Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-08-2019, 05:40 AM   #1
Corvina
Junior

Fly Fishing

Hey guys, so I just made the leap from float tube to a new Hobie Compass and am prepping it for my first trip, probably close to home here in Long Beach. My aim is to keep things as simple as possible following Murphy's law of fly fishing which says if there is anything sticking out for the fly line to catch on like rod holders etc, it will, and usually at the worst possible time. Any fly guys got any advice?
Corvina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:00 AM   #2
acorad

Hi Corvina, I love fly fishing from my Hobie!

I usually don't use any rod holders as my feet propel my Hobie so my hands are generally free.

I usually fish the kelp for calico/sand bass, or troll Redondo when the bonito are in town.

I just strip the line in and drop it between my legs onto the floor of the kayak, but I have seen others with pretty cool fly fishing line holding mats that they put there. Occasionally the line might get into the pedals, but not often.

The biggest annoyance for me is getting my line looped around the tip of the rod. It's tough to get close enough to untangle the line without dunking the reel in the water on the other end.

Not really sure why the line gets looped around the tip, I probably just need better skills, but I think I'll be getting/building a shorter rod in the near future!

Last edited by acorad; 05-08-2019 at 09:52 AM.
acorad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:26 AM   #3
dgarland10

I am just switching over from a pontoon to Hobie Mirage as well. Only fished out of it once so far, but didnt really have an issue with the line tangling, though I can see that it will happen from time to time. The biggest difference for me is trying to hold position. In my pontoon I could kick to hold position , not quite as easy with my mirage. My mirage drive is the original though so not as easy to use reverse. Got the mirage though so I can fish bigger water like around the federal wall etc. Let me know if you ever want get out, I live in Long beach.

Dave
dgarland10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:28 AM   #4
monstahfish

First thing I do on any mirage boat is take off the foot straps and cut of their mounting ears. The H-crate rod holders work for fly rods so you can keep extra rods behind you on your stripping hand side without them getting in the way or even mount more rod holders to the rail or side panels. Third thing is to maintain line control through the end of the cast. I can't tell you how many times when I first started doing this I fired a quick cast dropping the line from my stripping hand only to let a pile of line spring forward and wrap around the pedals. Good luck!
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:58 AM   #5
acorad

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahfish View Post
First thing I do on any mirage boat is take off the foot straps and cut of their mounting ears. The H-crate rod holders work for fly rods so you can keep extra rods behind you on your stripping hand side without them getting in the way or even mount more rod holders to the rail or side panels. Third thing is to maintain line control through the end of the cast. I can't tell you how many times when I first started doing this I fired a quick cast dropping the line from my stripping hand only to let a pile of line spring forward and wrap around the pedals. Good luck!

Great suggestions!

Andy
Old 05-09-2019, 01:45 PM   #6
Corvina
Junior

Thank for the input guys. I just bought two Scotty fly rod holders and track adapters off Amazon so we’ll see how line friendly the set up is before the thing hats in the water..
Corvina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:30 AM   #7
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorad View Post
Hi Corvina, I love fly fishing from my Hobie!

I usually don't use any rod holders as my feet propel my Hobie so my hands are generally free.

I usually fish the kelp for calico/sand bass, or troll Redondo when the bonito are in town.

I just strip the line in and drop it between my legs onto the floor of the kayak, but I have seen others with pretty cool fly fishing line holding mats that they put there. Occasionally the line might get into the pedals, but not often.

The biggest annoyance for me is getting my line looped around the tip of the rod. It's tough to get close enough to untangle the line without dunking the reel in the water on the other end.

Not really sure why the line gets looped around the tip, I probably just need better skills, but I think I'll be getting/building a shorter rod in the near future!

Instead of going shorter you could just go 2-piece. That way we f you wrap the tip you can pull it apart in the middle to access the tip
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:31 AM   #8
acorad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
Instead of going shorter you could just go 2-piece. That way we f you wrap the tip you can pull it apart in the middle to access the tip

Ha! Then I wouldn't have a new rod! Great idea, thanks.

Andy