Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2020, 05:44 AM   #1
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Exactly are we looking at? Can’t make it out. A battery that expanded?
a battery that shorted out and had an exothermic reaction. Those are all the different layers of that make up the battery. It was in the bed of my pick up and shorted out.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:32 AM   #2
TJones

Please take a look at this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
a battery that shorted out and had an exothermic reaction. Those are all the different layers of that make up the battery. It was in the bed of my pick up and shorted out.
I use a bioenno 6 volt 10 amp lipo for my vittels bait tank. The tank has a dry box to hold the battery. The battery is heat shrink wrapped with abs. The sides are paper. I wrapped the whole battery with heavy duty clear packing tape making it more water resistant. Is this thing a ticking time bomb? It is encased in a dry box when fishing. What happens to the lipo’s if they are short circuited from water such as flooding of yak? Thanks for feedback. Ps. Thanks for reaching out on my direct message.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6B84A2DE-7E89-45FD-B323-B9D9E04D3BFD.jpeg (133.6 KB, 65 views)
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:02 AM   #3
jruiz
Large Member

I don't even know why I'm wasting my time with this. This is a LIPO battery from my garage

This is a volt meter on the same 3 cell LIPO battery that I just charged. 12.5/3=4.16V

Here's a datasheet for a random LIPO cell with the charge voltage highlighted

If you somehow discovered a 4.7-5V lithium rechargeable battery, hurry up and patent it. Everyone in the battery industry knows that the electrolytes in the batteries aren't stable at that high of a voltage. What happens is that the electrolyte breaks down and starts forming CO2. Probably what happened to you guys

https://www.arl.army.mil/wp-content/...trolyteAdd.pdf

Last edited by jruiz; 05-18-2020 at 08:12 AM.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:01 PM   #4
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
I don't even know why I'm wasting my time with this. This is a LIPO battery from my garage

This is a volt meter on the same 3 cell LIPO battery that I just charged. 12.5/3=4.16V

Here's a datasheet for a random LIPO cell with the charge voltage highlighted

If you somehow discovered a 4.7-5V lithium rechargeable battery, hurry up and patent it. Everyone in the battery industry knows that the electrolytes in the batteries aren't stable at that high of a voltage. What happens is that the electrolyte breaks down and starts forming CO2. Probably what happened to you guys

https://www.arl.army.mil/wp-content/...trolyteAdd.pdf
JR, I owe you an apology, my batteries are not charging to 4.7, instead they are charging to 4.2 volts. That being said if you are using the proper charger you cannot over charge LiPo batteries when using the balance charger. My LiIo batteries charge to 3.3 volts per cell and a two cell will show 6.7 volts when freshly charged. The houses and cars burning are not because of overcharging LiPo batteries in most cases, it is from damaged batteries from a crash or some other damage. The battery in the picture shorted to my pickup bed in transport.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:48 PM   #5
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
JR, I owe you an apology, my batteries are not charging to 4.7, instead they are charging to 4.2 volts. That being said if you are using the proper charger you cannot over charge LiPo batteries when using the balance charger. My LiIo batteries charge to 3.3 volts per cell and a two cell will show 6.7 volts when freshly charged. The houses and cars burning are not because of overcharging LiPo batteries in most cases, it is from damaged batteries from a crash or some other damage. The battery in the picture shorted to my pickup bed in transport.
Do your "LiIo" say anything about LFP(Lithium Iron Phosphate) or LTO(Lithium Titanate)on them? Easier yet, send a link of what have. I'm willing to bet they're either LFP or LTO batteries which are a sublcass of lithium ion. Which can also be packaged as a LiPo battery.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote