Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-12-2016, 08:47 PM   #21
jorluivil

Ummmmmm

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:03 PM   #22
Flyak13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
Jesus!! You guys sure do go hard on people on here. Not everyone is a professional, or educated on every species of fish. I'm new around here and this site has been my go to place to learn and prepare myself whenever I hit the water. I've never caught a bsb or wsb (never targeted these fish) and I rely heavily on post like this to learn so that I don't make the same mistakes. Therefore, I hate to see people become hesitant when posting threads like these. Makes me nervous thinking about posting my catches this season. Actually, makes me nervous posting this. Not here to stir things up, I just wanna fish

Thanks for sharing. I learned a lot from this thread
Very simple rule to fallow ... When in doubt put it back, and by putting back means not ramming a game clip ( wich is used to secure fish you will be harvesting ) down its throat for a Picture, ignorance of the law is no excuse to break it, and if your going to break the law don't post a picture on the Internet about it
Flyak13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:18 PM   #23
King Saba

Quote:
Jesus!! You guys sure do go hard on people on here. Not everyone is a professional, or educated on every species of fish. I'm new around here and this site has been my go to place to learn and prepare myself whenever I hit the water. I've never caught a bsb or wsb (never targeted these fish) and I rely heavily on post like this to learn so that I don't make the same mistakes. Therefore, I hate to see people become hesitant when posting threads like these. Makes me nervous thinking about posting my catches this season. Actually, makes me nervous posting this. Not here to stir things up, I just wanna fish

lol compared to bloodydecks I'd say it's pretty tame here.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:42 PM   #24
bolocop

Flyak,
Assuming there's an investigation, there's a huge difference between taking the "5th" and tampering with evidence.

He has a right against self-incrimination (the "5th" specifically used in a court setting) but does not have a right to destroy evidence which is obstruction of justice.

You asked, there's the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyak13 View Post
So how exactly would deleting this post be interfering with an investigation that may or may not be taking place ? Oh yes i forgot this is bwe and you guys know everything , dude can and should delete it , as he has every right to not self incriminate himself , now ... Why in the hell would you throw a fish that you can't positively id but think it might be a bsb on a game clip ? Then go post a picture on a website full of cry babies? now you've got assholes like me rolling their eyes and asking themselves wtf is this guys malfunction? I mean this right here takes a special kind of stupid, if it's on the clip, it's considered taken by dfg and even with a successful release you can still possibly be cited and fined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:04 AM   #25
Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingj View Post
I did not catch the fish or put it on a stringer. Another kayaker saw me fishing nearby and came over to ask what it was. I wasn't absolutely sure but suggested it could be a bsb. I asked if I could take a pic to ID at home and he decided to release it in case I was right. Originally I couldn't find a matching description or pic but tonight I found the exact picture (in Field Guide to Pacific Coast Fishes, Eschmeyer et al) labeled as a junior Giant Sea Bass (aka BSB). I'm innocent!
Glad to hear sir. Sorry you had to experience some of the posts. Thanks again for posting.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:06 AM   #26
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
".....

... and for free bonus points at no additional charge, please tell me if these are Giant Black Sea Bass or Gulf Grouper?

You can check the teeth to determine if it is a bass or grouper. The bass will have rows of needle teeth like a largemouth bass, and a grouper will have singular conical teeth.
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:26 AM   #27
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
Anyway, they watch us with drones now anyway, so "what difference does it make?"

We're all guilty of something bad enough to put us away.

And get those damn seals that eat BSB too!

-----

FWIW:

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/...tfish/Sea-Bass

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_sea_bass

https://www.google.com/search?q=gian...w=1408&bih=758

http://kcbx.org/post/californias-gia...ear-extinction

... and for free bonus points at no additional charge, please tell me if these are Giant Black Sea Bass or Gulf Grouper?

Have to be black sea bass considering the world record gulf grouper was just over a 100lbs. Those fish look heavier than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:44 AM   #28
taggermike

Bsb arent as rare as they used to be so issues like this will come up more frequently. Like another poster said; if you don't know what it is release it. Gently, not after hanging it in the air on a game clip.

Very small 10-16" BSBs look different than the fish in this foto. They are very stocky, have large fins in relation to the body size, and are a dark red to deep purple color. And I've caught these little guys under the Coronado bridge.

We have 5 species of marine fish in so cal that you can not keep. Ever. White sharks, gulf grouper, broomtail grouper, BSB, and garabaldi. Some you'll see, most you never will, but know them. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:02 AM   #29
maquinapescado

Holy SH*T

Been staying away from here second to working full-time and going to school full-time and the day I choose to take a look................
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #30
dbrogdon5

Goodness

It's nice to know how many "experts" we have in the field of fishing. Some are passionate and some are just pricks. Hard to tell the difference now days
dbrogdon5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #31
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Very small 10-16" BSBs look different than the fish in this foto. They are very stocky, have large fins in relation to the body size, and are a dark red to deep purple color.
Only pic Ive got of a small one. Smaller than a crappie but real big fins. White tail edge.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:48 PM   #32
Vikingj

Quote:

Absolutely no offense taken and thanks to the many who offered comments. Its good to get a lively, informative discussion going with humor, and a little trash talk and I expected no less from BWE. After over 20 yrs working in marine bio I was not 100% sure so if several fisherman learned to recognize and release the next junior BSB this one mistake may help save others. PS ; can you ID this species of “wreck fish”?
Attached Images

Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:14 PM   #33
maquinapescado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingj View Post
Absolutely no offense taken and thanks to the many who offered comments. Its good to get a lively, informative discussion going with humor, and a little trash talk and I expected no less from BWE. After over 20 yrs working in marine bio I was not 100% sure so if several fisherman learned to recognize and release the next junior BSB this one mistake may help save others. PS ; can you ID this species of “wreck fish”?
I'm not following you here. 20 years of marine biology, a member here since 08' and you could not identify those spots as being trademark BSB and have the logic to throw it out when in doubt?

Did I not read something and this isn't you who kept or put the fish on a game clip? Is it a pic of someone else?
Old 03-13-2016, 02:03 PM   #34
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrogdon5 View Post
It's nice to know how many "experts" we have in the field of fishing. Some are passionate and some are just pricks. Hard to tell the difference now days

Me, I'm an expert prick

Tony, well Tony is just a prick

Last edited by jorluivil; 03-13-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:31 PM   #35
Wyota

The poster didn't catch it

Many are jumping on the poster about catching a BSB, putting it on a stringer, then taking a picture of it and posting it; A few asked whether the poster caught it or not. He stated early on, it wasn't his catch. Another angler had it, and asked for help ID'ing. The poster asked if he could take a picture of it for ID, which he did.

That being said, the actual angler obviously was unsure of the ID so should have released it from the get go, but the poster did not put in on the stringer, and led to it being released.

At least a few people now know exactly what a juvi bsb looks like, in case we ever catch one.
Wyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 04:20 PM   #36
Fishin Phil

Popcorn

Where's the popcorn?
Old 03-13-2016, 04:34 PM   #37
maquinapescado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Me, I'm an expert prick

Tony, well Tony is just a prick
When are they gonna make a like button like on Facebook?
Old 03-13-2016, 05:09 PM   #38
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by maquinapescado View Post
When are they gonna make a like button like on Facebook?

Since you're already an exprert it'll be added as soon as you become a prick

Old 03-13-2016, 09:06 PM   #39
h2ofishfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Since you're already an exprert it'll be added as soon as you become a prick
Paaaaaaanzies calm down

Last edited by h2ofishfo; 03-13-2016 at 09:20 PM.
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:38 AM   #40
mrJB

Enough...

Well la-de-da, the time has come where you can't ask an innocent question and try to do the right thing.

I'm fortunate and consider Viking and the mysterious red-kayak-fisherman to be my friends. They've both been fishing for more years than 75% of the people on this board. If they say that they had trouble identifying a fish, then that's how it was.

I am happy to fish with these guys whenever and wherever I can. The people I won't fish with are the know-it-alls, googans, and newbies that are experts after a season or two, with second or third hand information that they probably heard on the internet. You know the ones, the ones whose subjective opinions MUST be the absolute fact.

It's no surprise that the successful "old timers" eventually post less and less. My remaining consolation is knowing that the googans will probably be gone after a year or two, realizing that they really do suck at fishing, much like the rest of their lives.