Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
wrinkles
Junior

Birthday Present

Hello everyone,

Found this site while trying to find a kayak for my son. He is turning 14 and has every video game system imaginable. I want to try to get him something that will get him out of the house this year so he can connect with something other than the internet. Any suggestions and possible offers would be wonderful. We live in Redondo Beach. >>
> >
Thanks

PS
He loves the outdoors. We camp, he surfs, we snowboard, and he has successfully caught fish and lobster so I thought a kayak might renew the interest to get out of house with mom.

Last edited by wrinkles; 01-26-2012 at 05:30 PM.
wrinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinkles View Post
Hello everyone,

Found this site while trying to find a kayak for my son. He is turning 14 and has every video game system imaginable. I want to try to get him something that will get him out of the house this year so he can connect with something other than the internet. Any suggestions and possible offers would be wonderful. We live in Redondo Beach. >
>
Thanks

PS
He loves the outdoors. We camp, he surfs, we snowboard, and he has successfully caught fish and lobster so I thought a kayak might renew the interest to get out of house with mom.
#1) Thank you for helping to slowly restore my faith in humanity. I was starting to think parents these day's didn't care about their kids playing video games and the internet as long as they sit down and keep their mouth shut lol.

#2) Welcome to the site, you will definitely find a lot of helpful people and useful information.

#3) To further assist you, can you give us a little more information on what you're looking for?

A budget would be a good place to start, also, an idea of size?

I was thinking it might not be a bad idea for you to get your son a tandem kayak. There are a few good models, like the hobies and a malibu pro tandem that work great as single person kayaks and give you the flexibility to bring another along, so your son could take his friends out with him, you and even mom could go out too. Since he's still young it wouldn't be best to make sure he always has some company. A tandem is also great if he plans to lobster because it gives him plenty of extra space to work with his gear.

Hope that helps. Good luck
Old 01-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
ChefT

What a cool dad .....
My pops gave me a Budweiser and told me to stay out of trouble ....
ChefT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:24 AM   #4
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinkles View Post
Hello everyone,

Found this site while trying to find a kayak for my son. He is turning 14 and has every video game system imaginable. I want to try to get him something that will get him out of the house this year so he can connect with something other than the internet. Any suggestions and possible offers would be wonderful. We live in Redondo Beach. >
>
Thanks

PS

My son wants a kayak, I'm considering it but I don't want to go through the motions and end up selling it because he lost interest three months later. I'm hoping to borrow a kayak from one of my really good kayaking friends and taking my son out a few times, I want to get him out a few times so that he can decide if its really something he wants to do. Have you asked him what he wants?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 01-27-2012 at 06:39 AM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:21 AM   #5
speedydk

Send a message via Yahoo to speedydk
I did it for both my sons and it has been great! Even if he doesn't care for the fishing its cool to be able to go out and paddle. Some one on one quality time is always a good thing! My only regret is I don't have enough money for two hobies I bought one for me and usually end up letting one of the boys use it when we go out sometimes they argue about who should get it. But its all good. Xmas time is probably one of the neatest times to get out and take the family for a paddle tour look at all the xmas decorations and stuff in one of the harbors its awesome on a clear and non-windy night.
Darren
speedydk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
PapaDave

I bought a second kayak for my grandsons, and daughters actually. I purchased an Outback (Hobie) as it seem to be the right size for kids and wider then most for stability. It also has the Mirage Drive system which I figured is a good thing for them as they can peddle or paddle. You can find some real good deals on a used one if you are patient.
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Look at the smile and you be the judge...

Roman used to sit for hours getting a thumb workout on the X-Box. Now he has a new hobby...and is sticking with it!

P1290638.jpg
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
wrinkles
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
#1) Thank you for helping to slowly restore my faith in humanity. I was starting to think parents these day's didn't care about their kids playing video games and the internet as long as they sit down and keep their mouth shut lol.

#2) Welcome to the site, you will definitely find a lot of helpful people and useful information.

#3) To further assist you, can you give us a little more information on what you're looking for?

A budget would be a good place to start, also, an idea of size?
Hope that helps. Good luck
Hahaha, yes I teach middle school and feel the same way about parents using games as a babysitter.

I am not sure what I am looking for and that is kind of the problem. I don’t know much about kayaks other than they are a ton of fun to paddle around. I scuba dive and my son free dives. So something that maybe has space for some gear would be great. He is a junior lifeguard and is very comfortable in the water but I would not let him go kayaking alone (protective single mom). It was hard enough letting him surf without me. So maybe a two seater or a couple single ones. My price range is limited since I am a teacher and single mom but some friends and family all said they would pitch in for a group gift if I found something that was a good deal. Hope this helps. Thanks for the warm welcome.>>
Old 01-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
wrinkles
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Have you asked him what he wants?
I haven’t asked him specifically about a kayak but he loves the water and I am trying to foster that. I am not worried about the kayak sitting or going to waste. I love the outdoors as do most of my friends and with my proximity to the water it would not sit in the garage for long.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #10
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

I don't know if this is still available, but here's a good one for you ... http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=11881&highlight=tandem+outfitter

-Ed

Last edited by RedSledTeam; 01-27-2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: fix url error
Old 01-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Try this again... http//www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=11881&highlight=tandem+outfitter