Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
TATER
GET SOME !!!

La Jolla 8-23

Beautiful OTW, even though the fishing gods didn't bless me with the long sought after WSB or YT, I was able to pull in a ton of macs, a small rock fish and a baby hali. But none the less an awesome day.

It started out at 0215 this morning my pops and i took the long trek down to la jolla shores. We got there around 0445 and there was not a soul in sight. The surf looked very manageable (about 1 to 2 feet) so being our first time we made sure absolutely everything was stored and secured. At about 0500 everything was ready to go and being the brave son that I am I volunteered my pops to go first. He pushed off and I gave him a little shove to ease the process and off he went, without the slightest of problem.

My turn... Started pushing out and hopped on, thought I had my timing right and crash... first wave crashes on my legs, still up (amazed) I keep pushing forward and crash right on my chest but i'm still making progress. One more small wave and i'm home free and boom on my chest again... The good news is I got beat up but I didn't fall off. Made it out past the break and we began to get our gear ready... After some malfunctions with my sabiki I was good to go.

We then paddled over to the pier and i had absolutely no luck making any bait... So we left there and began to paddle south to the kelp beds. While on the way I hit up a few spots and began to pick up some macaroons and my baby hali (safely released). Kept paddling finally at the kelp... Wait a second where's my pops, he must have gotten distracted by a squirrel or sumthin oh well.

Started fly lining a mac with no luck. Dropped some squid and bite after bite but no takers, until finally bam.... a decent size rock fish. Ok I can make due with that. Continued fishing my way down the kelp with alot of little bites and a few macs but nothing else. Oh well, lets go see where pops is at.

Started heading in secured all my gear and began the trek in. I get close to shore there's my pops, (standing on the beach) I begin to time the sets and start out really good and then i bobbed when i should have weaved and got turned sideways almost taking the spill. Try to Straiten out and boom in the water completely flipped, no loss of gear only my dang rock fish!

Other than loosing my fish I had an awesome day, as did my pops ( he only caught some macs BTW)
TATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
mtnbykr2

Good learning expirience I guess you had everything stowed and secured,
too bad on the slow day but anytime on the water is good, nice post thanks for sharin, you will get em
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
ChefT

Ahhh the pleasures of fishing.....

ChefT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
YakMedic

Sounds like you guys still had a good day. Enjoy these times with your dad, building memories for sure
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Nice work. lunching in the dark and no yard sale, landed got tossed and didn't lose any gear, came in with a fish, sounds like a perfect weekday.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
StinkyMatt

I love the "Fresh" unedited reports that are not jaded or tarnished.

You can feel Tater's excitment and pleasure.

Don't ever forget when you were this guy...

The joy of fishing.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote