Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-02-2010, 07:23 AM   #1
bigbarrels

Werner Paddle Is Stuck

Anybody have a secret to how to pull apart a a paddle when the two halves are stuck together. I have a Werner paddle that is stuck and it doesn't want to budge with force. I think that maybe some sand got in between the two pieces
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
wade

i have this problem almost every single time I go out..

Sometimes I ask someone near by to grab the other end of the paddles shaft, as I push the button and solidly without breaking the inside collar, pull them apart with solid pressure or slowly twist it off the button.
(Make sure the other person fully understands not to twist in any opposite direction rendering the paddle useless by breaking or cracking the collar..)

When its physically impossible for two people to separate, I take one of my tie down straps, and hook it attached to the truck, and wrap several times around the other paddle's shaft by the neck , NOT only on the paddles head fyi( & not the button's side)
I lean with all my weight while holding the button and slowly twist it off the button and it finally comes apart.
( make sure you dont go launch yourself on your ass when it seperates..)

Last edited by wade; 08-02-2010 at 08:51 AM.
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
Jim Sammons LJKF

If this is one of the better Werner paddles Wades method with not work and would likely damage the paddle. Is is one with the indexed ferule, like a Camano or Kaliste? IF so don't do it his way.

A method that does work at times with these models, also works with two piece rods, if they are stuck from swelling or moisture not so much sand.
Use a flexible ice pack, bag of peas, bag of ice... and wrap it around the male side of the paddle. This will cause it to shrink just enough to get them apart. Be sure to have the ice on just the male side.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
jorluivil

When mine got stuck I had my son and his friend pull on opposite ends. While they were pulling I pushed down on the locking pin/button and lightly tapped on the handle right where they come together......came apart in under a minute.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
bigbarrels

it is the Werner Camano.......first I will give the bag of frozen veggies a try.....

thanks
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
Jim Sammons LJKF

The one time shrinkage is a good thing.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
Siebler

Mr Sammons this is a Family Board, please reserve those type of comments for sites like Kayak4fish.com

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #8
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
Mr Sammons this is a Family Board, please reserve those type of comments for sites like Kayak4fish.com
Glad I did not share my original lube comment.....

Expansion contraction is the key.

You can chill out the male side to uncouple it, but personally I like to warm up the female side. All it takes is a blow dryer or heat gun. Warm that baby up and she'll be as loose as a goose. Don't overheat her though or you might get burned.

As to lube...well a little lube before coupling, can and will make it easier to part when your done paddling. Personally I find the harder I paddle the less I need lube, but your mileage may very.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote