things in your favor should you be hit by another big one, or two, or three. You know you've paid your dues when 3 to 5 waves swamp you in succession and you still make it out with all your gear.
It feels like crap being soaked, especially when the sun ain't even up to warm you, but you are grateful to the ocean gods that you made it out...somewhat intact.
Better luck next time.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:16 PM   #20
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Being in a FnD doesn't help either. When I get swamped by a large wave to the chest, the Kayak takes a bit of time to drain all the water topside. Sometimes longer than the time it takes for another large wave to hit you again, and sometimes again. Just keep going forward, it's not like you can get any wetter. Although your reels may need a lot of extra TLC...