Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2024, 05:24 PM   #1
PapaDave

San Diego Bay, 01-10

My fishing buddy and I decided to hit San Diego Bay, haven't been there in awhile so what the heck, right?

Weather was COLD, but survivable, little wind. There was an extreme tidal flow due to a King's Tide.

I got there before my friend did so I booked it to the bait receivers and loaded up with some nice sardines, small and healthy. A good start. My friend, and his wife, are more of a hook-up baits type so a kayak scope was plenty.

When my friend arrived we met up at a spot we fish for halibut. Bah, nada, just a coupe of tail biters, so we headed to another location to try our luck on some bass, my friend wanting to pre-fish for the spotty tourney coming up. Because of the strong current it was hard to stay on a spot, but we found a back eddy where we could essentially stay in one area pretty easily. And there appeared to be a lot of fish on the sonar.

As I mentioned, my friend is a plastics guy, so he started throwing those, no dice. I'm a bait guy, so I rigged up and dropped down on a location. Instant bite. Dropped another dine down and again, instant bite. My friend drifted off a bit so I called him over, he wasn't fairing so well. I gave him a few dines and told him what I was doing. He decided to use the plastics still. After about my 10th Spotty, good sized ones too, maybe even a couple of legal sized ones. All fish were released. My friend finally decided to drop a dine down and what do you know, instant bite. However, he went back to plastics, stubborn I guess.

Overall a real good day fishing, traffic coming back home sucked though, 2.5 hours, blah.
Old 01-12-2024, 01:24 AM   #2
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Reading your post....

Makes me feel how fortunate I was to have such a beautiful bay to enjoy growing up.
My dad used to duck hurt south bay.
Unfortunately most people I grew up with can't afford to live here including me peace out thanks for sharing
Old 01-12-2024, 01:44 AM   #3
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

BTW 2.5 Hour really sucks

You can always park over by sea world launching ramp straight across from Fiesta Island and wait out the traffic
I'm sure some people send the night on that dead end frontage rd worst thing that can happen is a cop will ask you to move I will not drive in traffic.
Old 01-12-2024, 06:23 AM   #4
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
You can always park over by sea world launching ramp straight across from Fiesta Island and wait out the traffic
I'm sure some people send the night on that dead end frontage rd worst thing that can happen is a cop will ask you to move I will not drive in traffic.
I'll check that out next time. I think my friend goes there when he brings his RV. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2024, 12:07 AM   #5
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

You can't miss it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
I'll check that out next time. I think my friend goes there when he brings his RV. Thanks.
Just take SeaWorld Dr west off the 5 at the stop light go left Fiesta Island is to the right and mission bay Dr
Launching ramp is just right around the corner on SeaWorld Dr west pacific hwy will get you there too go west from the shell gas station across the bridge.
Old 01-13-2024, 12:22 AM   #6
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

I think the bathrooms.....

Have showers 🚿
I know there's an rv dump station there with water hook ups