Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
jorluivil

What Do You Think It Was?

http://www.grindtv.com/surf/blog/300...+stirs+debate/

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 2:01pm PDT

Shark scare at famous Southern California surf spot stirs debate

By: Pete Thomas, GrindTV.com

Was that really a large great white shark cruising through a wave, mere feet from unsuspecting surfers, at a popular Southern California beach last Wednesday?

Or was it another species of shark, or something else entirely, depicted in a widely circulated photo that has generated such a buzz among surfers, particularly those who ride waves at Swami's Beach in the San Diego community of Encinitas?

Although shark sightings had been reported previously off another area beach, this one sparked controversy because of the photograph, which revealed what appeared to be the tail end of a large shark as it swam freely among surfers.

Gary Elliott, who snapped the photo, told CBS News 8 he did not see the apparent shark until he got home and looked at his images. In the same report lifeguards suggested the image was merely that of a surfer "duck diving" beneath the wave. But Ralph Collier, who runs the Shark Research Committee, identified the shark as a probable great white measuring 10-12 feet, "or a little more."

This news might have been especially unsettling to those who recalled the fatal attack by a large white shark on a swimmer off Solana Beach, two miles south of Swami's, in 2008.

Surfers and other scientists, however, remain skeptical. Nick Batcheller, a spokesman for Mitch's Surf Shop just south of Encinitas in Solana Beach, said surfers who come into the shop and who frequent the Swami's lineup are convinced that something about the image is fishy.

"It just doesn't add up," Batcheller said. "If the shark was that big it would be protruding out of the back of the wave."

Christopher Lowe, who runs the Shark Lab at Cal State Long Beach, said the tail does not look like that of a great white. Lowe, who has studied white sharks extensively off Southern California, suggested the tail might have been the fluke of a bottlenose dolphin as it swam sideways through the wave.

Salvador Jorgensen, a white shark expert at Stanford University's Hopkins Marine Station, had basically the same response. "It doesn't really look like a shark tail more than, say, a dolphin sideways in the wave," he said. "But it's impossible to say for sure from the picture alone."

Luke Tipple, and Australia-based marine biologist who has served as a host for numerous nature programs, wrote a blog post about the image under the title, "That's not a great white shark."

Tipple also suggested that if it were a 10- or 12-foot white shark, more of its body would have been evident in the photo. He added that large white sharks simply do not swim along the surface, and implied that the only way the duck-diving surfer theory made senses was if someone used a photo-editing program to remove the surfer's feet.

In the News 8 story, Elliott denied that the image had been altered and made no claim that the subject was, in fact, a large great white. In fact, like other surfers, Elliott was looking forward to paddling out at Swami's, shark or no shark.

"I don't feel threatened in the water at all," he said.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:56 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

dolphin on it's side..........or a shark
Old 09-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
THE DARKHORSE

More nonsense news...

It is the Pacific Ocean, right?

There's fish there; there's Sharks there.

Lots of them.

Judging by the photo, it's either a 1,200 lb Tuna or a Great White Shark.

I don't know whether to go surfing or fishing---I guess I'll have to do both.

...next week, a Seagull will make the news for stealing a Shrimp cocktail off the patio of the Chart House.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Sorry guys you are all wrong.

It was me after i bailed out of my kayak. I ducked dive the wave
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
dolphin on it's side..........or a shark
Looks like a dolphin crankin sideways in the surf more than a shark...or a shark...
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
PescadorPete

Wink

The latest incarnation of the Cardiff Kook
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #7
j mo

the REAL news is that a wave went unridden at Swamis.....
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Great White Dolphin?
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote